Got the OK...now what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by volntitan, Sep 19, 2012.

1. volntitan macrumors 6502

So sitting watching TV this morning when a story on the iphone 5 came on. My wife said "guess you'll be wanting that". I said "sure", thinking she was just yanking my chain. She then respond that I should get one since I love the new gadgets. I kind of figured that I was going to wait for awhile before getting a 5 but this is one of those rare opportunities where the wife gave the unexpected gadget thumbs up...

So obviously I missed the preorder date and now Apple and AT&T arrival dates would be well into next month. I wanted to sell my iphone thru the Ebay instant deal because they are offering the best price. My dilemma is this...Ebay will give you until Oct. 1st to send your phone in, but if I order thru Apple or AT&T, it will be middle of next month before the phone gets in likely. I don't want to be without a phone for a long period and can't do the wait in line thing, so any tips on the best way to possibly snag a 32 gb? Do I just go ahead and preorder and if so, where is the best place? Do I just wait until Friday and then call around and see if one of the Apple stores/AT&T stores get some and hope maybe they have extras by the time I'm off work (I know...fat chance)?

Any tips from the "experts" would be great. I got the OK and history says I should take advantage before the window shuts ;)

2. leenak macrumors 68020

You should've talked to the wife sooner. I was all like 'hey hubby, new iPhones and iPod's are coming out, I'm thinking about an iPod' it warmed things up then I transitioned into saying it may be time for an iPhone and bam, no complaints so I was ready to order :)

Anyway, I'd probably pre-order from Apple if I were you because I think that I'll be faster/less stress than stores but if you happen to find it in a store, cancel your order on Apple?

3. 4rtemidis macrumors regular

4rtemidis

Just go and buy one this friday...
    Or order it and wait for the arrival...

That's it.

4. M87 macrumors 65816

5. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Or don't get married to a controlling nag. The OP's story worked out good, but you see it all the time, don't lt her run your life.

6. mb2008 macrumors regular

In past launches I have walked into an Apple store 1-3 days after D-Day and just waited an hour or two until a new shipment came in. But they now have to hold stock for launch days in other countries and the chances of any shipment having the right memory/carrier/color combo are slimmer. If you have a conveniently located Apple store, this is probably still your best bet.

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

8. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Naaa...been married for 28 years and wouldn't trade my life with any 48 yr old single guy. Not whipped at all. I am a beer nerd and it is an expensive habit, so she is very tolerant. I was Planning on getting one. And told myself that I would wait...now wish I hadnt. That's on me.

So I can cancel a preorder from apple? Thought maybe Friday afternoon I would try the best buy/radio shack/new apple store in the mall and see if I can "luck" out. I know, a pipe dream

9. 4rtemidis macrumors regular

4rtemidis

Whipped like the family pig! :)

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Guess what, I'm married too. Have 3 kids, a home, and all the bills and bliss that goes with it...And I have NEVER had to wait for my wife's approval before I got any gadget. And if I was ever in a spot similar to the OP's story, I'd fix it the next day with divorce papers. That's just crazy...Trying to jump on the wife's rare approval...and equally crazy is the fact that you missed the preorders because she you didn't have approval last week. Sorry OP..that's really pathetic.

11. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm probably wording it wrong. The post was meant to be more humorous. If I really wanted something, I would get it. I just hadn't really thought about getting one right away until I started looking at selling my 4. It's like if you are sitting around and the wife said something like "we should look at getting (insert electronic device here)"....and then it's go time. I don't need her approval to buy anything, but I also don't buy any large ticket type item without discussing it first. This is more about me being lazy and waiting to long to order it.

12. leenak macrumors 68020

Obviously you guys are basing your conclusions on very little info. What if he has had a spending issue in the past? What if their house is overflowing with various gadgets? What if they were saving for some bigger items and it wasn't in the budget previously?

I generally use my husband to temper my gadget and big item purchases. Sure, a couple hundred dollars may not be a big deal for us but it can add up over time and it may just mean getting 'stuff' we don't need. Maybe they have a similar relationship.

13. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you can cancel an Apple preorder, as long as it doesn't going into prepping for shipment. And with this wait time, that won't be for a while lol. I have a preorder for October 5th and will leave it until Friday. I'll call around and see if any stores have any iPhones left later in the day. If they do, I'll cancel the Apple preorder and my upgrade will be back available by the time I get to the store. Otherwise I'll just need to wait it out.

Stores will also probably be getting more shipments this weekend and next week, especially Apple and carrier stores. Just because you don't get one Friday doesn't mean you have to wait until mid-October.

14. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I believe when the iPhone 4 came out, after the first day (two? three?) instead of doing lineups they started taking reservations. I think some people were quite surprised at how quickly they started filling out those reservations. So, if you're unable to get one on Friday, I'd try to get into the store as soon as you can to get your name on a list.

15. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. I don't need "permission" or it isn't that we can't afford it, it's just I'm no peach to live with. I have 2 beer fridges and a closet full of beer that I have spent a few thousand on acquiring, so it is more about consideration than permission.

James..I'll do that. I'll preorder thru apple today and then do my search. Hopefully the eBay price won't go down that much. I have a 32 gb now, but trying to decide if I should cut back on loading the music/photos on it an just get a 16. I assume beyond the storage space, there isn't any difference.

16. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Arrrrg, mates! It's important to consider your wife's feelings in financial matters....arrr You don't want them to waste money on fancy purses when they can just go to marshalls or scully's marine imports, and they don't want us to spend 500+ on a silly phone when our current one does everything we need it to do. Arrrrggg...buy a sword instead, mate!

Talk to the wife and compromise before she takes your own sword to yer throat and sinks you to the bottom of the sea. Arrrrrrr

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Just walk into a store Friday.

Apple
    Carrier
    Walmart
    Radio Shack
    Sams
    Best Buy

This all assumes you have checked and that you are currently eligible for an upgrade, right?

18. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep...fully eligible.

19. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Mr. Wendel... Yeeeaaaahhhh yeah.

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

21. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

[​IMG]

22. mryanwalker, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

mryanwalker macrumors newbie

Wow, dude. Seriously? Divorce?
    I've been married 3 years now. Happily married, at that. We have one joint bank account that both our salaries go in to, so we also have discussions on what will come out of it. Being an adult isn't all about being able to get what you want exactly when you want it.
    More often than not, my wife and I agree on purchases. However, when the 4s came out, I wanted it, but my wife wanted a china cabinet. I bought her the cabinet instead of getting myself an iPhone. Not because I'm whipped, not because she told me I couldn't get the phone, but because I love her, and the excitement on her face is way more important to me than a phone.

23. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

This guy gets it, just like me. Kudos to you sir. I've been married for 5 years and seeing my wife truly excited and happy for a gift is way better than a phone for myself. Marriage is a team effort. My wife and I have a joint account and we talk about every purchase made to ensure we are saving money and paying all the bills together.

24. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Wife rant

My situation is actually opposite. Although my love and obsession for gadgets surpasses my wife's, my wife's CRAVING for them surpasses more than mine. And she's a woman (Stereotyping here!).

She simply wants every single latest phone, especially the offerings from Apple. And it MUST be white for an iOS device.

And she's now stuck on her white iPhone 4 is because, you know, I won't let her. Well, not exactly. I wanted to upgrade together with her. Not that I'm not earning enough $ for her to splurge or whatever rubbish . I wanted to walk to the Apple Store/Verizon Store and get the iPhone 5 together. Most probably the Verizon store. My contract and hers has ended long ago with the iPhone 4.

She wanted the white iPod touch when it came out although I told her it wasn't much of a difference (she has a black one). She wanted the white 4S when it came out and I told her it wasn't a big upgrade from the 4. I won't be surprised if she came home with an iPhone 5 on friday from grocery shopping. She has been craving for it ever since September 12.

Not only iOS devices. And macs too. She wanted the Retina Macbook Pro when she had a late 2011 one with a 17 inch screen. And complained that the Macbook's display should come in white too.

Women.

It wasn't exactly frustrating. But more of a pressing need to satisfy her desires. I certainly felt the pressure. I have a pretty good income now and I can certainly afford them for her, but I can't just let her have it. She doesn't really need all of them. She doesn't work and she's just a housewife. (really, to be more practical and stereotypical!)

She certainly doesn't need a retina macbook pro for her to watch her movies and read her email.
    And I don't think she's materialistic. She's pretty frugal except for her obsession for Apple products. She goes insane when she goes into an Apple store.
    But I'll give in as she takes care of my darling kids. :eek:

And By the way I'm not a controlling husband with the absolute power to money. We have a joint bank account.

----------

Totally agree with your decision! I feel that its not a matter of being hen-pecked but simply kindly and happily giving way to one another so see smiles on one another faces. In the end we are happy, the kids are happy as well. One happy family.
    My wife goes crazy over Apple products. She had desires for every Apple product. Especially the iPhone. She knows I want her to upgrade together with her. I have my opinions to whether she should really give in and get every new white iOS device Apple releases and she listens. And always gives in happily. However, I in return did not compromise and bought her a White new iPad as its a device she always uses when she relaxes after a tiring day of housekeeping. I feel that women should be satisfied to their needs, but not overly.

25. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That was an extreme, but I agree with the overall message. I never have to ask my wife for approval on buying a gadget, same as she doesn't need my approval to buy something.

Combining finances is fine, but as certain portions of your finances are dedicated to groceries and such. You both should have separate "allowances." Not for gas, lunch, etc.. but to spend on things for yourself.

As far as the cabinet is concerned, that would fall under a household item, which is separate from our personal spending. I get your point though, I think structure is key.

To answer OP I'd walk into a store rather than order at this point.