Got my unlocked, unactivated iPhone stolen..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ihav0frnds, Sep 28, 2013.

1. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

i got a replacement iphone from apple, and i had it unlocked but never activated. i was trying to sell it on craigslist. because i am way too trusting and believing in the goodness of people, i tried to meet up with a person to sell it. he said he wanted to take a look at the screen to see if it was new and just grabbed it from my hand and ran off. i felt like an idiot, but now i was wondering if there's anythign i can do to get the phone blocked. i called att, and they said they can't block it because it was never activated on the network. they then transferred me to apple, who said they couldn't do much either. am i SOL in getting it blocked?

feel real dumb, though financially it might work out better since i have insurance and will get a check cut out to me for the full $700 then i guess.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Nothing you can really do in this case except file your insurance. For Craigslist if the deal is worth over $200 always meet inside a business or something where the person can't run off or rob you. Lesson learned.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

In order do meet with the person you'd have had to make some kind of contact.

Don't you have their phone number, email or something?

4. ihav0frnds thread starter macrumors 6502

i have a cell, but who knows if that's stolen too

5. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

LOL Sorry I picture the guy running off and you just standing there wondering whats going on? Did you even run after him? I would have beat the !@#$ out of him. I still to this day don't understand why people meet strangers off the internet. If he wasn't going to paypal you and ship then don't do the deal. If you had to meet bring friends or like said above meet in public place.

6. ihav0frnds thread starter macrumors 6502

no i'm not going to chase him. maybe he has a knife or gun. not worth it since i have insurance.

7. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Good answer man

8. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

9. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Yeah, meet at a public place like inside a Starbucks or better yet meet at a police station. If a person is willing to go there the chances are very, very high that they're not going to try to rob you.

10. Statusnone88, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Sorry you had this happen, brother. Can't be a good feeling. File your insurance claim, take it as a lesson learned, and thank God he just peaced out with your phone instead of pulling a knife or a gun on you. I've met some druggies that'll stab you for $500 bucks.

So in hindsight, we're all glad you're safe and you made it out with only mental scars. Just be safe next time please.

11. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

That's a good idea. Meet indoors where it's harder to run, where there are cops and cameras.

But even then, I would not just hand the phone over. I would tell him to give me something like his driver's license first.

12. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Report it to the police. Your options are limited so I'd do every bit of the little you can.

13. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

That's just one reason I will never use craigslist.

14. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Good suggestion. Many stores have security cameras inside and out and I'd make it a polite point with the potential buyer that's why you're choosing that spot.

If this happened in California it would be a robbery and it would get more traction.

15. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

From the bottom of my heart, I am so sorry. I am ridiculously fed up with people who just take and take. In these cases I wana suggest bringing a friend and always go in a public place, always. Like meet inside a Starbucks INSIDE a target store. Or look into selling on amazon, I pretty much switched everything to that simply cause I'm tired of the craigslist jerks.

Keep your chin up!

16. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I've normally had good luck meeting people for craigslist. Usually mall food courts or a target shopping center worked for me. I always took a friend just in case. I've recently been using eBay just to not have to deal with the hassle of hoping I won't get robbed or that the money isn't real.

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Why do people use craigslist. If you want to sell something, use eBay and mail it!

18. 617aircav Suspended

In other threads people say dont use ebay, its full of scam buyers. Both can be good or bad. I rarely sell phones on CL, but I buy at least once a week. I meet the seller in a public place like outside a popular restaurant. We both drove there so there is no chance of me running with his phone. he hands me the phone and i inspect it. Once satisfied I pay him and its done. Pretty simple. The OP handed his phone to a buyer on foot who can just make a run for it. Unlucky.

19. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

What are the other reasons?

20. sucka free macrumors member

I make people meet me at the police station, no one is ever going to try something stupid there !

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Sorry you got robbed and glad you realized a phone (even a sweet, sweet phone) is not worth injury to yourself. No way to know if he had some buddies around the corner. Of course I had to read this before preparing to put an ad on CL. :(

22. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Man, this sucks to hear. I hope the idiot gets caught. Good luck!

23. StephenAndrew macrumors member

Ebay final value fee: 9%, Paypal fee: 3%, shipping with insurance: $20, scammers, it can get lost in the mail...there are lots of reasons NOT to sell on eBay. I'd rather sell in person and save myself the fees and hassle.

That said, I always try meet people from CL in my bank's lobby. Safe, public, and lots of security cameras. I've had dozens of CL transactions and all of them went smoothly. Well, except for a few of those "causal encounters" :D

24. megapopular macrumors 6502a

No pressure! Pick a local police station as the place to meet to sell the phone and you're bound to get decent people as buyers. Give a set time and show up early, let the buyer know you want to take a picture of them or their license upon arrival... Arriving early allows you to see their car and maybe take a pic of their license plate if they're driving. All of this takes little effort and helps raise your chances of having a safe sale!

25. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

I am happy you took a wise decision to cut your losses rather than risk your life. Only a thug would take the risk of snatching and running away, and they are capable of retaliating if they are at risk of going back to prison for parole violation etc. That is why I never ever sell anything, particularly on CL. I give furniture etc., to charity and I just keep my old phones and some times give to relatives.