Gotta Love MyWI and going to save me bucks on IPAD

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by tttexxan, Apr 2, 2010.

1. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Sitting here getting my oil changed surfing on my Macbook Pro without a glitch using MYWI....Connection is screaming fast and should work like a charm on my new IPAD. Thought long and hard about the 3G but no need if MYWI cont to work this good. Save me enough money to get updated version of IPAD in future when they release another model next 6 mo or next year.....

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

You and me have the same thinking strategy, friend. :)

$9.99 ONCE for unlimited data on top of my current phone bill.

$14.99-29.99 MONTHLY for each time I want data on the go, on top of my current phone bill.

I'm just trying to be fiscally responsible.

3. diabolic macrumors 68000

What is the battery life like on the iPhone when you are using MyWi? Is it possible to use it constantly for a few hours without plugging it in?

4. illutionz macrumors 65816

Yup I got the same idea... Rooted Nexus One with Wireless Tether here ;)

5. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I can get about 2-3 hours with it. I carry a battery backup as well, so that definitely helps.

6. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Doesn't MyWI involve jailbreaking the phone? And doesn't that void your warranty and make you unable to upgrade to new phone OS versions until those versions get jailbreaked?

7. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Yes.

8. tttexxan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have been sitting here for about 20-30 min surf heavly and it has battery only drop about 5% on my iphone. I have the MYWI on and the phone is off in my bag. Works very very well.. I used to have PDANET but everyone stated that would not work with IPAD so went with MYWI....You could easly get a long surf time with a full charge battery. If traveling connect my iphone in car charging while Ipad does its thing. Should be a great combo and for the savings a no brainer IMO

9. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Yes, it involves jailbreaking. No, that does not cause your warranty to be voided; it's undetectable once the iPhone is restored. And yes, you have to wait for new updates to be jailbroken; 3.1.3 is not yet jailbroken but 3.1.2. is completely fine, and 3.1.3 added nothing of importance (excluding the sporadic 3G S battery percentage, which doesn't effect my 3G S).

10. tttexxan thread starter macrumors 6502a

It does involve the jailbreak....However I have had every IPHONE since day one. Everyone has been jailbroken without any problems. Often my iphone vibreate button would be broken or soemthing like that. I would return to apple to get a new one and nothing was ever said just have to un jailbreak and that is easy. Upgrades to iphone has not been that great since the ability to send photos on text IMO. I would rather have the tethering ability rather than some of the updates apple releases. By the way I have all the updates and still jailbroken..Takes only minutes to do and never had an issue, but hey if people want to spend 30 extra bucks a month then so be it

11. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

3.1.3 is jailbroken. Only the 3Gs with new bootrom can't be jailbroken right now.

You can update to the latest OS at any time, but you'll loose the jailbreak. Jailbreaking is not permanent.

12. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

This is my logic also. I don't see the point in spending more money when I already have an internet connection in my pocket at all times. The Evo coming out this summer looks very appealing since it supports hot spot functionality out of the box. And with the money I saved by not getting the 3G, that'll go a good way toward paying for the Evo.

13. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Can anyone give kind of quick overview as to what is involved JB'ing 3.1.3 and installing MyWi? This is at the top of my list to do just as soon as I get my iPad tomorrow. I did JB my old iPhone, but not my current one and don't know what the best method is to do it now. If you don't want to post this maybe someone could PM me the details. Thanks

14. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Im doing the same thing. MyWi is the only reason I am getting the wifi only iPad. :apple:

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

There is also an iPhone Hacks section on this site. No one will hold your hand so some reading before you ask questions.

16. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Hopefully I will save you before the flaming begins:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

I really wish ATT would just allow us to tether or run a MiWi program on our iPhones. Hopefully Verizon's move on the Palm Pre will *inspire* some of the other cellular companies. :rolleyes:

17. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I jailbroke my iphone a few weeks ago to try out myWi in anticipation of using it with my ipad.

Yet, after I did the battery life of my iphone began to go down significantly. Also, I had a problem where my iphone shut off and would not start up again for hours, even with me pressing the buttons to restart it. Then it stopped syncing with my itunes and the only way I got it to work again was to restore it, which got rid of the jailbreaking. After restoring it, it works perfectly again, no problems.

So, at least in my experience, the jailbreaking route did not go well at all, and I would warn anyone trying that to be cautious.

18. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

19. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Are you using Wifi, bluetooth, or usb for the tethering?

20. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Not true. That only applies to the 3GS. The 2G, 3G and Touch models work. I just did a jailbreak on my 3G 3.1.3 six days go. I tried sn0wbreeze and ran into a myriad of iTunes error messages that many people have experienced. What doesn't work is if you want to unlock the phone for other carrier use if you did 3.1.3 and let it update the baseband.

I did some more research and went with blackra1n instead and had everything done within a few minutes. I immediately put SBSettings and MyWi on the phone. Since then I've added Background for multitasking (works good) and Intelliscreen.

21. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I was thinking of this route as well but the reason I still went with a 3G iPad is because of the battery life on the iPhone.

It already isn't that great...I can't imagine what having it act as a Hot Spot would do to it. I would hate to be out in the field (Ill be using this for work as well) and then having the battery die and then to no online access.

22. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

This seems like a good option. Plus, you cab keep a backup battery in the bag that you carry your iPad in for your iPhone so you can get 2-3 hours of 3G surfing with the wi-fi iPad and regular battery life with the iPhone.