Got my photos back into iPhoto - how to make sure they stay there?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by annk, Dec 25, 2010.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I've had a lot of trouble with iPhoto, most of it my own making. After careless moving of photos and backups, I've now FINALLY found all my images and gotten them back into iPhoto.

iPhoto is open right now, and I don't dare to close it until I'm certain that all these photos will still be there next time I open it. I've apparently had more than one iPhoto library (and most likely still do), but the images in the program right now are the ones I want to be my library.

Can I just close iPhoto and know that they'll be there next time? Should I export them to a folder on my desktop (for example), and point to that / import it the next time I open the program? Ideally I want my iPhoto library on my external HHD.

I've made a real mess of this, and want to clean up once and for all. :eek:

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Ensure that the Copy to iPhoto Library option is ticked in iPhoto Preferences>Advanced, and all should be well. Don't mess around with the folders within the iPhoto package, but do everything from within the iPhoto main window, and all should remain well.

See here for how to move your Library:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1229?viewlocale=en_US

3. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

It's ticked ^.

What's making me nervous is that my iPhoto library isn't where it ought to be by default. This is what I've got:

1. In home -> Pictures, I have a file called iPhoto library, but it's a package, and only 14.5 MB. It's got a plain white sheet-of-paper icon.
    2. In the home folder I've got a file called iPhoto library (that shows the correct icon), and it's 615 MB. But with my 7000 images, I would think my library would be GB, not MB.
    3. On my external disc, I've got yet another iPhoto library (with the correct icon) that's 14 GB.

Ideally I suppose I should merge them somehow. But right now I don't know how to check exactly which file is the library iPhoto is reading. I want to assume it's the 14 GB file, but how can I check? :confused:

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Hold Option when you open iPhoto, it will let you choose the library (and show you the location of each). It will also tell you the default library.

5. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Once I've done that ^ and have decided which library is the "real" one, how do I tell iPhoto which one to open by default? Does the default library have to be in the Pictures folder, or can it be elsewhere?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will use the most recently opened one until you tell it otherwise.

e.g.:

Library1 is current default ...
    Option-iPhoto, choose Library2 ... library2 is default, until you manually open a different library or option-iPhoto again.

7. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Cool, thanks. :) It's opening the huge library now, and the library is on my external, where I want it to be.

One last question: the package file I described above, in my home -> Pictures: what is it, and is Pictures where it's supposed to be?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That might be the original library, created the very first time you opened iPhoto, but it is empty because you never added photos to it.