Government shutdown 2011

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rodimus Prime, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Since it seems pretty likely that we will be a government shutdown 2011 might as well start a thread about it.

According to this article http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit.../04/06/AFPriirC_story.html?wprss=rss_homepage
    it seems pretty clear the Tea Partiers do not want to compromise at all. They not only want 33-50bill in cuts but they want to choose were they come from.

I was listening to the new last night and instead of logical choices in cuts they wanted to go after education, Medicare and things that help the core.
    refused to say cut money out of oil subsidy and tighten the ropes on agriculture subsidy.

looks like to me the Tea partiers are showing their true colors when that is what they really want.

Either way figure this thread is going to pop up.

As for students hope you have filed your FASFA by now and those who are trying to get Refunds hope you taxes are down.

As for those who have to pay some taxes a shut down could help you because it will take them longer to process the payment so you hold on to your interested longer. remember it has to be post marked by the 18th no matter what.

2. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

The Tea Party is the most fascist and dangerous of people on this face of the Earth.. They alone will bring disaster and turmoil to the people of this country. Its bad enough that the conditions of the job market, and economy as a whole are worse off than ever before(Gas rising, food prices going up).. These morons deserve to be put up a wall and shot at.

Thats how we in Ukraine would do it :)

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The tea party is the republican party. There is NO tea party as third party. That's a complete fallacy. If they weren't a wholly owned faction of the Republican party, there would be tea party democrats too.

Pop quiz - name one tea party candidate who ran as a Democrat or name one elected official who claims to be a tea party member or supporter who doesn't vote with the Republicans.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The whole thing is pathetic. From the Democrats inability to pass a 2010 budget, to the Republican obstruction and the Tea Party wackos who have co-opted the party who don't understand the concept of compromise. History will be very unkind to late 20th -early 21st century America.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I thought you felt this way about the Jews... So, who's worse? The tea baggers or the christ killers?

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The tea party isn't about fiscal responsibility at all as is evidenced by their "soft" targets and their emphasis on abortion, NPR and other social issues.

It's sad to see them shut down the US based on that.

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Hey . . . we determined that the Palestinians were the Christ killers.

8. Rodimus Prime thread starter macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Things I have learned from this is Democrats have no balls and really need to grow some..

GOP as crappy as they are have figured out that they an play hard ball and get what they want with no compromise. Democrates always give. I been saying it for a while Democrats have been needing to dig their heals in.
    honestly i though they should of shut it down in March. Hell Democrats should of passed a budget back in September when they controlled both the House and the Senate.

This budget crap effects me directly because I want an internship here at NASA and they know they are going to have them. All the budgets have that. Problem is they can not higher and get them until budget is passed. It has been in a holding pattern now for months.

We need to end this endless holding pattern.

9. Rodimus Prime thread starter macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would disagree with that.

The Tea Party is to the GOP as the Blue Dogs are to the democrats.

Yes they are democrats but they are a sub group of them. Just the Tea Party GOP is a radical sub group of the GOP.

10. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Its not that democrats "don't have balls."

I have been thinking about this a lot. I am anarchist politically, but lets put that aside for this discussion.

Lets assume that democrats in political office by and large do care about issues of poverty and inequality. Lets take them at their word for a just a moment.

The reality is that even if they "care", they are not impacted by these issues in the real world. They come from a position a privilege, one in which the reality of actually needing and using social welfare programs will never effect them.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

A sub group that the more moderates of either party are afraid of muzzling. The sad part is, both parties pander to the extremes of their parties for fear of alienating their vocal "bases". However, this will come back to bite them in the buttocks.

12. 184550 Guest

If the US Government shuts down, it'll be the last time I ever vote for a Republican Congressional candidate. I've only ever voted for one, current Senator Richard Burr, but I won't do it again.

This mess is absolutely pathetic. IMO, the Republicans will shoot themselves in the foot if the government shuts down. They can kiss the White House in 2012 and 2016 good bye.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Both parties are pathetic. Republicans unwilling to compromise and the Democrats only wanting to cut a pathetic $6 billion.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This farce is merely Act I. Act II will be the fight over raising the debt ceiling. Finally, in Act III, we implode over the 2012 budget.

15. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The fact that congress cannot construct a budget is simply a failure of them to perform their duties. Part of the reason is that the motivation to avoid a shutdown isn't great enough, thus I propose a two-fold solution to motivate them a little

1) Congress persons do not get paid during the shutdown. Perhaps if they were to not get paid they would be more motivated.

2) In the event of a shutdown all members of congress immediately become ineligible to run for re-election for their current position and ineligible to run in any other federal election. Since a shutdown means they've failed, they shouldn't be allowed to continue.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

50 billion out of a budget of what? A trillion and a bit? What's really ridiculous is all the petty bitching coming out of DC over what amounts to less than 5% of the total. The Titanic is hit and two engineers are fighting over whether or not to turn on one pump.

If the government "shuts down", not much will change. Life will continue.

17. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think the issue is that included in that 50 billion is money that forms 100% of certain program budgets (e.g. planned parenthood). If it was a horizontal cur (5% off every program budget) then it wouldn't be as huge of an issue.

Unless you're a federal employee, in which case get used to not having a paycheck for a while. Or, like me, are someone who is waiting for the federal government to process some very important paperwork.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I could remove 25% of your body weight and make you slim and sexy.

On the other hand, I could remove less than 2% of your body weight and render you a useless, comatose, vegetable.

It's not a matter of how much is cut as it is what is cut.

19. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

So I guess the GoP stopped studying 1994 after they read "massive Republican gains?"

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Not if you count on your paychecks coming from them. Life will continue sure, but it will be a hell of a lot harder.

This has happened before and it is crap anyway you look at.

21. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

These cuts and shut down will be unpalatable for the voters. Obama will win reelection and we will simply continue to monetize our debt at an even faster rate. That is the real calamity. If the budget isn't paid for and balanced with tax dollars then the market will balance it for us in the form of massive inflation. It's already been happening if you've been paying attention.

The sad thing is the cuts don't even go far enough.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So we're on our way to a government shutdown because the Tea Party Republicans want to kill Planned Parenthood and Big Bird. How ****ing sad.

Hey Tea Party, remember, it's all about jobs, jobs, jobs. :rolleyes:

23. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Uhm, yeah, there's also the Democrats who could've passed a new budget quite a long time ago, but were afraid of dealing with their own party.

What's pathetic is the complete lack of common sense between the two parties. They used to know how to work together in the past. Now they can't compromise because of ideological BS. It's a Lose-Lose situation, for the people at least.

It's time to throw the everyone out.

24. Rodimus Prime thread starter macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

To bad we can not have a vote of no confidence and force all of them to run for reelection now.

25. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

That would be extra sweet. Wouldn't it require a constitutional amendment?