Got my PC showing up on my finder, asking for a password???

rph105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
got my pc showing up on my sidebar in the finder, what shall i do now its asking for a password and says connection failed in the top, when i connect as and put in my MAC user name and password or my PC username and password, says i entered an invalid username or password

can someone please help me

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
got my pc showing up on my sidebar in the finder, what shall i do now its asking for a password and says connection failed in the top, when i connect as and put in my MAC user name and password or my PC username and password, says i entered an invalid username or password

can someone please help me
What version of windows are you running on the PC?

If its XP Home, then just go to control panel and go through the Network Setup Wizard. You should then be able to connect with your PC Username and Password.

If its XP Pro or Vista, its not as easy but still pretty straight forward to set up. What i can tell you is its most likely the problem is on the PC end as its rejected your credentials.

Oh and it will always be your PC Username and Password you need to set as thats the account on your PC.

welshy1812

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
I have a similar problem but I don't have a password set up for my user on my PC yet Leopard asks for a password ?

I can see 2 PCs on my network, as I mentioned one doesn't have a password set up and I can't get access, the other has a password set up but I want to access the shared section on it and accessing as a guest just doesn't work (on either).

Anyon got any ideas/solutions?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I have a similar problem but I don't have a password set up for my user on my PC yet Leopard asks for a password ?

I can see 2 PCs on my network, as I mentioned one doesn't have a password set up and I can't get access, the other has a password set up but I want to access the shared section on it and accessing as a guest just doesn't work (on either).

Anyon got any ideas/solutions?
You have to have a password to be able to connect. Also, you have to make sure that in your Share settings on Windows, that your user account has rights to read/write to that shared folder.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
It's possible to have no password set, and just leave the field blank when connecting. My Windows using friends have things set up this way since XP doesn't require a password by default. :eek:

rph105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
You have to have a password to be able to connect. Also, you have to make sure that in your Share settings on Windows, that your user account has rights to read/write to that shared folder.
how can i change my share settings on windows

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.