Got VZW to waive my activation fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1981d, Sep 30, 2013.

1. 1981d macrumors regular

So, I bought two new 5s's on Wednesday, and VZW tweeted on Saturday that they would waive all activation fees if you bought this weekend. So I signed onto their CS chat (which works on my iPhone) and asked them to waive the $70 in activation fees I had incurred, since I had missed the promotion by a few days. They were happy to do it, and it came off my bill instantly. If you recently signed up, call or chat them and they will probably waive them for you as well. And if you recently paid the fee, maybe you could tell them you feel less valued now than new customers. Who knows, they might waive it for you to.

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

3. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

I recommend trying, I didn't get any push back at all. They seemed almost eager to do it. And I got mine only 5 days after you and before the promotion.

4. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

yup gona give it a shot, worst they could tell me is no

5. REDTAZ macrumors regular

Trying this now, with my 5s that I purhcased on launch day, will let you all know my results.

6. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

Here is the tweet, if anyone needs it.

Attached Files:

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It can't to ask, I always do, (and i always seem to get denied)

8. REDTAZ macrumors regular

Was just able to successfully get Verizon to waive my activation's for the three iPhone 5s that I purchased on launch day.

9. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. No reason for the guys over in the ATT thread to be the only ones getting their fees waived:)

10. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

11. elemenoP macrumors newbie

FYI - if you are an existing customer and not adding a new line, the fee is an "upgrade fee" and not an "activation fee." I asked the CS guy to waive it anyway, he took 10% off ($10 off). If anyone got CS to waive the "upgrade fee" entirely, please report back!

12. photodesign macrumors member

photodesign

Where is this? Is it on the Verizon app or mobile website? Both are so poorly designed...

13. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

Just curious for when I am upgrade eligible, what line did you take when requesting the waiver? Did you just come out and ask, or did you have to pressure them a bit? Did he just offer the 10%, or did u have to ask? Thx

14. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

See if this gets you there:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/contact/index.jsp

If not, go to the full site, click on contact us, and then the chat option on the bottom right hand side. This opens a new page, and a button to launch the chat will appear half way down on the left hand side of the page. It will take about 15-20 seconds for the button to appear after the page loads, and it may be grayed out if no reps are available. Just keep refreshing the page until the button is available.

15. zer06ame macrumors member

I just used online chat and they did not want to budge over the upgrade fee. After arguing a bit they said they would credit me back $15 to cover some of the fee.

They refused to give me the entire amount but at least they met me half way.

16. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

I am confused. The fee is not $100.

17. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

18. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

It would have been on your first bill with Verizon or your first bill after upgrading

19. zer06ame macrumors member

My fee was charged on the transaction for the phone itself. I believe you could have had it charged to your next month's bill though, which I'm sure a lot of people do.

I'm a little confused about the actual fee though. The rep at the VZW store told me it was $35. Customer Cares told me it was only $30. When I calculated taxes with the fee, it seems like it was $30 + tax.

20. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I purchased the phone at full price at BB then did a device swap right there and then.

Hmmm.... hoping VZW hit me with a fee.

One thing I noticed was when trying to buy the phone at full price from VZW you are shown a upgrade fee at check out.

21. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

The activation fee for new customers is $35, the upgrade fee for existing customers is $30, I believe. Mine was $35

22. zer06ame macrumors member

As far as I know this is all correct. It just confused me since the in-store rep insisted that the upgrade fee was the same as the restocking fee, which is $35.

Thanks for the heads up though anyway, managed to save me $15. :)

23. max pl macrumors regular

any existing customers have any luck having the upgrade fee waived?

its BS that they charge you for upgrading. should be illegal in fact.

24. jredecop macrumors 6502a

I'm chatting online now, having no luck. Stupid:mad::mad:

25. onlineaddy macrumors member

Had had no luck on two phone calls. Chat support knocked just $10 off. Better than nothing, but still not too happy. :(