Govt. of Canada says dont carry around birth certificate or citizenship proof!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dinaluvsApple, Apr 30, 2010.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

but apparently to some republicans and "libertarians" canada is the big fascist hellhole.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-life-id.asp

It is not necessary to carry your Confirmation of Permanent Residence form or your permanent resident card around with you.

What you should not carry with you

You should not carry your birth certificate, SIN card or passport with you unless you need them for a specific purpose. If you carry these documents with you and your wallet or purse is lost or stolen, they will be difficult to replace. If they are stolen, there is a risk that someone could use your identity.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- and yet Arizona now needs people to carry papers at all times. Canada is looking better and better all the time- equal marriage rights, cute guys, universal health care. Sounds like... freedom.

Funny, how we in the US think we own that term.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Canada only has around 35,000-120,000 illegals. Arizona probably has the lower side of that estimate alone.

Also you didn't quote what they should carry with them:

"It is important to have two pieces of identification with you at all times and at least one piece of identification with a photo. Common pieces of identification that you may be asked to show to prove your identity include: a driver’s licence, a photocopy of your permanent resident papers (the original should be kept in a safe place or in a safety deposit box at the bank), a health insurance card and a credit card."

Keep in mind this is only for people who are permanent residents or citizens.

4. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

you mean like that truck driver who was a citizen born in USA but was arrested?

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No, I mean like a canadian citizen or permanent resident. I imagine I will have to carry my visa paperwork.

6. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

You don't need to carry any ID around with you in the UK.

This sounds like madness to me!

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's because it IS madness.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Does anyone here from the US not carry their ID around with them?

9. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

10. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I go lots of places with out any form of ID on me. I'll stick some cash in my pocket and ride my bike to the convenience store near me at least twice a week. But I'm a white boy so I don't have to worry about being asked to prove my citizenship.

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Welcome to Arizona!:)

[​IMG]

"Show me your papers, are your papers in order?"

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not quite. He did have his ID, a commercial drivers license. Apparently it wasn't enough to prove he's here legally and had to get his birth certificate.

And no, I don't carry around my birth certificate with me. Maybe that's because I'm white. But since my last name is hard to pronounce, maybe I should start carrying it so they don't think I'm an illegal Russian immigrant :rolleyes:

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

прибет, документы пожалуйста.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Right back at ya ;)

I don't know a single word of Russian. Unless "vodka" is a Russian word. Then I know one.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Most of the time, I have it with me, but if I go out to a coffee shop or something, I might just take some cash, and when I'm running, I almost never carry that kind of official ID with me (I need one of those runner's tags for if I'm ever in an accident, but that's another issue).

My college friend had this "Ya Amerikanyetz" sweatshirt that came from the Air Force during WWII, that essentially said, in Russian, "I'm an American. We're fighting on the same side. Please don't shoot me." :)

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I only knew hello and please, I had to look up "documents" which is strangely enough pronounced about the same way in both languages.

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

He's asking you for your papers.

Crap. Busted, me.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You misspelled hello! :p It's привет. <-- that fourth character sounds like a "v" whereas the one you typed sounds like a "b". :)

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't think the police are going to be suspicious of someone out for a jog I could be wrong though I guess.

Hopefully no germans knew Russian. lol.

Whoops, its been a while.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Even though I hope that this Arizona legislation is found unconstitutional speedily, I'm really curious to see how it plays out in the sense of how they actually enforce this. Granted, runners don't exactly fit the MO of the illegal immigrant. I don't look Mexican to any Mexicans I know, but I do have brown skin... I'm pretty sure I got singled out at least once for that reason after 9/11. Who knows what the police will actually do?

21. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

how is it that you consider the government being able to control your health care, freedom??

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How is it that Americans consider being unable to pay for health care and dying as a result freedom?

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I generally do not.

24. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

How is a profit motivated country that often benefits when you die from being sick having control over your healthcare freedom?

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

If you mean something that proves citizenship, then I rarely have anything like that with me