Got my Powermac G5! :)

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Well I now have a G5! :) It's a lovely PowerPC Mac and I'm loving it!

There just seems to be something about this Mac that my Mini or Macbook Pro isn't giving me, the G5 feels like a real Mac.

Here's a photo!

Attachments

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Congratulations on your new Powermac.

It is more of a computer than the mini and the macbook. That is why my powermac is my main computer even if it is obsolete and the software is not fully supported anymore.

I just love it.

estrides

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Congrats! the G5 is a fine machine. I have 3 myself and truly use them as primary machines. One of them is my main recording studio machine!

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Congratulations on your new Powermac.

It is more of a computer than the mini and the macbook. That is why my powermac is my main computer even if it is obsolete and the software is not fully supported anymore.

I just love it.
Congrats! the G5 is a fine machine. I have 3 myself and truly use them as primary machines. One of them is my main recording studio machine!
Yeah I know what you mean there to be honest; Leopard is quite nice aswell. :p

Do you think I'll be able to get 5 years out of this machine? There's just something about it that my Intel Macs aren't giving me. It's true what Cassie said; PPC Macs are true Macs and Macs now are just Macs with Apple logos on them, and they are no different to any other PC since current Macs use Intel xD

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Don't feel bad, my desk wont accommodate the height beside the monitor or below the desk surface.
Is my late 2005 obsolete? I don't mind though, it looks awesome too. :) And it does what I need it to do :)

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Yeah I know what you mean there to be honest; Leopard is quite nice aswell. :p

Do you think I'll be able to get 5 years out of this machine? There's just something about it that my Intel Macs aren't giving me. It's true what Cassie said; PPC Macs are true Macs and Macs now are just Macs with Apple logos on them, and they are no different to any other PC since current Macs use Intel xD
Amen to that.

I just recently acquired and iMac 21.5" for a good price. And I think I want to resell it. It feels like it's not a mac.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Amen to that.

I just recently acquired and iMac 21.5" for a good price. And I think I want to resell it. It feels like it's not a mac.
Yeah I know the feeling now. :( :( What does it feel like? :p

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
That feeling that it feels like cheap even with all those iCandy brought with Mountain Lion. It feels not right, it feels like I am working on an enlarge iPhone. It feels like that I am so dumb.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
That feeling that it feels like cheap even with all those iCandy brought with Mountain Lion. It feels not right, it feels like I am working on an enlarge iPhone. It feels like that I am so dumb.
I can't really compare my PowerMac G5 with my Mac mini to my Macbook Pro, I guess they're totally different machines. :p

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Powermac G5, 2.0ghz duel, 8gb Mem, 2 x 160gb hd, ATI 9800 128mb video, running Leopard :cool:
Nice :) Pretty much the same as me :p Is it best to run Tiger or Leopard on G5s? I guess Leopard would be as it's a bit more up to date?

jbarley

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Started with a G4 Cube, now I have 3, all resting, moved on to a dual 1.8 G5 power mac which is currently sulking in a corner since being replaced by a G5 2.5 quad power mac.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Started with a G4 Cube, now I have 3, all resting, moved on to a dual 1.8 G5 power mac which is currently sulking in a corner since I moved up to a G5 2.5 quad power mac.
Nice :p Where did you get the Cube from? And is it worth buying from eBay?

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
I got my cube with all the original stuff + upgraded hard drive, apple cinema display, speakers, keyboard, and mouse for $150. I recently saw one on SF bay area craigslist for $50.

Addressing your question as to whether or not you would be able to get some years out of this:

I got my 12" powerbook 1.33 when I was 7. That was in 2002. I'm about to enter my senior year of high school and I still use it. It really depends on what you intend to do. Put on Leopard, since there is much more support. If you intend to use iTunes, browse the web, email, microsoft office, and do the occasional photoshop work then the G5 is a fine machine. However, you're stuck with CS4 I believe...

Even still, CS4 is a great set of programs.