Got the new AEBS? can I just use my old TC as a wireless HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MythicFrost, Nov 4, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

OK, I've got the new AEBS, I have an old time capsule and I am wondering if I can use it just as wireless hard drive? it won't slow down the network will it?

The new one is the updated model of the already better model that runs on two frequencies/bandwidths, the TC does neither.

Any idea's if it will be OK? or is there a way to just configure it as a wireless hard drive that a computer can connect to to backup?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U should probably setup the the old TC to extend your wireless network. Have the new AEBS connected to your cable/dsl modem.

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hi thanks for your reply,
    I have my AEBS connected to my modem, I'm worried if I extend the network the TC will cause the AEBS to stop operating on dual frequencies (since the TC cannot) and also the AEBS is much faster than the TC and I am also worried it would slow the entire network to the TC's speed.

Does anyone know if that would happen or not?

Thanks

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you don't need the TC to extend your network, you could connect it to the AEBS via Ethernet and have it set up in Bridge Mode. Then you could create a separate SSID, so in essence your network would be Tri Band (this is what I've done). I have one 802.11n only (5GHz), one 802.11n only (2.4GHz), and one 802.11b/g/n. Or you could set it up to join as a wireless client.

http://www.cmu.edu/computing/doc/network/time-capsule/timecapsule-pdf.pdf

Just a word of warning, if you want b/g compatibility on your guest network, then the 2.4GHz band has to be b/g compatible. It seems that although it does create a separate, isolated SSID, it still uses the two regular bands' settings. For example, my AEBS is set up using n only 5GHz and b/g/n 2.4GHz bands, with my TC being n only 2.4GHz. I can connect to the guest network using my MBP and get 802.11n 5GHz speeds, and I can also connect using my iPhone at g speeds. But if I set my AEBS to have only 802.11n only on both bands, my iPhone can't connect to the guest network since neither of the original bands supports g.

Also, just to let you know, the bands are separate. So if a b/g device joins your 2.4GHz band, it won't slow down the 5GHz band to b/g speeds. And the TC that you have is capable of joining either the 5GHz or the 2.4GHz band as a client I believe (if you wanna go down that route).

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Cool idea... but do you have to wear lead underwear in your house?! :p ;)

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Haha, nah! I'm hoping that the exposure will eventually give me some sort of super powers... maybe x-ray vision? *crosses fingers*

7. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

question about new AEBS

Hi guys, while you are on the subject of the new AEBS, I have a quick question maybe you can answer.

How much better is the newest AEBS over the previous generation? I'm talking about the two simultaneous dual band ones.

There is a refurbished old one for $129 and the new one is $179, so i was just wondering if it was worth the extra 50 bucks.

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I posted some differences here... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=809879

9. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Thanks. the range is the only thing that kind of scares me, but it should be ok in our house, its pretty open and not very big. I may have to just get the new one and get it at Best Buy where I can use my Reward Zone Premium Silver status to return it if it doesn't work like I want.