Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drummy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
York/Liverpool
Hello guys,

Got my Mac Pro today (spec in my sig) and have run into some issues. I think I have a solution but just want to run it by some people who know what they're talking about perhaps a little better than I.

Right.

Basically all was going swimmingly, my newly situated home folder is now chock full of a the files I wanted to migrate from the MBP, my PT and Logic Projects are all in place, all the applications if have come to know and love were exactly where they had been on my old computer and I have minused all the guff that I had on my MBP that I didn't want. Then I hit a problem. This naughty little boy tried to install some cracked Waves Plug-ins for Pro Tools (though in fairness they were given to me by a teacher...no excuse I know and as you'll see I've learnt my lesson...). Let me tell you it wasn't worth the hassle.

Presumably PACE have developed a work around for this cracked Plug-in bundle that was leaked late last year, and said I required InterLok extensions to run the plug-ins and - indirectly - use Pro Tools. And like a ignorant little fool I installed without a minutes thought. Obviously, since the plug-ins weren't legit this caused me a world of pain. Anyone that knows these PACE extensions will know that it's pretty much just malware! It roots itself deep and - in my case at least - provides you with an uninstall terminal command that doesn't bloody work! As a knock on effect I have become unable to uninstall the waves bundle, and then as a further knock on effect, have become unable to use Pro Tools...which is the reason I bought the computer. I have, at this point, been well and truly shafted by the big anti-piracy dildo.

Now on to my plan...will the following work...

1. I use the OSX disc that came with the Mac Pro, to install OSX on a spare drive of the 3 1TBs
2. Once that's done I select it as a start up disk and restart.
3. I then format the previous OS drive (the SSD)
4. I then use CCC to clone the drive over to the SSD once more.
5. I specify that to be the OS start up disk again
6. Restart
7. I then format the drive that served as a temporary OS
8. I then build from scratch. Again!

This is the best way I can think of doing it but please let me know if this will solve my issues before I go steaming off with it! For me this turns out to be pretty painless (because most of the time today was spent waiting for files to transfer, and since they're safely stored on the two HDs that aren't involved in this process, I daresay I can just continue as normal as far as these files are concerned once the OS is restored)

Thanks for your time and sorry for the essay!

Dan

Drummy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
York/Liverpool
Did that. Didn't work. I'm now repeating the process but reformatting every drive so that its pretty much like it was yesterday morning! Any helpful suggestions in addition to this would be much appreciated!

MFDoom

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
I'm not terribly familiar with ProTools but in your situation, I'd wipe everything and reinstall. If your data files are on another disk they should be ok, but I'd wipe everything system related. Uf you wipe everything and start from scratch you should be fine. Happy hunting

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'd wipe, reinstall, migrate only your data from time machine (READ: not appications) and reinstall all of your programs. You will find that if you do it right, all of the programs are installed correctly, and all of your settings are already there. I've done this a couple of times with no problems, and everything is always running smoothly afterwards.

sochet

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
Actually I'd say the problem was in the migration itself. Logic and PT don't like being moved to another computer (same with waves) Even if you took a hard drive from an old MP and put it in a new one (Like I did) you're still gonna have some problems. AFAIK it logs something in your logic board that's unique to the computer, in effect to stop you from copying the program to other computers.

I'd grab everything of your computer (Samples, project files, bounces and other stuff) re-install the OS and apps.

As for PACE, I haven't heard of that before, and besides unless you updated pace yourself there's no way they could have put that on your computer!

I use the cracked waves plugins (out of principle, they want me to pay $200 just so I can run it on Snow Leopard with no extra features! :eek: ) and it's all fine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.