Grand Theft Auto 3 on the iPhone (Controlls)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nerdy Keith, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Nerdy Keith macrumors member

Nerdy Keith

Ok so I just purchased the iPhone version of this game yesterday. It looks really great. My only issue is trying to figure out how to make the character walk. Sometimes when I tap and hold the middle of the screen I can get him walking then other times that doesn't work.

Any ideas?

2. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Isn't there an on screen joystick on the left side of the screen?

I purchased the game myself a while ago. I don't play it anymore though as I've already beat it. I hope they come out with Vice City next!

3. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

There is a joystick in the lower left corner. Just tap there and it will show as long as you're holding it.

4. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Welcome to aggravating touch gaming for 3D games :)

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

yeh especially when you are playing a game like clear vision (idk if 2D or 3D) and you wanna press fire but the scope moves and bam fail...

6. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Yup. Imagine the fail while playing Modern Combat 3 online on the ipad or iphone. "Hey i pressed the *bleeping* fire button why am i standing for 5 seconds and doing nothing while the other person is blasting my face. Oh wait, my finger was a bit displaced from the button".

There is no way touch gaming (taking out casual stuff) can be better than a controller or keyboard. Tactile > virtual controls.

7. SurferMan, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

SurferMan macrumors 65816

yeh I didn't like the controls, both iOS and Android.... but that's actually my impression for lot's of games like this, graphics etc and all that can be great, but the controls are generally a let down on both OS's. Android felt slightly better but only b/c of the bigger screen for more room, not necessarily better control. Just the limiting factor (on screen controls) with these types of games being played crammed on a phone screen with so much action going on.

Brothers In Arms drove me nutz on the iPhone, game is great, but it's the controls that are lackluster on a 3.5" screen. On the GSII it's a little easier but again not b/c of better controls, just more screen real estate to use.

Not even sure why I download and pay (paid) for a lot of these games lol, as I barely played them. The only game I play really is Gun Bro's, which go figure has great on screen controls for both OS's and is just one of the most intense and fun games.

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

All of you stop complaining about the touch controls right now because I really want VICE CITY iOS.

If you guys keep complaining they won't release.

I beat GTA 3 iOS and the controls were just fine. It's logistically the only way so get used to it, it's not that hard.

9. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

The controls are great for an iPhone. I don't see better solution than the current UI.

I am waiting for San Andreas. :)

10. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I agree, touch controls are horrendous solutions to some games. The only games I feel that the iPhone is good for playing games are games where you swipe (ie cut the rope, infinity blade, where's my water etc) or tap a long the screen games (plants vs zombies) or racing games/tilt puzzle games where you tilt the device to steer etc. Plus the ones like words with friends and angry birds. Not sure which categories they fall under.

11. Nerdy Keith thread starter macrumors member

Nerdy Keith

Thanks everyone I figured it out. I personally don't have a problem with touch screen games, so long as I know how to use them.