got one white pixel on black on new iMac retina, swap or keep it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by abley22, Nov 25, 2014.

1. abley22 macrumors member

Hi.

I just found one little white pixel on my retina iMac, left corner.
    It not visible before you get a dark color pics and set the light on the screen up a bit, the strange thing is that it not visible from all angle, if i move my head to left or right the pixel disappear but get visible again, it visible from a angle and not visible from another. Easy to find if i go real close and take a black pics, but from normal positions it not visible at all.

Found it because i read about light bleech and i took the test on a black pics.

Could return it without a hassle, the rule is simple from the store, if i found another or are not happy i got the money back.
    But is it necessary?
    What is the name of this pixel fault and could more of them show up since one of them already show up?

Thanks for all the help i could get :)

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Is it necessary? If you can live with it, keep it. If not, return it. Very simple imo.

3. abley22 thread starter macrumors member

yes, it not visible from normal position when you use it, but if i take a black pics there and go real close, almost with my eyes into the screen and look after it i could see it, but not from every angel.

Do this type of pixel issue got a name? And could i get more?
    If it normal and i don't risk to get more then i think its ok to keep it.
    Not every day i can buy a expensive iMac like this, so i want everything to be 100% :) But of course if it have nothing to say i could keep it as it is.

I have seen pixel issue before but then it was a pixel with a red color that was visible from all angle.

4. roberthallin macrumors member

That sounds like a stuck pixel, meaning a pixel that's stuck on one color and doesn't change as it's supposed to. A dead pixel is when the pixel doesn't work at all and just stays "off", or black.

I have one dead pixel on each of my screens, a 27" iMac with 2.5k resolution and a MBP with the older "hi res" screen (1680x1050). Both were there when the computers were brand new, and no new pixel errors have come about since then (2011). In both cases I concidered returning them and hoping to get one without any pixel-issues, but as the days went I just forgot about it since they're not visible unless I actively want to see them, which seems like a pretty pointless exercise, and it doesn't interfer with anything i use my computers for. I can definitely relate to wanting everything to be perfect when shelfing out this amount of cash, but if you're anything like me it's not going to take anything away from your experience if you decide to keep it. But if you got that nagging feeling of "I'll never forget that it's there" or otherwise suspect that you're going to regret keeping it then return it and hope for one without any defects while you still can :) Good luck!

5. abley22 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for good answer. I have to do like you and just wait a few days and see how it goes :)

6. Sean92110 macrumors newbie

I've got the exact same thing and although it appears to be a dead pixel, it's seems more like the layer keeping the backlight out seems to have a small damage. Close by, I actually do have a dead / stuck pixel (keeps on being red).

Here's the thing: I ordered a swap machine which I've received on Friday after a long wait. I set the machine up and something kept bugging me. So I've spent some time comparing screens and although it's hard to tell the exact difference, I would say the new machines screen is a bit warmer, the white isn't just as bright and the grey has a slight yellow tinge.

All in all, I'll actually be keeping the one with the pixel errors. Everytime I look at it, it's a big joy - the white is immensely pure and that's a great motivation if you do some text editing etc.

And the pixel error? Sitting at a normal distance, it's almost impossible to pinpoint its exact location. I really have to move close in order to find it. On a regular display, it'd bug the hell out of me - on Retina, it's bearable.

There's only the worry left: If there's one stuck pixel, often times many more pop up in the time to come. I really don't feel like investing the time swapping the machine the third time and still not knowing what I'll be getting, but we'll see ...

7. abley22 thread starter macrumors member

Yes i know what you mean, the screen is more warm/yellow from the bottom and up to the middle? And on top it is colder?

I have notice that on white screen, on email or other things like that..

8. Sean92110 macrumors newbie

Abley - exactly like that! In my case, it's (... or was) a lot warmer to the left side and became a really pristine white the more you moved to the right.

Just using a big white screen doesn't really tell you much about it; but if you open up four finder windows, with a little space to each other and to the screen borders, you can easily tell if you experience this issue. The grey is more like a muddy grey with a yellow tint, and the fonts just don't appear as sharp.

I've read all the posts about the 2012 iMacs and how people complained about the screen and about how other people got sick of even hearing about it. Well - to avoid Paranoia, I had to colleagues look at the screen, both not too savvy about IT ... and I had the two iMacs side by side and they said right away that one looks yellowisher.

So ... if you have stuck pixels AND this issue, return the iMac. Right now, I'm still on the iMac with the two stucks pixels since I usually don't see them (I'd have to look hard and have a dark background), but the white I see almost all the time - writing, browsing, etc.; and it's a joy to the eyes having a clear, crisp display there.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I know exactly what you mean. The bottom half of my screen is warmer then the top half. The effect is subtle but noticeable. Otherwise the display is good, no dead/stuck pixels or an excessive amount of backlight bleed here.

10. abley22 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it easy to see it when you scroll on pages and reed text in the yellow spotted area.

This is not a problem for everybody but a big issue to me looked from my side.

I returned the iMac 5k with the white lightning pixel on black. Got my money back, i bought it again and this time i got a screen with the yellow area from the bottom. I went back with it and got refund.
    Since i got 2 5k with this issue i dont want to buy a iMac again.
    I went to another store and buy a apple thunderbolt screen and the 2014 mac mini with fusion drive.

Then i got 2 new problems!
    Yellow spots/area from bottom and up to the middle and the wifi is slow and unstable, can not find other wifi than my closest neighbor.

This thing drives me crazy, i don't want to return another apple computer and buy it again and hope that i don't get new issues..
    This things stealing my time and I'm so frustrated.
    Other people would many laugh about it but from my side its a nightmare.

I could always just keep my new thunderbolt screen and accept the yellow tint from bottom since it no so mutch that it was on the iMac, but it don´t feels right..

11. Sean92110 macrumors newbie

Don't worry about other people laughing - you're spending a hell of a lot of money on a Retina iMac, you want good quality.

I could live with the two stuck pixels (although Apple themselves urged for an exchange since they told me it's likely more pixel defects might appear ... haha); but I couldn't live with the yellowish parts of the screen. I love bright white and it keeps me motivated to work. I've got a top-notch, first class regular office light which cost a lot more than standard lamps - I care about ergonomy and since I spend a lot of time in front of the screen, it needs to be perfect as well.

They'll send me another iMac now; if it's really white + no stuck pixels, I'll keep it. If not, I'll go with the white but stuck pixel one ....

I would recommend - return the mini and get another riMac ... you might get lucky ... And you're absolutely right, it's a waste of time, but what can we do ...