Got my new Mac Pro home, need a bit of help (ram + ssd)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rossagrant, Nov 25, 2010.

1. rossagrant macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Only opted for the 2.8 quad but now need an SSd and more ram.

In terms of ram, it comes with 3 x 1gb sticks. How many banks do I have, can I add to this ram or do I need to replace it? I can only really afford 6 or 8 gb for now!

I think I'm going to grab a 90gb ocz later as an ssd boot drive. How will I go about setting it up? The 1tb standard drive in it will be used for media and I think I'll grab a caviar black too. I know nothing about raid you see so need help here on setting the ssd as a boot and getting the os onto it with the drives in a raid set up.

So sorry for sounding so dense. This is my first delve into the world of mac pro! Thank you! ;)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can get one 4GB module to make it 7GB. You have four RAM slots so to make it +7GB, you need to take out modules

What exactly do you want to put in RAID? You can't put the SSD and HDs in RAID, but you can put the two HDs in RAID.

3. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hell hammer. Thanks for that, big help! I'm just so new to this I haven't got a clue what's best hd wise. The SSD will boot and the other drives will be a 1tb and 2tb.

Open to suggestions on what the best set up is. One will need to hold all the content files from logic and final cut studio, and I'd like to have a drive that has windows 7 on it but again don't know where best to put that. I'll mostly be editing audio and video so need to put those files somewhere too.

Any ideas what's best?
    Thanks!

4. Hellhammer, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You could get a second 1TB HD and put the 1TBs in RAID 0 to get more speed. The partition the 2TB array the way you want, maybe 100GB-ish for Windows 7 and the rest for Logic and Final Cut plus other files.

Just remember to backup! I would get a 2TB drive (Caviar Green for instance) and use it as a backup drive.

EDIT: Saw your other post. Just install the drives and put the install disc in. Hold C while booting to boot from the disc. You can follow this tutorial. Remember that you need to format the SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with Disk Utility in order to install OS X in it.

I can help you via MSN (kriz_u_93@hotmail.com) or even via TeamViewer if needed. Much easier and faster than through MR

5. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

Hell hammer, I really can't thank you enough! I'm going to start on the mac in about an hours time and if I get stuck, it would be great to get some help off you so thanks for offering!

I'll be in touch!
    :)

6. johnnymg, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg