Got your iPhone wet, ignore everything you hear!

Dan F

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Well, maybe you shouldn't, but I just wanted to share my success in fixing mine after dropping it in the toilet bowl. In most threads I have read on the subject, the OP has written a comical tale as to how it found its way into the toilet. Sorry to disappoint everyone but I have no such tale. I do however have a working iPhone, despite (so I have learned through reading a few of these threads) doing most of the wrong things, so I thought I'd let you all know.
So, I dropped it in, (clean water thank god), plunged straight in after it to get it out, but it still must have been under for a good few seconds. I immediately dried it off and fount that it was still on, and was on the whole still functioning. I tried turning it off but it just kept re-booting. The only real flaws i could find were water under the camera lens and the speakers weren't working (and it still wouldn't turn off.
I then got a hairdrier and dried the all the ports. After a while i then managed to turn it off and left it to dry overnight (didn't have any rice so it was just out in the open).
Thankfully, the next day (today) everything was fine. Although I'm going to leave it off at least for today.
Just wanted to share my alternative (yet successful) method of fixing a wet phone, but also ask for advice on how long to leave it off for? or if it's working can i assume it's fine?
Thanks in advance guys!:) And btw, the phone was naked, apart from a simple rubber skin that covered the sides and back but none of the ports.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Somewhere in there was a question. I'd leave it off for a few days and the heat from a dryer can damage the phone so rice is generally considered safe.

Either way, looks like you're good to go.

Dan F

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Thanks very much jessica. But if i just posted the question, where would the fun be? This way when you finally get to it you feel like you've earned it haha:p

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Well, maybe you shouldn't, but I just wanted to share my success in fixing mine after dropping it in the toilet bowl. In most threads I have read on the subject, the OP has written a comical tale as to how it found its way into the toilet. Sorry to disappoint everyone but I have no such tale. I do however have a working iPhone, despite (so I have learned through reading a few of these threads) doing most of the wrong things, so I thought I'd let you all know.
So, I dropped it in, (clean water thank god), plunged straight in after it to get it out, but it still must have been under for a good few seconds. I immediately dried it off and fount that it was still on, and was on the whole still functioning. I tried turning it off but it just kept re-booting. The only real flaws i could find were water under the camera lens and the speakers weren't working (and it still wouldn't turn off.
I then got a hairdrier and dried the all the ports. After a while i then managed to turn it off and left it to dry overnight (didn't have any rice so it was just out in the open).
Thankfully, the next day (today) everything was fine. Although I'm going to leave it off at least for today.
Just wanted to share my alternative (yet successful) method of fixing a wet phone, but also ask for advice on how long to leave it off for? or if it's working can i assume it's fine?
Thanks in advance guys!:) And btw, the phone was naked, apart from a simple rubber skin that covered the sides and back but none of the ports.

Went in the toilet?? .... Burn it.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Moisture is just one of the problems...and, even after it's completely dry, there may still be issues. Corrosion is no fun and, if you have hard water where you dropped it, your troubles may be far from over.

Not to mention, I would trust rice over a blow drier any day. Prolonged heat could cause issues and it'd be difficult for it to dry out all the inner recesses completely....whereas, over the course of a few days, rice will find a way to.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
put the hair drier away..

what you really want to do is put your phone in the microwave in "heat" setting for 20 minutes.

following that and once it cools off inside your freezer put in the toaster at level 3 (about 20 seconds).

you will then be able to turn it on and be free of any condensation and corrosion.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California

what you really want to do is put your phone in the microwave in "heat" setting for 20 minutes.

following that and once it cools off inside your freezer put in the toaster at level 3 (about 20 seconds).

you will then be able to turn it on and be free of any condensation and corrosion.
Thanks for this post! I've had a ROUGH day and this post made me laugh so hard I spit my water all over my iPhone!:D
But don't worry, it still works!

ehPhone

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
Kitchener, Ontario

What you really want to do is put your phone in the microwave in "heat" setting for 20 minutes.

Following that and once it cools off inside your freezer put in the toaster at level 3 (about 20 seconds).

You will then be able to turn it on and be free of any condensation and corrosion.
roflmao. :)

Dennis187

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
below you

OMG, THANKS!!!!! I'm gonna try this asap when I get home tonight!

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009

I will try that right now my Phone had a accident in the toilet too.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Just wanted to share my alternative (yet successful) method of fixing a wet phone
No problem in that but no two water incidents are necessarily identical. Specific steps like this that worked for one won't necessarily work for the next and vice versa.

but also ask for advice on how long to leave it off for?
Until it's fully dry is always the answer. How to tell when it is is the trick, of course.

or if it's working can i assume it's fine?
Not necessarily. Issues from water can show up later on even if the device seems fine at given point in time.

MagnusF

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
It will stop working soon, trust me!

Corrosion will eat it up since you didnt really dry it up in a good way