Government restricting "religion"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

At what point do you guys think the government (USA) can start to restrict a group that claims to be a religion but, to others, seems to be a dangerous cult. I don't want to single out that one I'm thinking of (just reading a very damning book on why this "religion" is really a dangerous cult) but just wanted to know when, if ever, even the most die-hard, protect religious freedoms at all cost citizens would say the government can crack down on these fringe, wanna-be religions. At the very least, take away stuff like their tax-exempt status...

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Never.

The only thing a government should regulate—regarding religion—is criminal activity.

I would consider taking tax exemption away from all religions.

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Ok but what does it take to be considered a religion. Why is one group a religion and one a cult? That's what I'm curious about. What lines need to be crossed?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you tell us the name of the "religion" in question, we might be better able to answer your question.

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

If someone commits an actual crime, arrest them and give them their day in court to plead their case.

If they haven't committed a crime, under freedom of religion they can practice any insansity they like. Call it a cult, call it a church, I honestly don't care.

If they aren't denying the civil rights of others BY FORCE, or breaking then law then it doesn't matter.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

What about 'religions' that create tax-free 'churches' that have jacuzzi's etc.?

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

According to this site ...

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Don't care. Government has no place in religion or church, which is why churches are tax expempt to begin with.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_Nations
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_Jesus#Emergence_of_racial_theories

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Religion has has no place in Government, unfortunately that's not the case.

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

There are checks and balances to handle "church in government", whatever that means exactly, but for certain it's a bad idea to have the feds regulating religious freedom which is what a tax would do.

12. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I read "going clear" which is about Scientology.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ah, ok. One of the clear issues for me between a cult and religion is the availability of knowledge about the religion. If I'm not mistaken, Scientology restricts a person's knowledge about it into levels. If you go up a level (give enough money) then you learn other things about Scientology. As for Christianity, anyone can pick up a Bible and read it and learn what the religion is about. There is no requirement to give money, pass tests, etc to learn about it.

14. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

That's true. You need to keep giving the church money and keep moving up to learn more and more about the "religion". ANd the higher up you get, the wackier it gets.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The only difference between a "religion" and a "cult" is the number of followers. It's not like the ideas behind christianity are any less insane or wackjob than scientology. The only difference is that they have a billion people who believe it.

This should have been done a long time ago.

16. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

So tired of the anti-religion religion. We get it. You don't like religion, but what you're spewing from your mouth is nothing different than what these religions, which you claim to hate, are doing. All these claims of it being forced upon others I have yet to witness and think that it's just a ruse for you to help move your anti-religious religion agenda. It doesn't affect you in any way. It doesn't offend you in any way. You are just beating your chest wanting to be heard. Again, no different than what you're claiming to hate.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The anti-religion religion?

lol.

If many religious people didn't go around parroting ancient fairy tales as something factual while ignoring legitimate scientific fact we wouldn't have this problem. I hear it every day when people have the need to "thank god" for something happening, hear about "gods will", etc. It's just ridiculous. I'm so unbelievably sick of hearing people mention religion, talking about some non-existant god, and their attempts to use religion to rationalize things that happen in life.

The fact that they are exempt from taxes in the 21st century is ridiculous too.

18. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I guess I just don't see it like you guys do. I have never once seen someone trying to press their religion on me like it seems people here do day in and day out. It must be miserable not being able to leave the house knowing you're about to be bombarded with religious pressure. As far as the "thank god" I have no issue with that at all. You act as if once someone says that the World just stops. In what way does that hurt or affect you? Does it somehow throw your daily life for a loop when someone mentions that? I'm guessing no. You, kind sir, are just forcing your anti-religion religion onto me. And now I will not take it anymore. And finally, the arrogance that the anti-religious religion movement has claiming that their nonexistent god tells them that my God doesn't exist. Just wow.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm Buddhist.

Which is a religion.

20. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Congratulations. Unlike many here I'm not offended by that.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I usually offend here for other reasons.

22. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I've noticed. ;)

23. samiwas macrumors 68000

The tax-exempt thing does bother me. Anyone can come out and open the "Church of the 1000w Microwave Oven" and then funnel money through it in tax-exempt fashion. Churches are businesses like anything else, and should be held to the same rules. There is absolutely no reason they should be exempt from tax law.

As for the rest of it, while I don't let it affect my life like some do, I also can't stand the people who constantly talk about how God did this for them, or God did that for them. "I got a discount at dinner tonight! Just proof that God looks out for me!" "My daughter got an A on her math test! Proof that God was there to help her!" I understand that some people need an omniscient being to provide rationalization for things they can't figure out, but it's silly to me.

My least favorite part is using religion as a basis for law. Like Sunday alcohol sales...

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I agree. The assets should be held by a corporation and the corporation should pay taxes. The "church", if it consists of a bunch of people talking to each other, remains "free". Though kind of difficult to say what a 300-year old historical monument AKA "a church" is worth, property-wise.

25. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

And what do you think of the religious right pushing laws against things like abortion and gay marriage because some thousand year old book told them it was wrong.

I don't have equal rights because someone is pushing their religious beliefs onto me. When you see women's rights advocates and the LGBT community pushing for laws against people wishing to practice whatever religion they want to, you let me know.

There's a difference. Just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.