Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

five5outh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
So I bought an iphone off craigslist. I met up with the guy and gave me the iphone, he had the "plug-in to itunes to activate " logo on it, so before I can check the features on it, I stupidly gave him my $140 and trusted him that everything works.

Anywho here are the problems that came with it.

1. The camera shutter won't open when taking pictures
2. I get the No service or weak service signal when I put in my ATT sim card
3. The WiFi is extremely weak (I have to be on top of my router for it to read it)

Everything else is minor repairs or nuisances I can deal with.

My advice is, what should I do with it? I'm not going to sell it back and rip someone else off CL.. so what are my options?

Thanks

kim2272

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Sunshine State
I doubt that the phone is still under warranty with Apple Care but that would be an option if it is. Other than that there is not much more you can do. I am not gonna tell you what you should have done before purchasing it but next time be more careful when buying things off craigslist. You're human and we all make mistakes so don't beat yourself up about it. Perhaps you can sell it on eBay and try to get some of your money back. Make sure to state the issues it has so that someone else doesn't get ripped off. Good luck!

rrandyy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Simple: Call him back and tell him the phone is not working. See if he'll return your money.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
So I bought an iphone off craigslist. I met up with the guy and gave me the iphone, he had the "plug-in to itunes to activate " logo on it, so before I can check the features on it, I stupidly gave him my $140 and trusted him that everything works.

Anywho here are the problems that came with it.

1. The camera shutter won't open when taking pictures
2. I get the No service or weak service signal when I put in my ATT sim card
3. The WiFi is extremely weak (I have to be on top of my router for it to read it)

Everything else is minor repairs or nuisances I can deal with.

My advice is, what should I do with it? I'm not going to sell it back and rip someone else off CL.. so what are my options?

Thanks

Let me first say, it was a dumb move to do that...

Secondly, does the phone have a sort of warranty on it?

If so, then take it to the Apple store, see a genius and see if he feels nice enough to replace it.

Heatdepot

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
Well you should've been a little suspicious considering those are selling for over $300 on eBay.

Sell it on eBay. You can be honest and disclose all the problems and still get $200. Even broken 3G 8GB are selling for $120-150.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.