Got problems with my mac, in terms of lockups/lag/freeze(not total lockdown)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zipn, Aug 2, 2012.

1. zipn macrumors newbie

Hey guys as the topic says, I'm having problems with my mac, its been running great for a year soon, but suddenly I have experienced one problem with it, a very very annoying one, as i can't find the source which means, i might sit with a broken laptop and i need to find out if its something i can fix, els i need it send in before the 1year recovery is over!

Ill try to explain the problem short, as its kinda hard for me to actually explain the problem!

If i play games(in this case league of legends) it will freeze, like total lag freeze and sound will go away, then after 1-3seconds it will come back and the sound will return with a HIGH pitch screechy sound, like max volume even though its turned up to only like 30%, unbearable sound basically. Or if i watch a youtube video, it will do some small constant interrupts in sound, while doing a little dull beep not a beep as in BEEP but a very quiet beep when it lags and then another quiet beep as it returns, hard to explain but in general its total freeze for 1-3seconds and then comes back, sometimes it can do it rapidly, like 5times in a row other times it happens 2 times, its a bit random.

I've done a memtest for few hours now without finding a problem there, so starting to go away from blaming it on the ram.

(just short info, i use a SSD in the main bay, for the OSX and games etc. and I've then taken the 750gb toshiba that followed my mac and placed it in a opti-bay and then removed the cd-rom to make room for the hard drive there, and i use the toshiba for music/films etc.)

This weekend it started, so i did a totally clean install, as i first though it was software issues, but apparently its not as i still got the problem!so at this point, theres nothing on my toshiba, only some games and other general stuff on my ssd

As I'm writing this, I'm listening to youtube stuff, just to hear the lags(although because of the very quiet beep and occasional lock up when writing i don't need youtube, just makes it easier to spot)

I am running a Drive genius 3 in the background, while it was running the SSD i met very few bumps/lags/freeze almost none, but now as its running my toshiba/external hard drive, with nothing on, it suddenly does the lag ALOT, like i mean, ALOT now.

This kinda tells me the hdd is broken, but then again, I can save stuff on it, look it up, in general i can play with it as nothing is wrong, so I'm considering maybe its the connection somewhere that is broken?

What I'm really trying to say is, PLEASE HELP, if you have had this problem before or might know whats wrong i will take anything with wide open arms, I am desperate, and i really prefer Not to be forced to send it in to apple, hopping to fix the problem myself!

If you need any extra description, or need me to run a program or terminal commando, please tell me, anything that can help me, help you, help me, i will do almost with no question asked!

Yours sincerely, the in need of help kid, that started to love mac after 10years of windows!

2. zipn thread starter macrumors newbie

576views

not a single one got something to add? :( I'm so much in need of help!

3. joemod macrumors regular

Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor and sort on % CPU. When viewing youtube I would bet that it is the Flash plugin. In my mac it keeps using >20% cpu.
    As of League of Legends I don't know. Maybe it is using too flash although I doubt it. To check it I think that you will have to run it in Windowed mode instead of fullscreen (if there is such an option).

4. zipn thread starter macrumors newbie

thing is, i know what lag is, lag as in computer need a sec extra to follow up or bait extra loading time.

I can tell that isn't it, this is not normal lag, this is a freeze, a broken action that shouldn't happen, as i said i can hear when it happens, even if i don't have anything running other than the machine, it does small glitch beeps very quietly. So I am pretty sure its some hardware that is broken sadly, but i can't seem to find out where this broken link in hardware is! :(

5. zipn thread starter macrumors newbie

820views

Must be someone in that herd that got just a slight idea ! :)

6. zipn thread starter macrumors newbie

could it be a bad connection in the opti-bay? even though the harddisk in it got nothing on it? maybe when its trying to communicate with the computer the bad connection makes it lag?