Governor signs bill prohibiting fracking bans (in guess which state?)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 19, 2015.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Did you guess Texas? Ding ding ding ding ding!

Well, so much for the federal government being tyrannical. That's so last week. This week, your health and literally the ground you walk on are being legislated away from you by the state of Texas.

What the hell is going on in that state? Since when did it become Arkham Asylum South?

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

They need to stockpile CL III POL for the upcoming war with the United States.

Attached Files:

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

To be fair, the last thing the state of Texas cares about is the health of any of it's workers. This isn't a new thing.

Regulations have long been relaxed here to keep the big companies happy and there have been tragic accidents as a result, like this one in West, Texas a few years ago.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nothing says small government like preventing local governments from making decisions about what happens in their backyards.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

6. Mousse, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Hurray! Now I can look forward to getting my firewater from the tap.:rolleyes:

Fraking Governor keeping us from preventing fraking Big Oil from fraking fracking in our fraking backyards.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

What's next, a ban on solar energy? Or so many restrictions, fees, and taxes on it that it becomes non-lucrative? Go to hell, Texas. I'm thankful for every day I don't wake up in that cesspool of stupid.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

why? should the citizens of Texas have a say on it? they don't know any better, the GOVT is always right

[/S

----------

wait, are you not from the state that brought us Jersey Shore? or is it a different state?

9. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I'm moving to Denton in July, I guess I'll err on the side of caution and drink water from the desert in California instead of the tap water.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Having spent many a day in Southeastern Oklahoma/Northeastern Texas and being from Nebraska, I never drank the water down there unless it came from a fountain that was filtered, or from a restaurant, which has to have theirs filtered.

Never drank the water at my grandparent's place, nor any of my relatives there. It was bad enough having that metallic tang taste to it, that this only confirms that I made the right choice.

BTW: with all of the earthquakes going on in OK due to fracking, and the fact that they now have more earthquakes occurring there than in California, I would suggest to everyone here that if you have any business that requires you to fly to Dallas, fly into Love Field, and not DFW. Why? Oil companies are fracking under DFW Airport. Yes, Under the airport.

BL.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

I don't know why anyone would drink tap water.
    I exclusively drink bottle mountain spring water and beer, brewed according to the purity law with spring water only.

I've tried to drink tap water in San Diego County and LA. If you would drink that stuff on a regular basis you'd get very sick. It also smells like clorine

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I hope you don't drink Dasani, or Pure Life, because those are bottled by Coca-Cola and Nestle, respectively, and are straight from the tap. In fact, they list the best and worst ones at that link. note who the bottler is, and if you should question their practices.

BL.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Dasani is ok,so is Costco water, "pure life" does taste like crap along with arrowhead and a few others.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed on the Costco water.

However, I will say that in living in the desert southwest (read: Las Vegas), if there is anything I had learned relative to the water down there (since it all comes from the Colorado), I never had any water at home that didn't get thrown through a Brita filter. Water down there.. you'd swear that when you see it coming out of the tap that it looks like milk. It is that milky. So filtered, or nothing at all.

But we digressed.. something about Fracking, wasn't it? ;)

BL.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

We don't have those. Here it specifies the exact spring of origin.
    In the US I'd just drink Evian or San Pellegrino (my personal favorite)

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's really a sign of the end of the Progressive-era that we can't depend on the viability of our water system and now have to purchase filtration systems or depend on bottled water. Bottled water is massively wasteful (nothing like taking, for example, California's water and using large amounts of energy to package it into plastic bottles and ship it around the United States on a truck) and ridiculously expensive.

One thing to note is that the "milky" quality is often air that gets trapped into the system and is a sign of a leak somewhere in your home. Our family cabin pulls water from a spring and it looks like milk at first.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Bottled water isn't always much better, but I agree with you regarding LA water. I haven't been in San Diego in years, so I can't comment there.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You're better off drinking from the Pacific. And that's saying a lot about the Pacific. :p

BL.

19. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

As a moderate...

...I'd like to remind Liberals that this fracking renaissance in the USA is occurring with permits from Obama's EPA.

...and I'd like to remind Conservatives that we are enjoying really low gas prices under Obama.

:p

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Damn you for taking us out of our comfort zones! :mad:

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you call $3.59 cheap?

22. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I looked up the national average for today and it's $2.71, so you must be living in an exorbitantly expensive area.

For me it's $2.93 down the street and that's with a Memorial Day Weekend price hike. A few weeks ago I paid $2.40. The most I've paid historically was just over $4. So, yes, it is relatively cheap.

But every area is different, so I'll accept your point. I should not have said "gas". Every news article is about the low price of oil, not gas.

23. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Michigan also pre-empts local bans on mining, drilling, etc. Blanket bans, even at a local level, are IMO a form of unconstitutional taking. Don't want drilling to occur on a piece of land? Buy it yourself, freaking cheapskate.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He's in California like me. I've been overseas and paid the equivalent of $6.50~ per gallon. Anything under $4 isn't too bad unless you drive a large vehicle, have a long commute, or do a lot of road trips.

Yeah. I tried a filter and it wasn't enough. I don't know why LA has such terrible water quality. I don't remember San Diego being as bad, although most of the county still fluoridates its water.