Gov't Can Listen to Your iPhone Mic Even When Off?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by liberty4all, Mar 25, 2008.

?

Liberty Being Trampled Too Much?

Poll closed Apr 1, 2008.
  1. No Gestapo, please.

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Bahhh, sheep do as lemmings do - do not think for myself

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. liberty4all Guest

liberty4all

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And here I thought it was just the GPS function that I should be concerned with??

How will I place my "contracts" now with any kind of stealth??

[​IMG]

3. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

4. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

man thats just messed up but seriously were is our freedom in a way its good and in a way its bad but mostly bad, i wish they can use this feature to find the bastard who stole me iphone:mad:

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Eh, as long as they don't charge me minutes I could care less. Can't arrest me for something I haven't done. This type of freedom in America has always been an illusion anyway.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I think the first problem here is that it's from Fox "News".

P.S. Ron Paul's an ass.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, who do you want to tell this to you? It's not like any other "news" agency can do any better today.

8. therevolution macrumors 6502

Careful. That's a heck of a slippery slope.

What if they listened in while you were having sex, or going to the bathroom, or discussing sensitive information? None of those are illegal. How about if it was the camera they were controlling? Unless you think 1984 is a utopian fantasy novel, you need to draw the line somewhere.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Hahahahaha. Classic.

Yeah, keep pretending that all cable news channels are created equal. Fox has zero credibility. They sell newsertainment.

10. liberty4all thread starter Guest

liberty4all

Is Your Cell Phone Bugged?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ujosfSkHFrQ

This short video explores ways to determine if your cell phone has been compromised to act as a bug. While it's obviously unlikely that this would happen to most people, it was recently revealed that the FBI has used this technique, and just as illicit wiretaps are possible, illicit cell phone bugging could also occur.

This video is based on Lauren Weinstein's December 2006 blog entry: "How To Tell If Your Cell Phone Is Bugged" located at:
    http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000202.html

11. Ill Mitch macrumors member

Ill Mitch

:rolleyes: Anything that Fox news reports can't be taken too seriously.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

At least us Toronto boys know it. (I moved to LA in Feb- I lived in the St. Lawrence Market 'hood before I moved.)

Enjoying the snow?:D

Oops, sorry for hi-jacking the thread a little. Fox "News" is gonna raise the Terror Alert.....

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I was watching Fox News...

the other night and I thought it was "Entertainment Tonight" or "The Insider" I busted out laughing when it was Fox News!!! I laughed so hard, my side started to hurt. Please don't take anything that Fox News puts out there as "REAL NEWS!" :eek::D

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

While I understand the concept we've just never had this type of privacy in the US to begin with. People just think we do. I read an excellent article sometime back backing up this claim (wish I could find it). It went to the tune of privacy was even more lax back in the old days where people lived in small towns and everyone knew everyone and everything that went on in the town. A lot less privacy in that case.

15. landis macrumors regular

go T DOT

unfortunately the 'feds' cannot tap our phones!!

16. therevolution macrumors 6502

Bad analogy. You're talking about a different kind of privacy. Actually, you're talking more about anonymity. Even in the small town scenario, people don't gossip about your credit card numbers or social security numbers. They don't have a bug in your house to listen in on anything you otherwise thought was spoken in confidentiality (not talking about party lines, at least then you know others can pick up the phone and listen).

To suggest the government already knows everything we do is ridiculous. If that were true, then I guess murderers and rapists are caught and convicted 100% of the time? Because if I truly have no privacy, then I better at least get that.

Privacy is a fundamental human need. You may not realize it now, but it is. The founders of this country agree; otherwise, we wouldn't have the 4th Amendment. There are many aspects about yourself, some of which you may be comfortable revealing. But to suggest that we've never had privacy and never will - in any form - and that we should therefore not care is... well... wrong. Really wrong. I think most people get that.

17. KilGil27 macrumors regular

KilGil27

18. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You're right, guys.
    Fox News is terrible.
    Why would they report such complete bullsh*t all the time?

Oh wait, here's the same story on news.com:
    http://www.news.com/2100-1029_3-6140191.html

Why don't you go watch MSNBC so you can enjoy Keith Olbermann talking about Fox News for an hour?

19. cupofjoe macrumors regular

20. chewbaccacabra macrumors regular

chewbaccacabra

This has been in many places . . . I am not defending FOX, hate 'em, but this story has been pretty much all over the alternative media for the past couple of years.

21. hegor macrumors member

I put my iphone under my imac speakers. I just hope whoever at the FBI is listening in to my phone enjoys pink floyd.

22. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Sure they can. Conspiracy to do something ;)

23. liberty4all thread starter Guest

liberty4all

Vulnerability to Being Used as a Microphone

So I would say this is due for a security fix from Apple! Anyone submitted it yet?

http://www.wasc.noaa.gov/wrso/security_guide/cellular.htm#4.

Vulnerability to Being Used as a Microphone

A cellular telephone can be turned into a microphone and transmitter for the purpose of listening to conversations in the vicinity of the phone. This is done by transmitting to the cell phone a maintenance command on the control channel. This command places the cellular telephone in the "diagnostic mode." When this is done, conversations in the immediate area of the telephone can be monitored over the voice channel. 4

The user doesn't know the telephone is in the diagnostic mode and transmitting all nearby sounds until he or she tries to place a call. Then, before the cellular telephone can be used to place calls, the unit has to be cycled off and then back on again. This threat is the reason why cellular telephones are often prohibited in areas where classified or sensitive discussions are held.

4. "Just How Secure Is Your Cellular Phone?" article in National Reconnaissance Organization newsletter,1997.

24. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Man also the ******* that stole my wife, she took my iphone...

just jking

25. liberty4all thread starter Guest

liberty4all

Another reason to support EFF:
    http://www.eff.org/

Where does your representative stand?

For more than five years, AT&T and other telephone companies broke the law and violated their customers' privacy rights by sending billions of private domestic internet and telephone communications and records to the National Security Agency.

The Bush administration has been lobbying Congress to let the phone companies off the hook. But recently, the House of Representatives stood strong and passed a bill that would hold them accountable.

http://www.stopthespying.org/