Got the wife a new MBP 15". Now I need to xfer from her PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mylstar, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Mylstar macrumors member

I got her music to the Mac but I could not get the album covers to come over. Even "get album art" via iTunes does nothing. Any ideas?
    Her ipod is set for windows. I'm not sure what to do or what will happen if I restore to factory then hook it up to the Mac. I want to make sure the music transfer I did via the pc to Ipod to Mac is ok before I erase the iPod.

IS there an easy way to move here contacts over from the PC (XP) to the Mac.

I've been a Mac guy since 2003 but even moving things from a PC to a Mac is very frustrating for me.

Thanks for any help.

2. GregE macrumors 6502

I moved my music from my PC to my iMac a year ago. I remember trying it a few different ways. I tried Senuti and just couldn't get it to work for me.

On the PC, I originally used my own folder with my music in it. I remember consolidating it in order to move it from my folder to the iTunes music folder. I think this will explain how to do it better than I can.

http://www.tunequest.org/migrating-your-itunes-library-from-windows-to-mac/20061105/

Also, after I got them on the iMac and could play them, I did reformat my iPod so it was in Mac format. I then downloaded all of my songs again. I still had them on the PC so if I screwed something up, that was my backup. I think as long as your MBP can play them, you are ok.

As for her contacts, how are they stored on the PC. I have been running Outlook in Fusion and just moved over to Entourage. I used Outlook 2 Mac in order to bring over my e-mail, contacts, and calendar and it worked great once I figured it out. I used the trial version first to test it. It will let you bring over 5 of each.

Hope that helps

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Can you just backup your itunes library to disk then import that.

4. mstout macrumors member

I believe the guys at Genius bar will move your info from one computer to the other.

5. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

They charge you 99$ if you have one PC to a MAC... BUT if you copy your music aka itunes folder onto the desktop of your new mac yourself they do it for free. The moment you involve another PC is the moment they charge you.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

iTunes automatically downloads album art. You don't have to transfer the art. You have to have an iTunes account in order for it to download new art.

7. iphonematt Guest

No. If you have bought a new mac, just bring in your old PC, your Mac and the receipt and they will do it for free.

8. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Not what my local Apple store told me... I walked up to two different Geniuses and they said they charge 99$ for it. Even if you buy it right in front of them in their own store.