GPS Round-Up: TomTom IN, Navigon IN, Garmin OUT, and Telenav PROBABLY!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tunnelrunner, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Tunnelrunner macrumors regular

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...solution_providers_plan_iphone_offerings.html

So so far, confirmed GPS Apps for 3.0: 1) TomTom, 2) Navigon, 3) G-Map East/West.

Garmin and Magellan are out. Garmin wants to focus on their Nuviphone. IMHO, that's a mistake. Garmin had a great opportunity to partner with the most popular smartphone on the planet and they blew it - time will tell how bad the mistake was. Kudos to TomTom (and the others) for seizing the opportunity.

Lastly, I'm feeling pretty confident Telenav and Sygic will be up next. I'm torn between TomTom or Telenav. Maybe I'll take both? I already have G-Map. :)

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Nuvifone? How long did that take? DElayed over a year, right? They could storm the sports sensor and tech market for iPhone, but will they? Not so likely.

3. MTI macrumors 65816

It could work for Garmin, hitching their wagon to Android. They get a bigger piece of the hardware end; don't have to worry about competition on the platform or if a piece of software will cannibalize their traditional product line and money maker.

4. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

5. MTI macrumors 65816

From the linked article: There is speculation TomTom could match the iPhone app's price to TomTom's basic GPS devices. That would put the app's price around $50, but it's all speculation at this point.

Any speculation which body orifice this was pulled from? :D