Got tired of waiting for AT&T Preorder and Bought off Ebay. Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wifi442, Sep 24, 2012.

1. wifi442 macrumors newbie

I pre-ordered from AT&T only to find out I won't get it until sometime in mid October. I got lucky and bought an Iphone 5 64GB for only a few bucks over retail (non upgrade) cost. I will sell the 64GB I preordered when it arrives and hopefully recoup most of my $

What do I need to get my phone up and running? The seller says its a sealed box. He is asking if he should activate it or just send it out sealed. I have an Iphone 4 now. Can I just toss my sim card in (trim it down of course) and restore my backup and be good? Thanks! First post. Long time lurker here :)

2. DJ.Nickk macrumors regular

DJ.Nickk

Number one: Ask for it sealed when you get the iPhone it will come with an AT&T Nano Sim during setup it will ask you to input your number, last 4 digits SSN and billing zip code. Make sure you pop out the sim on the iPhone 4 15 min before you do this. Then follow the screen your iPhone will activate.

Number 2: Set up as new iphone (Recommended) and then just go to iCloud and restore your contacts you want a fresh OS with no old cache from your iPhone 4.

Number 3: Enjoy the major upgrade from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5

3. wifi442 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I see. So the phone I get from eBay will be treated as if it was the one I pre ordered then? Sounds simple enough. I thought maybe there was something in each phone like it might tie it to back to his account number or something.

Thanks for the info
    Can't wait till it gets here. Saw a demo at a BB today and it pushed me over the edge of wanting vs being patient :)

4. wifi442 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I got the phone today. It followed the instruction but it did not ask for my phone # or social or any of that. It just said activate. It appears to have finished but still says no service. I am currently restoring the Icloud backup from my Iphone 4. Will that restore my service once it's completed?

5. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

You'll likely have to call your provider in order to activate the phone service if it hasn't already done so. My iPhone 5 (upgraded purch from Apple) began to setup as soon as I turned it ON, first thing. Then the iPhone went thru the steps outlined by poster above, turned OFF the service to my iPhone 4, turned ON the service to iPhone 5 and then requested that I open iTunes and connect to complete setup. It was fairly automatic.

Your provider isn't expecting your service to change before the date that they have assigned to your iPhone ordered from them. You have to notify them.

I am using AT&T.

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

7. wifi442 thread starter macrumors newbie

Called At&T and got it switched over. Piece of cake. Yes Arnezie it was a lot of $ but once I sell the pre order when it shows I'll be even money again.

This phone is awesome was worth the small hassle of selling the other one. :)

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Call up AT&T and have them transfer your account from the SIM card in your current phone to the one that's in the iPhone. The numbers are stamped onto the back of the cards. I had to do this last year when I got my 4S as I was upgrading from a BlackBerry (with a full-sized SIM) to an off-contract iPhone 4S (with a Micro-SIM).