Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolocity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Central New York
I luckily found the last 17" widescreen iMac at Comp USA, seems they recieved 5 the night before, got there just in time. I'm really impressed with it so far, although I did have one LCD burnout, not a bad one, though. Didn't come with Jag, but I won't mind paying $20 for it when it's available.. if theres anything you want to know about it just ask.. really impressed, I'll be writing apple later and let 'em know..

- John

coolocity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Central New York
Originally posted by gmstudio
*sigh*...The Apple Store still shows mine as "Being Assembled."

Lucky bastard. :p

Paul

Yip, I ordered one from Mac Mall, which gave me a hard time in the first place. I swear I'll never order from them again. They charged me before even shipping the damn thing, then stated that it was "backordered" and now it's taking them a few days to get my money back.. But yeah, I cancelled my order.

You may want to call comp USA on a daily basis, as the guy (Al) that works at the one in Syracuse told me their expecting 10 or so a week, and aern't taking advanced orders.. guess I just got lucky.

- John

p.s. Has anyone else ever had a bad experience with Mac Mall?

gmstudio

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio
Mega apologies for the inappropriate language...

and now...:drumroll:

My CompUsa had exactly 2 in stock today at lunch! One was on display and one was sitting quietly in its box, just waiting for my Discover card!

Thank you thank you, coolocity. Had I not seen this thread, I would have never wandered over to CompUsa at lunchtime today.

Now she sits in my car, patiently waiting for 5:30 for me to take her home.

Paul

Captnroger

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by coolocity

p.s. Has anyone else ever had a bad experience with Mac Mall?

I've called them on more than one occassion planning on placing a pre-order for yet-to-be-release hardware and software, and each time got an 'attitude'. Rather than drag their name through the mud, just suffice it to say that I won't be ordering from them again after my 17" imac bungle.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by verbose101

Mate, try to avoid that kinda language, arn and the mods will be on your case, see for yourself. :D

If it's not censored, in general it's ok.

just use common sense... and don't make it a point to try to get around any language censors there are. I don't want everyone to get all uptight about it. :)

arn

coolocity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Central New York
Mega apologies for the inappropriate language...

and now...:drumroll:

My CompUsa had exactly 2 in stock today at lunch! One was on display and one was sitting quietly in its box, just waiting for my Discover card!

Thank you thank you, coolocity. Had I not seen this thread, I would have never wandered over to CompUsa at lunchtime today.

Now she sits in my car, patiently waiting for 5:30 for me to take her home.

Paul

Hope you enjoy, she's a beaut!

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Can you please tell me the amount (exactly) what you paid for the new imac?
(and wich model ram etc).
I writing a letter to apple because of the idiotic high prices over here in europe.
Thanks in advance!

gmstudio

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio
$1999.97 + Tax

Standard package 17" iMac 80 Gig/256MB/800mhz

No pix because I don't have a camera. My new mac is for my recording studio. I ethernetted it to my G3/300 last night and began to lifeboat my song files over to her. She's nice, and that widescreen is PERFECT for digital audio...a 32 channel mixing window fits perfectly along the bottom and waveforms appear super-crisp for editing.

A minor scary moment when I began to play back a large mix and got MORE stuttering and hiccuping, but then I realized (I THINK) that I had asked Cubase to look for the .aiff files over on the other mac and it was trying to play things back through the ethernet connection. (I think that was my problem...hope it was, anyway...that's the whole reason I got this thing!)

My only wish is that I would have juiced up the memory. Another 256 would be a nice cushon.

Oh, and I should add that I'm booting in 9.2. OS X sure is pretty looking, but none of my apps are written for it yet. My upgrade of Reason is due tomorrow, and that's optimized for OS X, so we'll see how that goes.

Some other interesting tidbits: (mind you the last new mac I purchased was the aformentioned G3/300 back in "98 or so...) The computer came with a black DVD-R, a couple of blank CD-Rs, install software for 9.2 and 10.1.5, 6 discs of software restoration, a hard drive toolkit disc, and some odd cloth-like thing. My wife figured it was for wiping the monitor. I have no idea.

Everything was well packed. I feel like the monitor arm is a bit "loose", but the monitor does sit still where you put it. I'd feel better if I could tighten it somehow, but not a worry yet. No dead pixels as far as I could tell. The whole thing is very lightweight, and I do plan on moving it up out of the studio to the porch to work on mixes every so often.

I'm a computer user, not a computer tweaker, so that limits my expertise on any other details you might want. I'll try if you'd like, though.

Paul

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
:)

Don't worry,
You got the sweetest desktop out there. I just saw one the other day for the first time, and my jaw hit the ground. Unreal, really unreal. Hey, isn't that like an oximorron? :D

Enjoy that puppy, and when you get X.2 on there, it is going to rock.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
$1999.97 + Tax

Standard package 17" iMac 80 Gig/256MB/800mhz

No pix because I don't have a camera. My new mac is for my recording studio. I ethernetted it to my G3/300 last night and began to lifeboat my song files over to her. She's nice, and that widescreen is PERFECT for digital audio...a 32 channel mixing window fits perfectly along the bottom and waveforms appear super-crisp for editing.

A minor scary moment when I began to play back a large mix and got MORE stuttering and hiccuping, but then I realized (I THINK) that I had asked Cubase to look for the .aiff files over on the other mac and it was trying to play things back through the ethernet connection. (I think that was my problem...hope it was, anyway...that's the whole reason I got this thing!)

My only wish is that I would have juiced up the memory. Another 256 would be a nice cushon.

Oh, and I should add that I'm booting in 9.2. OS X sure is pretty looking, but none of my apps are written for it yet. My upgrade of Reason is due tomorrow, and that's optimized for OS X, so we'll see how that goes.

Some other interesting tidbits: (mind you the last new mac I purchased was the aformentioned G3/300 back in "98 or so...) The computer came with a black DVD-R, a couple of blank CD-Rs, install software for 9.2 and 10.1.5, 6 discs of software restoration, a hard drive toolkit disc, and some odd cloth-like thing. My wife figured it was for wiping the monitor. I have no idea.

Everything was well packed. I feel like the monitor arm is a bit "loose", but the monitor does sit still where you put it. I'd feel better if I could tighten it somehow, but not a worry yet. No dead pixels as far as I could tell. The whole thing is very lightweight, and I do plan on moving it up out of the studio to the porch to work on mixes every so often.

I'm a computer user, not a computer tweaker, so that limits my expertise on any other details you might want. I'll try if you'd like, though.

Paul

great! thanks for the info!
but... I'm missing 1 part. how much is/was the tax?
Here it is 19%
Thanks for all the help!

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Iwannamac

What country are you in?

We have 10% sales tax here in Tuscaloosa Alabama. That is one of the nice things about buying online from out of state.

There is no tax :)

gmstudio

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio
Actually, when I was shopping for my iMac, I called MacMall, MacZone and The Apple Store. All three were going to charge me MY county's tax PLUS shipping, making it cheaper in the end to buy locally.

I thought this was extremely odd. I buy all sorts of equipment for my studio through the mail and have never been charged tax, but it seemed that I couldn't escape it when I was buying my computer.

Paul

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
I had to exchange my 17". It had some type of defect and just got a call to pick it up at the store. Any of you know if the 17" are shipping now with jaguar inside?? I should find out later today and will post...

the 17" really is a great deal - DVDR / 80gig hard drive /800mhz G4 and of course that amazin 17" display. cant beat the price

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC

Sure, kick a guy while he's down. :)

So howz come I never 'eard of this joint until the day AFTER I bought mine?

I'd eat my own head for some of that extra RAM.

Paul

how much is ram backtothemac?
256?
512?

i want to upgrade the ram pretty soon

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Iwannamac

What country are you in?

We have 10% sales tax here in Tuscaloosa Alabama. That is one of the nice things about buying online from out of state.

There is no tax :)

I'm in Holland. Here we have 19%
the 17 inch is here 2129 EURO (= $2078.84) WITHOUT the 19 % tax.

I'm going to send a letter to apple about this.

gmstudio

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio
Originally posted by iwantanewmac

I'm in Holland. Here we have 19%
the 17 inch is here 2129 EURO (= $2078.84) WITHOUT the 19 % tax.

I'm going to send a letter to apple about this.

Pardon my ignorance, but how is this Apple's problem? That's only about $100 more for the base price in US$$, and taxes are up to Holland, not Apple.

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.