Got new iPhone 5 on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brounmoney, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Brounmoney macrumors 6502

So I have had smart phones for a long time and have had an unlimited data plan for a long time too. My phone right before this was the galaxy nexus international version. I could tether and use wifi hotspot without an AT&T plan for it. Well with that said I wanted the tethering for the iPhone 5 cause the LTE is so fast.

So my question is should I switch to the 5 gb data to get wifi hotspot? They do not offer it for unlimited data plans. My hang up is that I would lose my unlimited plan. I was keeping up with how much data I was using on my GNex and it was never more than 3gb, but still would it be worth losing unlimited?

2. auero macrumors 65816

3. Brounmoney thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems to be around 3. I am not sure that I have ever gone over 3g

4. Brounmoney thread starter macrumors 6502

It is normally around 2gb but sometimes I use 3gb. Which I think it would work just have that hang up about not have unlimited which is not truly unlimited any ways.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

In order to obtain hotspot you're going to have to give up unlimited unfortunately.

6. Brounmoney thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea that is my only problem. I just wanted to see if other people that it was worth doing

7. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

I finally gave up my unlimited for the shared family plan. I rarely used more than 2GB but knowing that I can tether and will use more with LTE, I was concerned with now 3 iPhones I would go over. Going from 4GB to 6GB was only $1 more for me, so I have an extra 2GB buffer.

I did have a tough time deciding to give up the unlimited, but looking at it practically it was an easy decision. As you said, throttling and no tether really knock the legs out from under it, plus for me I never really pushed the unlimited barrier. Still, I felt like I was caving in and giving up something special, which I got over after a few days.

8. Brounmoney thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea that is what my thoughts seemed to be. I am just going to see over the next few days if I really do use the tether enough to give up unlimited. Thanks for the advice.