Government asks court to block wider testing for mad cow

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, May 12, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Once again we see a major lobby (corporate meatpackers), influencing the federal government to ignore the welfare of American citizens and put them more at risk. The meatpackers are saying that consumers may wish that all meatpackers adopt the higher safety standards. It would cost them a few extra cents a pound! That is so friggin' lame. Yet, I think there is another agenda as well.

If it can be shown by one company that more vigilant testing of beef is easily, and relatively inexpensive, to achieve, those not doing it could:

1) Lose business from some foreign markets, to companies who do the better testing
    2) Face lawsuit challenges if they released diseased meat and someone caught the disease

The meatpackers seem to have convinced the USDA, they share a common interest here. But, if diseased meat gets to the markets, they will sell the USDA out in a heartbeat, "We were following the USDA regulations for testing. It is up to them to determine what the standards should be". Any civil awards end up being paid by the American taxpayer. So, we become both victim and people who pay. The meat industry walks clean. How many examples of this same scenario have we witnessed?

I was in the UK when the major case of mad cow broke out. The BBC did an extensive investigative documentary on it. It was truly frightening. It is caused by a species eating the brains of their same species. It is (was - not sure if the practice still exists) actually a human disease as well. There is a tribe in New Guinea, which eats the brain of vanquished foes. They too developed the disease. If you are wondering about cows eating each other, being they are vegetarians, certain un-sellable beef byproducts are dried, ground and used as a cheaper filler for cattle feed. In other words, we give it to them. It eats holes in the brain like swiss cheese. It is unstoppable and has no cure. It is a horrible way to die.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't they just change the ****ing cow's diet? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a vegetarian and definitely no farmer.

I've never seen a cow biting the head off of another cow, so I assume the infected cow is fed to the others after its death.

5. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

The certainly could and it would eradicate the problem. But, when the governments attempted to make this practice illegal, again the beef industry screamed it would raise the cost of feed. The government caved.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Actually, the US was the first country to take action on this. The reason BSE was so prevalent in the EU is that the EU failed to take timely action.

In the US feed industry, there are still some rather glaring loopholes that the feed industry has been fighting to keep.

The problem with BSE is that it will never go away. Cattle grazed on calcium deficient soils will gnaw on the bones of other dead cows simply for the calcium. Prions live for a long time.

There's also no possible way to clear every bone, much less every carcass from the open range. It's suspected, but not proven, the BSE can be transmitted from species to species.

The deer of the Great Lakes region, especially in Wisconsin have been going mad for a few years now. Mainly due to a lack of natural predators and burgeoning deer populations.

Back on topic.

bushco has been pushing this for forever. The meatpacking companies are scared stiff that this is only the beginning and they're probably right. The "downer" cattle that have been in the news are only the very tip of the proverbial iceberg when it comes to the overall health of the animals that end up on our tables.

Anyone who enjoys meat should not be eating anything processed by a large US meatpacking country. The current state of the US meatpacking industry puts Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" to shame.