Got to front of line SOLD OUT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Sep 21, 2012.

1. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Got into a short line on Wall St. A rep came outside of the ATT store and told everyone in line "we have plenty of phones". Another person also came out and did a head count. Waited some more and got to the front of the line. Already getting excited because I can sense it's about to be in my hands.

Rep comes out and tells everyone they are sold out of every model. This followed with people screaming at her as to why she told everyone there was "plenty of phones".

I didn't really understand why a major outlet on Wall St. would only get like 30-40 phones in total for launch day. I guess the supply of iP5's is much less than anticipated.

2. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

3. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

That sucks a lot, I'm sorry. That said, who goes to a carrier store to buy one? Everyone knows that outside of pre-orders stores usually get but a handful of devices to sell to walk-ins. If you want an iPhone on launch day it's usually best to go directly to the source, i.e. an Apple Store. I bet all day you'll be able to buy one at the SoHo store, it's just a matter of waiting through the line.

Good luck.

4. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Should of known Wall Street = FAIL!

go try a BestBuy.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That bites but I guess that's the risk of waiting in line. Hopefully you weren't in line for a long time. :(

6. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

7. Rob9874 macrumors 6502

I got burned like that at an AT&T store for one of the early iPhone releases. I go to the Apple store now on release day.

8. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

Maybe about an hour in line. This is just a warning to take any information while IN LINE with a grain of salt. Don't get your hopes up until you are inside the store and it's in your hands.

----------

When I got in line there was about 30-40 people in front of me.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wise advise. Until you get one in hand, don't believe anything you hear.

10. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

try the apple store they have enough stock to go the whole day normally

11. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I was second in line at one of my local AT&T stores. Walked out at 8:15 with my shiny new Black iPhone 5. I also got there 4 hours early.

12. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

I ain't crazy. I'm in manhattan. Any apple store in the area is swamped. Plus i'm at work so I can't sneak out for the whole day lol.

13. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Why didn't you preorder it last Friday like all the other smart people did ?

14. ripper998 macrumors regular

Was 18th in line at the store by my house, got one after a thirty minute wait.

15. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

on a family plan out of state. ATT was only shipping to the billing address. Don't misunderstand, I'm not THAT upset about it. It's just a phone and I can wait a few more weeks.

16. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Yea same here. I passed the 5th ave store this morning and the line was not horrible. Try one after work and if that fails hit happy hour :D

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's great and all but the OP kind of got screwed. If an AT&T rep screams they have plenty I think it would be acceptable to assume you're golden. Big bummer for the OP.

18. echaos1210 macrumors member

im hearing from a friend of an apple employee that the apple store in long island, ny has lots of iphones after the line was done im heading there now

19. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

20. Kilo-9 macrumors member

I arrived at the closest AT&T store at around 6:30 AM...I was 6th in line. The manager came out a little before 8:00 and read off the inventory. Less than 20 phones total...only four 32 gb models...2 black, 2 white. They were taken by the first 4 in line. I left and drove to another AT&T store several miles away and walked out with a black 32 gb at about 9:15. The second store had much more stock...lucky for me.

21. supervelous macrumors 6502

That sucks. Being on Wall St and then being told they were out after initially being told there was enough, sounds like some 1%ers called the store and made them an offer they couldn't refuse - $1,000 per phone with the employees splitting the profit

22. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

Happened to me on iDay 1 of the iPhone 3G. That's why I don't bother with carriers on release dates anymore.

23. Iusername20 macrumors regular

24. bigdogdeebs macrumors member

The store just north on broadway was sold out as well. He said that the stores around there didn't receive very many phones. They might have more later today, told me that the Apple store might be my best bet.

I think I'm just going to cancel my preorder since AT&T didn't process until Saturday, and I never even received an e-mail with an expected ship date. Try my luck at various stores this weekend.

25. bigdogdeebs macrumors member

Do you know which one? Thanks!