Gotta Say It Feels To Me Like the iPhone 5 is Going to be Epic

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tangledweb16, Mar 14, 2011.

1. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

The rumors have been startlingly scarce so far. I'm honestly betting on either aluminum or liquid metal back, probably larger display, dual core processor and I'm sure a revamped UI.

In fact, I'm almost equally excited about iOS 5. I really think this is going to be the year of a totally revamped user interface, and I'm really looking forward to it.

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I think it's funny people are calling it the iPhone 5. I think it'll be called the iPhone 4G or the iPhone 4x.

3. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

No man, with them officially naming the second gen. iPad the "iPad 2", it seems they've put their foot down on the naming scheme of their current flagship iOS devices.

4. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S

It's just gonna be faster, but with better specs.

iPhone 5/6/ or iPhone 4G will be next year.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Every iPhone has just been a phone with "better specs."

They'll name it whatever they want to name it. I find the attempts to divine answers from past names to be somewhat funny.

Did'ja predict that they'd change iBook to Macbook based on any patterns? Or that the iPod Mini name would simply die abruptly after only 2 models?

Apple cares very little about what they've done in the past.

6. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I find it interesting that on the box of the new iPad it onky says "iPad" not iPad 2.

Didn't they just say 2011 is the year of the iPad? I don't think that the iPhone update is gunna be very big.

7. TennisandMusic

I kind of have the same feeling, but I think Apple kinda HAS to make it a big year. Another year of "the icon grid"? I don't see how they could justify that...as good as the iPhone is (and overall it is very good), they are so far behind in a few small nagging areas. You just sort of get the feeling they are going to raise the bar yet again. If not, I kinda wonder how it will be perceived.

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

There's not a pattern, you're simply not understanding it. The OP is right, there is going to be an iPhone 5, an iPhone 4S or iPhone 4M doesn't sound right.

Original iPhone = iPhone 1
    iPhone 3G = iPhone 2
    iPhone 3GS = iPhone 3
    iPhone 4 = iPhone 4
    iPhone 5 = iPhone 5

As you can see, Apple got stuck with the 3G as their 2nd iPhone, and it made no sense to go from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 3 (marketing wise), and so they called it a 3GS.
    Now finally Apple has gone back on track by calling it the iPhone 4, and as the iPad to iPad 2 was announced, i think Apple will be continuing by numerical value.
    By calling the next phone an iPhone 4S, they're just messing it up again.

I find people are trying to downplay the next phone as a "3G to 3GS upgrade" (which was massive) but you need to understand that the upgrade is huge, just the Dual Core A5 chip will be a huge upgrade for the iPhone 5, and we're all hoping for an awesome iOS 5 upgrade as well.

In regards to the OP, i completely agree, Apple needs to do amazing hardware wise and software wise to compete.

9. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Agreed and you are right, I don't know what some people are thinking!

10. svenn macrumors 6502

This. I have stated the same thing in another thread too :)

11. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Right...because doubling the resolution to make it the highest ever in a phone (still is) wasn't raising the bar. :rolleyes:

And yet people complain about not having things like micro USB slots...:confused:

12. diegoesk macrumors regular

I look forward to it as well. I just hope Apple goes all out rather than rehash all the jailbreak features in new hardware. Even if they do I'll still buy it long as its LTE capable. :rolleyes::(

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I think it will be inexcusable if Apple doesn't enlarge the screen by every little pixel they can squeeze into the same housing. Still, though, that will only be 3.7 or 3.8" and that's just not up to the rest of the competition.

14. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

But don't you really prefer the current iPhone 4's screen to that of any 4" screen on the market? Can't you really read more easily on the iPhone 4's screen?

:)

I trust them to make the right decision. I am sure it'll be a very good compromise.

15. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Um... how do you figure that? Did they not choose the name? Was someone holding a gun to their head saying "you can't call it the iPhone 2!"?

Like others have said. Apple names their products what they want to name it. There isn't a pattern and they don't care what we think. ;)

16. sunny1985 macrumors member

Epic fail more like, ok maybe faster but it'll still have the same old UI!

17. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I want to agree with you because I think it will be the iPhone 5 as well. I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to avoid 4S or 4G or 4GS or any 'complicated' naming schemes... but at the same time, I think the reason the second iPhone was named 3G was to emphasize that it had 3G. If the new phone has 4G it's not completely unreasonable to think they would want to emphasize it again (and vice versa, if it DOESN'T have 4G, naming it iPhone 5 would be a way of taking attention away from not having 4G).
    The problem with naming it 4G is that the following year, it would be weird to jump from the iPhone 4G to the iPhone 6... and even weirded when 5G comes out and they're on iPhone 7 or 8 (just guessing) because they can't exactly go backwards.

I was actually thinking about this on my drive into work this morning. I'm wondering if they'll ever abandon the numbering of the mobile devices? On their website it just lists iPhone, iPad etc and then the pages it links to specify iPhone 4 or iPad 2. Having said that, the iPod Nano is just the Nano, the Shuffle is just the shuffle. On the forums we refer to them as 4th gen or 6th gen which gets difficult.. it's definitely easier to identify it as iPhone 4.

Their computers are just Macbook Pros, iMacs, etc.. but they have different revisions (minor and major) and revision cycles (the only minor bump for mobiles was the capacity of the original iPhone, right?).

I wouldn't be surprised to see it eventually just be the iPad or the iPhone but I guess if they're focusing on consumers, it would make more sense to just label them as numbers... after all, the iPhone 8 HAS TO BE better than the iPhone 7 or 6.

18. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what would make it EPIC in your opinions, i like the iphone 4 alot and since jailbreaking it im not sure what else i would want my phone to do?

faster? use a blackberry for a few years and an iphone will feel like a lightning bolt

bigger? so big that it no longer fits in your front pocket?

not knocking on anyone that thinks changes need to be made but if its just wanting apple to release things that jailbreaking already does i would not call that EPIC at all

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It'll be called iPhone 5. iPhone 4G will be left for 2012 when both VZW and AT&T get their LTE networks up and running the way the 3G ones are.

20. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

The 2012 phone will be the iPhone 6. Lets not get into calling it the '4G' or anything, even if it will support 4th gen networks.

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Pourquoi? :confused:

22. profets macrumors 68040

I think it's been the same for every iPhone as well. The box & phones themselves have always just said "iPhone".

I wonder if they'll eventually get out of this naming. Right now its ok, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, but what about in 5-10 years from now?

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

There will be iPhone 9-14 for that :cool:

There have been many more BlackBerry revisions and models.

24. profets macrumors 68040

I know, but have you seen how many models they've manufactured and the numbering they use? Lol, to me that is the complete opposite of Apple's simplicity.

25. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I think it's funny you think the next iPhone will be called iPhone 4x