Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loopdigger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
hi everybody,
seems my gpu died (hd 4780 1gig) yesterday so im looking for a cheap way to replace it.
my question.
is it possible to flash a gpu for macpro usage on a PC running win7? googled this for an hour, no success...

im using my mac for Audio only so i guess gpu power isnt that important, what would you consider a useable makeshift to just display my daw?

macpro 5.1 3,3 ghz hex 10.8.3

cheers

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
hi everybody,
seems my gpu died (hd 4780 1gig) yesterday so im looking for a cheap way to replace it.
my question.
is it possible to flash a gpu for macpro usage on a PC running win7? googled this for an hour, no success...

im using my mac for Audio only so i guess gpu power isnt that important, what would you consider a useable makeshift to just display my daw?

macpro 5.1 3,3 ghz hex 10.8.3

I'm a little confused how you ended up with a 4870 in a 5,1. I think 5,1 only came with 5770 or 5870.

There are certain cards you can flash with varying degrees of difficulty. However if you just want a cheap card for basic desktop support, you could get a Mac compatible GT120 or 5770 off of Ebay and you wouldn't need to flash it yourself.

Reactions: Loopdigger

Loopdigger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
I'm a little confused how you ended up with a 4870 in a 5,1. I think 5,1 only came with 5770 or 5870.

There are certain cards you can flash with varying degrees of difficulty. However if you just want a cheap card for basic desktop support, you could get a Mac compatible GT120 or 5770 off of Ebay and you wouldn't need to flash it yourself.

hey,
i got a 5.1 flashed 4.1 with cpu upgrade for a good price a few years ago.
the gt120 seems like perfect for my needs. it looks fancy too :)
thought about flashing because i could have picked up a used 4870 locally for 10 bucks in contrast of a 5year old mac 5770 for 80.- ...

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...out-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/
info on PC cards in a macpro

something like a GT 620 might be a super cheep option on ebay (you cant flash it but i think it will work)

your on 10.8 so some of the newer cards wont work
awesome!! man i was hopin for somethin like that.
gonna give it a shot.

thanks for your replies, much apprechiated

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 219
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.