gps question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nachoconqueso, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

How do I turn off the cellphone antennas and keep the gps on? I guess gsm interferes with avy beacons and despite having the Verizon version I'd prefer turning off everything except gps and the beacon. I'd switch it in and out of airplane mode, but it defeats the purpose of doing live location updates with my partner in the backcountry.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can't. Airplane mode is the only thing that controls the cellular radios and it also controls GPS. Not sure if this would work for you, but the iPad 3G can turn off the cellular radios and keep the GPS on. It might be possible if you jailbreak your iPhone, but it'd take a bit of learning first.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you're out in the backcountry, why not get an ordinary GPS like the Garmin gpsmap 62? You can get maps then even if no cell service.

4. Nachoconqueso thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know. I was more about reducing the amount of stuff in my pack. I'll just go into airplane mode. We still use 2 way radios and route planning so gps updated between us isn't necessary. Just another silly convenience. We can always radio each other to turn on our positioning too.

If you could keep gps on and everything else off with a jailbreak tweek then damn it apple.

5. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Does GPS really go off in Airplane mode? Why should it, it's only a receiver.

It's silly if it does.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It really does. Airplane mode's role is to turn off all wireless radios, even receiving only ones. Even flight attendants tell you to turn off GPS devices on airplanes.

7. kfergiez, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

GPS will certainly work with airplane mode on. I switch my phone to airplane mode, and run a topo map with cached map tiles and it works great.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Airplane mode turns off GPS and has ever since the iPhone 3G. The only directional things it doesn't turn off it the compass and gyroscope.

9. Amy133 macrumors newbie

turning gps on and off differs on ATT & Verizon

The answers posted so far are a little misleading. It is true that on the Verizon phone you can not disable cell phone but keep GPS enabled. However, on an AT&T iPhone it is possible to do so by removing SIM or by using SIM lock feature. This capability is critical to preserve battery on multi-day backpacking trips, and for this reason the ATT version is a better option for backpackers.

Thorough coverage about using the iphone for gps/mapping while backpacking, including review of apps and detailed instructions for battery conservation:
    http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

10. Nachoconqueso thread starter macrumors regular

That's kinda cool that it works like that. At least it works somehow. I have the Verizon version so oh well. Hopefully someday they consider allowing a gps only option. I've been successful with pulling it out of the jacket and turning off the airplane mode to double check location. This is kinda random, but you can avoid battery life issues on mult-days with a solar charger. I'm probably going to try one soon.