Got to see the Gold today, NOT impressed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1981d, Sep 28, 2013.

1. 1981d macrumors regular

I went to the Apple store today to get a new cover for my space gray 16gb 5s. While I was there I looked at the ONE Gold iphone they had on display. At first I thought it was silver. Then after looking closely and holding a silver next to it, I could see the difference. This thing is not BLING. It's a very subdued, almost white gold color. I was thinking about switching if the opportunity arose, but not now. I no longer feel like I missed out, the space gray is a prettier phone. JMHO.

2. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I know what you mean. I thought the same.

I definitely want a white fronted phone, so am now deciding between gold and silver.

3. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Since it's different and doesn't cost anymore, I'm going with the white and gold.

I'm happy it's low key.

4. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I was starting to have buyer's remorse for getting the space grey after I kept looking at pictures of the gold online, but then I went today and looked at it in person and was not that impressed. I do like that it is subtle compared to online graphics, but I am not a fan of the white glass anymore and I am not too big on the gold ring around the home button. I think the space grey looks great, and looks clean and professional.

5. iluvbeer99 macrumors member

I have gold ( only because I was gonna sell it but was too antsy and couldn't let it go).

I think all of them look nice but if I knew I was going to keep it I would have gotten the space gray.

Gold is all the talk due to the shortage, not really because its definitely the best color, although I do think its very nice

6. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I was thinking it would be something I could hang around my neck Mr. T style. Turns out, not so much.

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I personally prefer he old slate colour to the new grey, so that rules that one out. And I'm glad the gold is not bling, I like how it's so close to silver. And since I have a silver iPhone 5, giving the gold a go.

Most people that that I saw were glad it was not bling and pleasantly surprised, many were worried it would be bling.

8. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

We'll you would have to be built like mr t to get away with it ;)

10. ohnoitscindy macrumors newbie

I saw the gold in person earlier this week and was also sort of disappointed by it. I honestly had to stare at the back for a few seconds to determine if it was really gold or silver. The color difference is minimal but I still prefer it over the silver because it's a warmer shade. I ordered a gold but it doesn't really matter since I'm going to put a case on it anyway lol.

11. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I came from a white 4 so naturally I wanted a black one next, I prefer the slate 5 but didn't want an older phone so got space grey 5s.

12. Gary500 macrumors regular

Gary500

Just got it yesterday. In direct sunlight, it look pretty good, but in artificial light, it looks almost silver.

13. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

No doubt!#

14. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

This. Gold is girly. Unless you're a fashionista you look ridiculous with it. IMO of course.

15. wxman2003 Suspended

Everyone prefers a different color. I like the silver model, and the gold is nice too. The space grey is boring. Just a blah color.

16. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

People that say the gold isn't cool are just pissed they had to settle for Space Gray :) I'm waiting patiently for mine to arrive in October - hurry up Apple!

17. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Similar story. I went to get a red 5S case and looked at the gold finally in person. I was not impressed at all. For those that like it, cool. I don't like it at all though.

Looks I dunno... Washed out.

18. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'm one of the ones waiting for gold and after seeing it in person the other day, I'm sad that I didn't go with silver. I had a white 5 and love the white front, so I thought I'd go gold just for something different, but I now really prefer the silver. Sigh.

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Looks fade... it's what's inside that counts.

20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

21. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

Glad I went with my first instinct (which was sliver).. I ordered it as soon as they were available on Apple.com on 9/20, and it was delivered to me on 9/25. Had I opted for the gold, I'd probably still be waiting, and after seeing the gold in person, I'm REALLY happy I went with silver :D

I think a lot of people want the gold because it's difficult to get now. When they become more widely available in about 6-8 weeks, they hype over the gold iPhone will subside..

People always seem to want what they think they can't get. If the silver or space gray were impossible to find, they'd want those.

22. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

You could probably trade it in by the time you get it (depending on local supply and how long it takes for you to get yours).

Each of my 4 and 4S phones were black and when I had them I had no desire to get the white version. Then the 5 design was released and I loved the silver back so I went with it for a change. Since then, I MUCH prefer the white front on the iPhone so when I ordered the 5S I went with the same silver. I think the fact that the gold version is subdued is a good thing and it actually made me think twice about getting it but in the end, tried and true is the route I took.

Interested to see what they change up (if anything in terms of colour options) next year.

23. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

yeah, that's what the Apple CSR suggested when I called to see if the order was modifiable--just wait for it to be delivered and then exchange it. Whenever that may be. :)

24. ewils19 macrumors 6502

Nah I ordered gold from Apple and got it on 9/25 as well.
    I do like the gold but since it is so subtle I would've been just as happy with silver.
    If it was a brighter, blingier gold I would not have bought gold, so for me the subtleness is a positive. Everyone has different taste, no biggie.

25. CEmajr macrumors 601

I like the fact that they chose not to make it a bright obnoxious looking gold. I'd say it's the best looking of the new iPhones. The Space Grey is a step backwards in my opinion. The slate was nice due to the black metal band but now with the way the grey looks if say it's the worst of the 3 new models. Just looks so plain.