GPS turn-by-turn directions app that caches travel history?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jent, Jul 10, 2012.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I am currently using the free MapQuest app on my iPhone for my GPS needs. It's not great but it gets the job done. One thing that's a shame is that it doesn't seem to cache one's recent driving routes at all, nor does it give you the ability to ask to to save or pre-cache specified routes so that you can download the map imagery over wifi and/or avoid needing to re-download image tiles for routes you use more than once. With the amount of driving I've been doing lately it's really taking a toll on my data usage. Can anyone recommend a free or inexpensive GPS driving directions app that saves map imagery from recent routes? Thanks!

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

GPS Drive by MotionX allows you to pre-cache your route just like you want. It allows you to set aside up to 2Gig of space for maps, so I believe it will keep up to this amount of map data until it gets overwritten. I don't have enough experience to know if it will definitely NOT try to re-download map data if you DO have a connection. All I know is that the intention is be sure you have the map data if you don't have a signal.

Regards,
    Tom

3. qubeofwar macrumors regular

I heard co-pilot provides a great mapping application with offline support.

4. soch macrumors member

Extra Mile App does what you are looking for. It gives turn by turn directions along with route tracking that can be exported as KML file once your trip ends.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/extra-mile-fuel-meter-trip/id439589978?mt=8