Government Healthcare Rationing Denies 10 Year Old Possible Lifesaving Treatment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ThisIsNotMe, Jun 3, 2013.

1. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I thought death panels were a republican propaganda tool against obamacare..

3. Shrink, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Oy..."death panels"...now there's a great start for a calm, reasoned discussion of a somewhat complex issue.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Death panels have been around long before Obamacare came in and commied up the country.

See, insurance companies have never been all that altruistic, and the advent of something approaching what sorta looks like universal heathcare if you glance at it sideways while blinking your eyes really fast hasn't made anything any better or worse in this regard. If you get into a car accident, the insurance companies will look at your condition, and weigh the risks of spending beaucoup bucks running your maimed ass through the hospital vs. your chances of survival.

It's the way things have always been done. They've done this in the past. They'll continue doing this in the future. Insurance companies have always considered the cost of your life as it relates to their bottom line.

6. zin macrumors 6502

Whilst it is saddening, and you cannot fault the parent for declaring the system to be scandalous, the system's policies are set up in order to ensure the most amount of transplants take place:

Whilst the article is obviously saddening to read, it is also prying on the emotional side. The United Network for Organ Sharing is not a political organisation, therefore your statement on "death panels" and 'the government dictating life saving treatments' is false, unless of course you count doctors and other health experts matching donors by need to be evidence of "death panels".

They say themselves that their objective in the policies is to perform as many transplants as possible resulting in the fewest waiting list deaths. They don't claim that waiting list deaths will be zero. How would you feel if you were in charge of creating these policies? Individual cases are deeply saddening, but the greater picture is that the policies are likely to allow more transplants to take place and, ultimately, fewer waiting list deaths.

This also reflects the fundamental problem of situations like this: there are not enough organs being donated.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah, I should've read the article before commenting, but I've been involved in so many arguments about death panels in the past, hearing the phrase almost evokes a Pavlovian response in me.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thank you for the thoughtful post.

I fear, however, that it will be ignored in favor of an oversimplified, politically based, demonizing approach to a complex, difficult, and often tragic, issue.

Just a bit more information...

Source

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

@OP: I hope you have signed your organ donor card before posting such nonsense. I also hope you have donated a considerable amount to cystic fibrosis charities that provide care and research (see link), since you appear to object to government provision of health care.

One more thing OP: imagine that a lung was available but the parents could not afford the operation. Would you oppose the government funding it?

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Agreed. That's the root of the problem.

Organs aren't a commodity like oil, subject to the laws of supply and demand. If demand for oil goes up, the producers just pump more out of the ground.

Where are extra organs supposed to come from?

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Clearly, if we had no death panels or government interference in organ donation, the free market would see to it that we had enough organs for everyone.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Others have pointed this out, but, you do realize that this has nothing to do with "Death panels" or "Government Healthcare Rationing", and, everything to do with the general shortage of donated organs? That there are waiting lists and rules?

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This was very well-said.

Unfortunately, whenever something so scarce as an organ becomes available and more than one person needs it, there has to be a system of prioritizing who gets it - which means there can be only one "winner," and everyone else "loses."

Shame on the writers of this article (and others like it that I have read) for trying to play to readers' emotions. Decisions like this shouldn't be made based on emotion.

All that being said, I have mixed feelings about the policy in general. I understand the goal to successfully transplant as many organs as possible, and to save as many lives as possible, but we're stuck between weighing the life of a child vs. the life of an adult, and the fact that an adult recipient can only accept an adult lung, while a child has the flexibility to accept any healthy lung. This is definitely a "choose your poison" scenario.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Lots of information missing here. Why are the rules such as they are? Was there a reason to exclude children under 12 when the rules were written? Perhaps transplants are more difficult or fail more often in children. Perhaps medical technology has improved and age is no longer an issue.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ignoring the whole "death panels" stuff, could you expand on how the magical, answer-for-all-problems free market would allocate organs for transplant in it's miraculously perfect manner.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Clearly you don't read the post of many of those on the right in here.

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm sorry, I must have missed something in your Reply. Was there an answer to my question in there somewhere?:confused:

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

(Pssssttt...his original post was sarcasm....)

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ah...sorry.

As others have made serious similar suggestions in the past...I missed the indications of sarcasm in his post...

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

She's getting her new lungs today.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/pa-girl-who-took-organ-donor-rules-gets-lung

21. vega07 macrumors 65816

It's a bit embarrassing that the OP and others are politicizing this story, when it happens every day...and to attach the term "death panel" is just :confused:.

Good for that girl to get her transplant. The average lifespan of CF patients is in the thirties. Hopefully CF research gains major ground in the future so she'll live even longer.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Good that she is getting a transplant. however I wonder if some if the people getting upset about how the system works would get equally upset if in a few more days there is another article about the person who got pushed down the list and didn't get their transplant since this girl went to the front?

If you want to politicize it why not suggest doing something about the actual problem of there not being enough organs to go around? I don't see why we don't make organ donation automatic and let people opt out if they have something against it.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is a very good point. There's a real limit in the number of available organs and that could change. Imagine if Congress, rather than trying to repeal "Obamacare" for the 37th time, tried to deal with this particular issue.

We might actually save some lives.

And, I have to agree with Renzatic about the phrase "death panels." It's a litmus test to separate people who are genuinely concerned about the application of ACA and batty Michelle Bachmann clones.