GPU-Z and xfx HD 4890 (HD-489X-ZSFC) but no windows

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by spiralof5, Jul 12, 2010.

1. spiralof5 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Am I going to have to bite the bullet and install Windows on bootcamp to download my factory rom? Is that the only way? I'm running vmWare Fusion right now but it vmwf only uses an SVGA driver.

I have 10.5.8 installed. Does that mean I'll have the drivers I need when I install windows?

Thanks,

spiral

2. spiralof5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Man, I really need help.

So I have the card powered. The fan is turning and what not. The problem is that Windows in boot camp isn't recognizing the damned card either.

How the hell can I dump the original rom? Please help.

Thanks,

Spiral

3. spiralof5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Furthermore, the card does not quite fit in the tower. Has anyone with the same card had that problem? What did you do to fix it?

Thanks,

Spiral

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

The ZWFC fits fine

Install latest ATI drivers in windows to get it to recognize the card

Take a deep breath

5. spiralof5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man.

Yeah, the HD-489X-ZSFC fits, but it doesn't fit well. I can definitely tell that there is a very slight slant, and it would be really tight getting a screw into the right most DVI port. It also pops up too high for me to screw in the plate that holds the cards (on the inside). I guess I could file the end down a bit but I don't want metal dust anywhere near my card.

I am running Vista under bootcamp. When I installed the latest drivers it just said:

"Incompatible display adapter has been disabled. At least one display adapter on the system has been disabled because its driver is not compatible with the driver for the VGA adapter." I noticed everyone has been putting their video card in slot 2. Hopefully the above message has nothing to do with that.

GPU-Z did recognize that there was a card there and that it was made by ATI but the bios of the card was blank and trying to dump the rom told me it was unsupported. Even stranger it said I had 4 gigs of ram in the vid card lol. I WISH! I tried GPU-Z versions 0.4.2. 0.4.3, and 0.4.4.

Anyways, I f-ed up my bootcamp install as I made it 8 gigs which is too small. Then OS X pooped on me so I had to do a time machine recovery. Reinstalling windows now and am going to try again. Seems like a bunch of work just to get the Factory ROM but I'm sure it's worth it.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks,

spiral

6. MacVidCards Suspended

It would be a BAZILLION times easier to use the FreeDOS CD and create a small HD partition that can be seen by DOS.

I have posted this many times but nobody listens.

You boot via CD, then hit C: to switch to DOS partition where you have ATIFlash 3.79. Dump your ROM, flash your ROM, etc. For that matter, you could probably then INSTALL DOS on that partition and boot to it whenever you wanted. And a couple Gigs would be MORE than enough space. Before GUIs were in 3D and had way-cool effects, OSs were miniscule and needed very little space.

I would only install Windows if you think you might have some actual use for Bootcamp.

7. spiralof5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Rominator,

Too late because I already installed Windows. Couldn't I just put ATIFlash 3.79 right on the FreeDos cd?

I grew up with DOS and Windows 3.1 so I think I'd be fairly comfortable doing it this way. I do however like a gui. It somehow reassures me that I am a dumbass and if I'm not careful I'll screw it all up.

Cindori,

Yeah, Windows still is giving me an error with the latest Windows Drivers supplied by XFX and ATI. I'm going to try what Rominator said in order to dump the rom. I still can't use GPU-Z to dump the ROM. Why is windows giving me this crap about drivers?

8. spiralof5 thread starter macrumors newbie

commands to save original rom

Rominator,

Would this be the procedure in saving the rom?

First figure out where it's located and the size using both of these commands (or 1, I'm not sure).

-i [NUM]Display information of ATI adapters in the system

-ai [NUM]Display advanced information of ATI adapters [NUM] if specified

then do this command to save the rom:

-s <NUM> <FILE> [SIZE] Save BIOS image from adapter <NUM> to file <FILE>
    First [SIZE] kbytes (except for Theater in bytes) of ROM

Is this correct? Do I just start ATIFLASH by typing in atiflash.exe when I navigate to the directory of where it is at?

Thanks,

spiral

9. audio_inside macrumors regular

@Rominator: now you know why he'd prefer Windoze and the GPU-Z GUI.

@spiralof5: Do you have any any graphics card working under your Boot Camp installation? The physical incompatibility you describe sounds extremely sketchy. If the card is not fully socketed you could have all kinds of mayhem occur in your system.

And BTW, do you have a RAID setup? That's how I hosed my Mac boot drive during initial Boot Camp install, even though I wasn't installing BC to the RAID. Apple makes only vague references to the incompatibility of Boot Camp with RAID installaions.

-Steve

10. MacVidCards Suspended

So, you open Windows and it says "For using GPU-Z, you get an ERROR" ?

That's all the info you have given here.

Computers have a specific response from a specific input. Pretty predictable that way.

But if you don't explain "giving me an error" any better than that, we can't give you a better answer than "golly gee, it shouldn't do that".

So, the quality of help you will get be DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to the quality of info you give us.

Which GPU-Z are you using? (This means VERSION NUMBER)

Look in Device Manager, what does it say about 4890.

What exactly happens when you run GPU-Z?

BTW...in DOS the command to save ROM in ATIFlash 3.79 is :

atiflash -s 0 pc4890.rom

THis only applies if it is only ATI card in system, otherwise you need to use:

atiflash -i

and see what slot the card is to the system.