Got SSD. Want to install OS but keep some special folders on old drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bruntoj, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Bruntoj macrumors newbie

Mac newbie here (years of Windoze experience). SSD just arrived and I've got it in the 2nd optical bay ('09 Mac Pro) and partitioned/formatted as extended journaled.

I'd like to do a clean install of Snow Leopard onto it, but keep my old drive for bulk data, like iTunes library and movies etc. but I'm not sure how. I did some research a few months ago and it didn't sound easy to have "special" folders like Movies, Music, Pictures on your non-boot drive and still have it integrate seamlessly in apps. Maybe I got the wrong impression?

Also, once the SSD is bootable, is there anything I need to do to the old drive. Just reformat it? Will my new OS "see" my old Time Machine backup set?

Any suggestions, links, how-to's or checklists I can follow?

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The time machine uses your NIC address for identification. Just use migration from time machine for the SSD drive and adjust the exclusions to time machine to set the new drive for inclusion in the backup.

It is a good idea to use an older or small new SATA drive to make a clone copy of the SSD in case you ever have to restore it and you may not want to go through the lengthier process of fresh instal and time machine.

Regarding data storage of apps you will have to go through the individual apps like iTunes or EyeTV to set the storage to your mass storage drive, but you need to do this only once if you keep an updated clone.

3. Photios macrumors member

Photios

I've got a question regarding this as well...

Here's what I did... I've got an ssd as my startup volume. Through system preferences:Accounts, I right clicked on my user (admin) account, whereby I clicked on the advanced button. Through this, I set up my user folder to be on another drive.

Here's my question: How do I back up everything? Usually, I use carbon copy cloner to just back up my main drive, but now I have two drives I have to worry about. What would you recommend... getting two drives for back up, one for each drive (system and data) or something else I'm not thinking of? Would Time Machine address this situation?

Thanks!