GPS: A Social Issue?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Dec 11, 2012.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I imagine a large number of people have seen this story in one form or another. The amazing thing to me is that everyone is "blaming" Apple. But, just yesterday, I was using Google Maps to suggest a route through heavy traffic, and, the place I sought directions for moved locations about eight or nine years ago. No big deal. But then, I am "well oriented". Obviously, for many people, this is a matter of life and death.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/technology/2012/12/apple-maps-are-so-bad-they-just-might-kill-you/4114/

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I know it's like "Turn on Sat Nav, turn off brain".

We have a road in this town where every week at least one truck becomes stuck.:(

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I use Apple Maps for gps navigation all the time and never get lost. Maybe Apple just hates Aussies.

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I remember a time when you looked at a map before going somewhere. The rest is intuition and reading signs and terrain.

I don't know what they teach in schools anymore.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

They teach kids how to use computers. I bet our kids will be like these kids of ours, can't even use a computer, they just use their brain interface to the cloud.

6. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

First, I have no smart phone. So I'm not pro Apple or Pro Android.

A friend was taking me to a doctors appt. and we had no idea how to get there. First we looked at the map the phone gave us, then as when we got close to the destination we turn on the turn by turn voice. It pointed out what streets what to look for and what signs to look for as well. He was using a Android phone.

Doesn't Apple Maps have this too? If so how could they not realized they where going the wrong way? Again I have no clue how it works on the iPhone. :/

Hugh

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It does, the problem is in this case, and many others, the turn by turn directions were leading to the wrong place. I've had Apple maps give me turn by turn instructions that told me to turn into a field to get on the freeway, obviously I knew that was wrong and ignored it, but if I was trying to get somewhere I wasn't familiar with and it was leading me down actual roads I wouldn't have any way of knowing that, especially if things weren't signed well.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Some people are completely useless in this regard, so much so that they hold the map upside down.

A moment: imagine you're so directionally befuddled that you don't notice that all the words for towns, roads and mountains are upside down...

Yeah, that's how utterly doomed some people are.

That said, I didn't notice till I went hiking a few weeks ago on an unfamiliar trail how much I'd become dependent on the handy-dandy ability to know exactly where I was.

After missing the trail twice, I had to backtrack, dig out my map and study the terrain for a good while before I figured out what I was doing wrong. I should have done this before I left camp, but I'm so used to having a GPS-enabled device, I forgot what it was like to navigate using the sun and my own sense of direction.

I learned map-reading and navigation in the scouts.

9. Andeavor macrumors 6502

We learned that in geography class; geology, cartography etc. It should be basic knowledge.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Remember when people weren't idiot zombies who could think for themselves and live their lives without relying on technology?

People need to stop blaming technology for their own stupidity.

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

"Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs will start thinking and the people will stop. " --Tron, 1982

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I find it interesting that so many are relying this melange of systems to be basically a public utility. Just like electricity in New York City, they have an expectation that, short of hurricane Sandy, the electricity will be on in most places most of the time.

Is that reasonable for iOS maps? Is iOS 5-9's reliable? Is cell coverage 5-9's available on all roads even in the Outback? Is the map content 5-9's accurate?

The fact is that people are sometimes relying on these handheld systems as if they were hardened realtime aircraft navigation systems. They aren't, and, most people know that. But, apparently the fraction of navigation-challenged people is large, and, the temptation to rely on a handy PDA-phone is just too great to resist.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I am navigation challenged, but I thankfully don't drive. :rolleyes:

We have always used MapQuest/Google Maps in this household. But we usually print the map out with the directions, and sit there and look at it for about 10 minutes, making sure we know what we're doing and whether there are better routes. This is how it should be done by everyone. And even better, filing it in something like Evernote is even a cooler idea so you can go back to it.

The problem with using book versions of maps is that, especially around here, if you took a map from like 10 years ago, it's completely different. There are places that were there five years ago, that are no longer there, or there are houses being built in areas where it used to be just land. So it's just as dangerous, there are freeway expansions that are not in those books, for example.

But the really sad thing is that I was in a taxi one time, and the driver had a GPS system in there too. Makes me wonder what would have happened if he didn't have it.

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I would argue that most people would prefer to have someone or something else do the thinking for them, because it makes life "easier". Yes, having a map on your phone is a wonderful tool, but I'm reminded of the old adage where the math student wonders why he has to learn long division when he has a calculator to do it for him, then can't answer when he's asked what he would do when his calculator breaks.

Oddly enough, you can always call and ask for directions. I heard from my grandfather that phones were used in the olden days to make phone calls.

15. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I wish my school didn't spoil us with calculators so soon, I'm already bad at math but I'm useless with multiplications and divisions...

Unfortunately, you always end up with a computer voice on the other line. Why not skip all that hassle and ask Siri? At least she sounds more competent than a human operator.