Graduate work abroad: how are these schools in UK/Australia?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jackiecanev2, Feb 27, 2009.

1. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I have an amazing opportunity to travel abroad and continue my graduate studies (completely funded :)) for 6months-1year at the following universities:

United Kingdom
    University of Essex (Colchester)
    Keele University (Keele)
    Leicester University (Leicester)
    Oxford Brookes University (Oxford)

Australia
    Macquarie University (Sydney)
    Edith Cowan University (Perth)
    Deakin University (Victoria)

This is not something I planned to do, and it has just fallen into my lap. I've always wanted to study somewhere else, and the way I figure is that it's now or never. How are these schools? What are the towns that they are in like? Does anyone here on the forums attend at one and have any input? I've been busy reading about all of them but its just so much information to take in, and I'd like some real-life input!

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I'm applying to Leicester and Essex Uni's this year. They are both nice places, although Colchester isn't the nicest town in the world. They're not schools, their universities:p Although colchester has some nice surrounding villages so I'm told.

What would you be doing and where would you stay? I can attempt to answer any questions:) Happy hunting!

3. jackiecanev2 thread starter macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Biochemistry/biomedical science research. Supposedly, each university has specialized programs in my area of study, and there is graduate on-campus housing (strange, as we don't really have that here in the states).

So is Leicester a nice area? Safe, relatively (for a small female)? Hows the transportation?

Oh, and how queer-friendly are these areas, if anyone knows?

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I'm afraid I can't go into much detail because I've never actually lived in either place - but i've got a friend studying at Leicester University.

As far as essex goes for transportation, the bus service seems good and you are roughly an hour from London, so a definite plus there.
    Leicester - transport is similar, very good - although I didn't have a chance to look at the accommodation so I think it might be off campus slightly. Again, a bit further from London but still not far by train. I would say that having a car is probably out of the question in any of the UK universities.

It seems reasonably safe - although again I don't really know, i'll have to ask. As far as queer-friendliness goes... I'm not really sure what you mean - it doesn't seem an issue in any part of Britain:confused:
    Hope this is useful to you.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Club Mac (Macquarie Uni) has a bit of a rep for being a bit "lax" if you know what I mean but it seems a good Uni (we don't call them schools here, school is what you go to before you go to Uni).

Not sure about the others though

What degree are you taking?

EDIT: missed the second bit - Club Mac is pretty good, they finally got their own rail station so getting anywhere is a piece of piss and as for queer-friendly, well, you're at Uni, in Sydney, VERY friendly.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The only one I can vouch for on your list is Macquarie University in Sydney. It's a really beautiful university but alas I've never managed to go there for coursework. It's set about 40 minutes out of Sydney in relatively quiet bushland area. The campus is very nice with plenty of open space. They're currently doing a lot of construction as far as accommodation goes and they are pouring a lot of money into medical training there - however I'm not sure how this will overlap with your study. I've always had a thing for the campus, it's so beautiful and quiet. The library is great and I've seen many hours out there.

The campus is across the road from a shopping centre/mall called the Macquarie centre which is reasonably large by Australian standards. It's got everything you need - cafes, food court, cinemas, ice rink etc. There's also some reasonable pubs within easy walking distance. And a golf driving range and requisite sports centre replete with pool etc if you're keen. It's about a half an hour walk/short drive to Lane Cove national park which has the beautiful lane cove river for picnicking, hiring boats, or bushwalking. Overall Mac Uni is a little bit of an isolated community - the good thing is that it's easy to get into the city from there is you're after action.

As far as transport goes you're about 40 minutes from the city by either train or perhaps a little less by car outside of peak. Just last week the new railway station at the uni opened up so now there's trains at the doorstep that run to chatswood (a big shopping hub on the North Shore of Sydney) and then into Sydney city proper. So travel would be super easy for you.

As far as gay friendly Sydney is Sydney. We have our massive gay and lesbian mardi gras and our city has many, many gay pubs. The night life is wonderful and by and large it's a very gay friendly society. Even out in the suburbs I don't think you'll find too much problem at all. Certainly not at uni.

Anyway let me know if you've any more questions. I've always wanted to study O/S and will hopefully get my opportunity towards the end of this year as well.