Grade the Event

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hankster, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

A. B. C. D. F.

Grade the event based on what you wanted to see and what you were expecting to see.

For me there was nothing new or special I didn't see coming. All upgrades to the 5S were minor.

GRADE C+

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I agree with you, but giving it a C- ... nothing "earth shattering" to give it an A, nothing revolutionary to give it a B, and without a 128gb or pre-order option or unlocked version of the 5S, dropped it almost to a D.

It's doing exactly what Apple has done in the last couple years... the bare minimum... unfortunately with Android and Samsung going above and beyond, the bare minimum isn't going to excite people anymore.

3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

4. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

I agree. The issue for Apple really comes down to the market and competition. Before, Apple was the only dog in town. So, they could make customers wait for products and features. Now with Samsung, HTC and Google in the same market the competition is not the same.

The upgrade to the iPhone 5 is nothing so major as to make me really want to upgrade. The finger scanner is nice, but is it really going to change the way I use my phone? Not really. Plus, I still believe the scanner is less secure than a passcode (watch how many college stories come up about roommates screwing around with each others phones at night).

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd give it a C+. The fingerprint sensor could be very useful if it turns out to be quicker to read your print than type in your passcode. All the rest are standard upgrades.

6. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

D

Not because I was unhappy with the it, but because it was all academic.
    The first time there was absolutely zero surprises.
    They usually have some feature that sneaks past the rumor sites.
    No NFC, no 128GB, no different LTE tech.

It also seems to me, going by the live blog, they couldn't get past the ios7 and itunes radio announcement fast enough.
    No real demo on why they are so important.

7. rovex macrumors 65816

8. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

I know, I forgot all about NFC and new networking technology. Very surprised they didn't add that to the 5S. But, agree with you on the lack of innovations or just upgrades in general.

The fingerprint scanner may run the same course as SIRI.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

it is actually good they did not waste time on that since they just did a conference on IOS 7 a few months ago.

10. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

A from me

Blown away by the finger sensor unlock and iTunes purchases.
    64 bit means desktop class performance on a smartphone.
    The new camera features are all absolutely incredible and best in class.

I can't wait to get my 5s. So excited.

11. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Wow, doesn't take much to get you excited. I think the general consensus is it's a nice upgrade, but not "exciting"

12. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

If I didn't have an iPhone 5 already or if I was upgrading from a 4 or 4S I would be excited. The increase in speed is nominal when it comes to your eyes, everything will be .05 seconds faster...not really major impact. The camera will be a nice upgrade and the fingerprint scanner...well that'll be interesting.

13. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I would give it a D...only because I find the leather case to be intriguing (black or red one is nice). iPhone 5S would have been better update with NFC and the price of the iphone 5C is ridiculous. Also, the 5S should have 32GB as a base model.

I am fine with my iphone 5 so I'll wait for the 6.

14. willdog123 macrumors newbie

15. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

No, it does not mean that.

16. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

I keep a simple thin black case on my black iPhone 5. But, I don't see the point of making a beautiful phone only to cover it up. Apple always touts about the quality and design of the phone...yet almost user covers the phone up so you can't see the quality or design anyway!

17. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

All of you follow rumors then wonder why you weren't blown away :rolleyes:

18. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

C

iPhone 5S seems pretty cool but not cool enough to make me break contract on my 5. That's my other issue. Why keep the 4S around and drop the 5 completely?! My phone is 8 months old and now I'm stuck with an obsolete model until January 2015.

19. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

Another interesting point is the price of the 5C. It's not much cheaper than the 5S. The base model 5C is $99 on contract and the base model 5S is $199. Well, if you afford the monthly contract fee you can certainly afford $100 extra bucks!

20. greenythebeast macrumors regular

F.

Completely underwhelmed. 64bit is useless with 1GB of RAM. Fingerprint sensor is all in all just a gimmick. Nothing new to entice someone to buy one if they already have a 5 unless they're a mindless fanboy. No iPads, no laptops. Just a bunch of marketing BS. Apple misses Steve a lot.

21. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Investors aren't impressed, stock down 2% in 1 hour.

It has nothing to do with following the rumors. It's about innovation, and nothing Apple did today was innovative. Samsung has taken the lead on innovation.

22. Hankster thread starter macrumors 68020

Hankster

Apple stock at 3:11pm EST is $497.76 down $-8.41‎ which is a -1.66%‎ drop. Worth nothing thought the day low was $489.50 which was at 2:30pm.

23. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

C-.

I think too much time was spent on wowing us with in-depth technical specs, but I understand they had to fill all that time with something. There wasn't enough new product or features to demonstrate to fill up the event time, and I suppose some get that "wow-factor" from seeing something has a bajillion transistors. I could care less.

Personally, I think the swiss-cheese cases for the 5C are ugly. I guess internally, they figured out that the 5C color would be covered by a case so they made cases with holes? I don't get it.