GPS help, is there an app that will let me create a route with points of interest?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by naked, Dec 17, 2008.

1. naked macrumors member

Long story short: I'm going canoeing, and I'd like to use the iPhone's GPS to make a track of where I'll be going. I'd also like to create points of interest. I'm trying to create a new digital copy of an old map. Any programs that would help with this? I don't mind paying if it works well.

Also, I'll be out of coverage at some points, will the GPS still track even though the map isn't updated?

Thanks, any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

2. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Are you trying to create a route before you go or do you want to track where you've been? If the latter, there are a number of apps in the App Store that use GPS to track your route. Check in the Navigation and the Fitness categories. I don't have any specific recommendations, but there is a pretty large assortment. I think any of them will still track your route, even if you're out of cell coverage. I think at least one of them allows you to upload your recorded route so that it can be viewed on a map, too.

With regard to canoeing, it might also be worth getting some kind of waterproof case for your iPhone.

3. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

i was actually working with a dev on trying to come up with a "points of interest"/"garage sale" app. where one could put in a bunch of addresses and the app would make a route for you so that you could hit them all in a linear or circular route.

i was informed by the dev that routing software like this is difficult because of some age old problem that actually had a name- i forget what it is now, i'd have to dig up the emails. what the problem basically was- a rout mapped by a program can't take into account water, fields, landmarks, obstructions, etc. in a path.(that's a pretty understated explanation but you get the picture)

in real world experience, we went fishing in one of the lakes near where i live. the boat driver forgot to turn on the GPS when we launched and didn't remember until we were twenty minutes out. once it got dark (new moon, so absolutely no light), we were able to follow the boat's GPS back to our original starting point (20 minutes away from the launch). i used my phone and looked up the name of the launch and mapped it. the route was messed up because i was out in the middle of the lake but the blue dot and the final pin was all we really needed to get back.

i've looked at some of the waterway map apps in the appstore and i'm just hesitant to spend that much money on an app that may or may not do what i need it too.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand