Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...solution_providers_plan_iphone_offerings.html

So so far, confirmed GPS Apps for 3.0: 1) TomTom, 2) Navigon, 3) G-Map East/West.

Garmin and Magellan are out. Garmin wants to focus on their Nuviphone. IMHO, that's a mistake. Garmin had a great opportunity to partner with the most popular smartphone on the planet and they blew it - time will tell how bad the mistake was. Kudos to TomTom (and the others) for seizing the opportunity.

Lastly, I'm feeling pretty confident Telenav and Sygic will be up next. I'm torn between TomTom or Telenav. Maybe I'll take both? I already have G-Map. :)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...solution_providers_plan_iphone_offerings.html

So so far, confirmed GPS Apps for 3.0: 1) TomTom, 2) Navigon, 3) G-Map East/West.

Garmin and Magellan are out. Garmin wants to focus on their Nuviphone. IMHO, that's a mistake. Garmin had a great opportunity to partner with the most popular smartphone on the planet and they blew it - time will tell how bad the mistake was. Kudos to TomTom (and the others) for seizing the opportunity.

Lastly, I'm feeling pretty confident Telenav and Sygic will be up next. I'm torn between TomTom or Telenav. Maybe I'll take both? I already have G-Map. :)

Nuvifone? How long did that take? DElayed over a year, right? They could storm the sports sensor and tech market for iPhone, but will they? Not so likely.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
It could work for Garmin, hitching their wagon to Android. They get a bigger piece of the hardware end; don't have to worry about competition on the platform or if a piece of software will cannibalize their traditional product line and money maker.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
From the linked article: There is speculation TomTom could match the iPhone app's price to TomTom's basic GPS devices. That would put the app's price around $50, but it's all speculation at this point.

Any speculation which body orifice this was pulled from? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.