Got ripped off on eBay, have mysterious iPhone that says "No Service"!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ventro, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ventro macrumors 6502a

So I got ripped off on eBay. I sent a buyer my new, unlocked 3GS, they returned it, except it isn't the same one I sent out. It's a scratched up old 3G. And it says "No Service" all the time.

I'm in the middle of trying to get my money back, but in the mean time I really need a working phone. The new mystery 3G says "No Service" when I put any of my SIM cards in.

It is jailbroken, with the old bootrom, on firmware 3.1.3. For some reason, it doesn't show ultrasn0w installed as a package in Cydia.

What do I need to do to get the phone working again? Just install ultrasn0w?

2. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Do you have a valid att/tmobile sim? you're gonna need the ultrasn0w package, too.

3. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Yes - install ultrasn0w.

So let me get this straight? You sold a 3gs to someone, they wanted a refund, so they send you back an old 3g? That sucks dude.

I used to make a lot of money off of ebay but haven't used it for this very reason in about 2 years.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bootrom doesnt matter on 3G models.
    Do you have an AT&T sim or tmobile?
    You need to unlock it so install ultrasnow to use unofficial simcards.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This is why people should do proper research when buying something. Just go read about ultrasn0w and use it. You'll how your phone will now work.

6. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

He didn't buy something, he got ripped off (according to the story we're told,lol).

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

So many inconsistencies in that story. Bolded sections to emphasize my points of conflicts. Is the OP the buyer or seller? Wy not contact Paypal/eBay?

8. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

we still don't know the whole story but I think he is saying that he SOLD his 3GS to someone - (they have phone, he has money) but they complained or something so they reversed/returned everything... but now he he doesn't have his iPhone and they have an iPhone w/o paying for it - hence trying to "get money back" - maybe it should read "get money for the phone"

9. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I thought he sold his 3GS to a buyer on ebay. The buyer from ebay wanted to return it for unknown reason and sent a 3G back that says "NO SERVICE."

That unknown reason may or may not have been to pull a scheme to trade a non-working 3G for a 3GS.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which is why when dealing in eBay (scammer riddled environment) you document every thing you do. As a buyer always protect yourself. Make a video+pics of you packing the iPhone, a video+pics of you sending it. If there is a return, a video+pics of the return. Everything is evidence that helps your cause.

OP did not do his homework. OP is in a mess of his making. He should be on the phone with eBay or Paypal.

11. ventro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Correct. I put my 3GS on eBay (new after a warranty replacement, software unlocked). This guy bought it. When they received it, they filed a dispute on PayPal saying the unlock didn't work right, and that they wanted to return. I googled the problem and it was a simple fix that required a bit of computer knowledge. They said they didn't want to mess with the phone, so I accepted the return.

Turns out, they sent back their old 3G. The original phone was on Fido in Canada, and I have no idea what the returned phone was on originally.

I did record the original serial numbers, IMEI, etc, and have photocopies of all warranty documents I sent with the phone (That I did not get back). I contacted Paypal, and they said that the money will be automatically refunded to the guy, and that after it I need to appeal the decision immediately and explain why they don't deserve the money. This process will take 30+ days. I need a working phone until then.

Needless to say I am never using eBay/Paypal for anything again, ever.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, what a nightmare.
    I got lucky I sold my 3GS to a good buyer without any probs.
    But scams like this happen all the time on ebay.
    Its way too much BS and drama to sell something and hope that you dont fall victim and have to fight for your money while ebay/paypal protects the buyer and most of the times tells the seller to eat the loss.

13. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I used to build and sell mountain bikes for profit on ebay. With items over $300 I would also demain to speak to the person before the transaction went through.

Furthermore, ebay is useful, but it's a pain in the ass the last 2 to 3 years.

Good luck with your situation - you got scammed, there is no doubt about it here.

Sure hope it works out - not sure we can help you here except watch people get into an argument over this.

Seems like this thread is done :)

14. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

Wow this really sucks! I know its a long shot now but u should still dispute this on eBay and file a complain against this buyer.

15. wanzer macrumors member

You obviously have no clue about eBay/PayPal. There are no inconsistencies in his story. The OP sold his 3GS, and now the fraudulent buyer has decided to "return the phone" for a refund. What happens is that the buyer would initiate a claims with PayPal for a misrepresented item. PayPal contacts the seller, telling him that the buyer has requested to return the item. The buyer then ships back the "old 3G" with a tracking number that they would provide to PayPal as proof they shipped it back. PayPal does not care whether they sent a phone or a brick, since they only recognize the tracking number, and once it shows it has been delivered, PayPal would take the money out of your account and return it to the buyer. If you were smart enough to withdraw the funds from your account, your account would have a "negative" balance from the return and if not paid back to PayPal could lead to your account being suspended, maybe even sued if the amount was large enough.

To make sure PayPal itself is not being ripped off because of this, they now have a new policy that they would "hold" the funds for a particular transaction until the buyer has approved the item they bought. Even more problems for the seller, since he potentially can be out both the money and the merchandise.

There is no way to protect yourself from this if you are the seller. You are delusional to think that having videos of you packing, shipping, etc. will help your cause, since they don't prove anything (and more importantly since PayPal won't accept that as evidence). Quite frankly I find it rude and offensive that you called out the OP as him being "in a mess of his making" without knowing all the details, or because you simply are ignorant on how easily a seller on eBay can be ripped off these days.

16. doc2142 macrumors member

That sucks, that guy is a scum and is the reason ebay is going down hill. However ebay/paypal isn't bad for small things. I always order chargers and other small things that are below 10 bucks and you get good deals if you look right. Most of the items too last longer then what you pay for in stores.

17. wanzer macrumors member

Exactly.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Lesson learned here: Avoid eBay. Deal locally.

19. ventro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah. I sold my 2G and 3G on eBay the last couple years, and had no problems. I guess 3rd time's the charm :eek:

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

eBay was once good, but it got degeenrated by scammers and by eBay's own fault of not helping the seller as well.

I dealt in Craigslist to sell my unlocked 3GS. Meet the seller in public location (Best Buy parking lot) and he checked what he needed, gave me the cash, and we parted ways. Simple.

21. ventro thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is all not sounding good :(

I have all relevant documentation. I have a photocopy of the warranty documentation with the original serial number, I have copies of the the original serial number, IMEI, model number, etc. Basically I have complete photographic proof that this phone is not mine.

Has any seller ever gotten their money back through the Paypal dispute process? Is it even possible, or do they always side with the buyer?

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont lose hope bro.
    Its possible and I hope you do get your money back and the scammer what he deserves.
    And with all this proof I really hope they take your side.

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Contact eBay and tell them you have proof this isn't the phone you sent out. Tell them you have documentation stating otherwise.

24. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I have actually gotten my money back, but it was on a wheelset that was worth over $1500 USD.

Like others have said, keep plug'n away and it and whatever happens happens. You just have to give it a try.

I personally would try to contact ebay from every angle. Their fraud protection department was esp. helpful with me

Good luck and sorry to hear about this.

25. grahamcracker macrumors newbie

grahamcracker

I think you should actually try and involve the police in the area of the buyer as he has actually stolen YOUR phone as well. Sounds like you have plenty of info that he returned a phone that is not yours. It's not like it will make your situation any worse and it will probably freak the crap out of the scammer