Grace

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Nov 9, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I won't pretend to be anything other than shocked, saddened, and more than a little angry about the results of yesterday's Election. My faith in the fundamental wisdom of the American people has been deeply - perhaps irreparably - shaken.

But this I do know: In a little over two months, Barack and Michelle Obama will stand on a podium in front of the Capitol building in Washington as Donald Trump is sworn in as President. And they will conduct themselves with the highest standards of decorum, dignity, and grace. And I think we should take lesson from their example.

We, who voted for Trump's opponent, who vigorously opposed his message, need to more forward. Life will go on. We have our businesses and our careers; our education, our health, our friends, families, and our avocations to attend to.

What we are not going to do is this: We are not going to spend any time contesting and arguing about the results of the election. We are not going to argue about Trump's eligibility to serve as President. His tax returns, his comments about different races or religions on the campaign trail, his behavior on TV shows a decade previously - all that is irrelevant. As President, he has the right, and the duty, to appoint cabinet members and judges. And unless the person he nominates is a criminal or is clearly unqualified, that person should be confirmed.

I fear greatly for the future of our country. I worry about the economy, about our relations with our allies, about the international reputation of the United States. And I worry, perhaps most of all, about what actions Vladimir Putin may feel emboldened to take, knowing that Donald Trump is our Commander in Chief. Really.

But I am not going to hope for disaster or misfortune to befall us.

There will be another election in four years. It is up to us, those of us who believe in a progressive and inclusive America, to make our case in the intervening time.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I think trumps victory is very similar to brexit. At least, from groups which are voting for a nationwide decision.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

We will, however, demand fill disclosure on the immigration status of Melania.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Never thought I would agree with this on a vrdrew post.

6. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

I just wish remoaners in the UK could take their Brexit defeat with grace instead of trying to usurp the result at every opportunity.

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I'm still in shock we voted Nyarlathotep as our President.o_O Uvhash...I mean...Hillary would have been harder to dislodge as President than Nyarlathotep Trump. I don't see Trump still in office this time next year.:oops: 1 year of Donald Trump > 4 years of Hillary Clinton.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why? Where's the plan?

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

You just can't skip anger, bargaining, and depression. You need to get on the the anger stage, blow a gasket and call us all racist, bigoted, sexist, xenophobic, deplorable asshats. Then get yourself banned, then come back and get on to a bargaining, and depression.

Oh, wait, we've already been called racist, bigoted, sexist, xenophobic, deplorable asshats. So, you must be in the bargaining stage now.

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Very well written, and I would echo the exact same thoughts had Clinton been elected.

We go through this every four years during the presidential elections. We made it through 8 years of Bush, we made it through 8 years of Obama, and we will make it through four years of Trump. We can't predict the future, so it's best to look up and continue living our lives, much as how we would have through a Clinton presidency.

Again, very well said vrDrew, I agree with you fully.

11. steve23094, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

I enjoy knowing that there isn't anything remoaners can do to stop Brexit, but their incessant whining gets tiresome and they're behaving like spoilt brats.

The British like to give it the 'big I am' about having the mother of all parliaments and being the cradle of modern democracy, but frankly the United States has shown us up as people that can accept a democratic result no matter personal views and are prepared to roll up their sleeves and get on with it. Remoaners are an embarrassment to their country. I'm grateful that as time goes by remoaners continue to dwindle in number until eventually it will only be the extremists left (remoaners as a distinct group from remainers).

12. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Because Trump is in fact a United States citizen and not a Kenya citizen posing as a United States citizen. Get off your high horse.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2016 ---
    Corrected it for you. If he does what he says he will do I'm voting for him again.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Seriously dude? I don't recall ever seeing you post in here but now I know to not bother reading your posts.

14. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Thats right go back into your echo chamber and listen to the mass media lies.
    [​IMG]

15. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I see this kick back by white people attempting to wind back globalization in their favor as being on the wrong side of history.

Of course as a middle aged white male American I realize I’m in those “time is up” crosshairs. The things I could have accomplished. Oh well. I’m also not at all prepared for our future gun based economy.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Of course there is.

No government with any sense will be prepared to torpedo the economy.
    So the Hawaiian local paper reports at the time were faked :rolleyes:.
    More people want to remain now than before the vote...

17. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

You keep dreaming.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Wake me up when you have a plan for Brexit.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got 2 questions for you:

1. How will he be removed from office?
    2. Who will Pence pick to be his VP?

20. steve23094, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

You should probably have a handle on how the machinations of politics works before posting on a Politics forum. Brexit is happening despite your feeble protestations. You can't effect any change and you're preaching to an emptying room, have you noticed your fellow remoaners are slowly but surely slinking away from the forums? They have figured it out, you're just a bit slower on the uptake.

I tell you what, it's not something I would normally do but for you I'll make an exception. Let's make an agreement. If Article 50 is triggered within the next year I can rub your face in it all over the forums without you moaning to the moderators. If it's not triggered you can do the same to me. Whaddya say?

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Crap that burrito tinfoil is getting used again. I think it got passed around..

22. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Maybe next time the DNC won't screw us out of who we wanted (Bernie).

23. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

The word you are looking for is forged.

24. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How would that work?

Or do you mean the Kenyan one is forged. In which case I agree.