Grand Theft Auto 3 Sales: iOS's true power vs Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hitmantb, Dec 18, 2011.

1. hitmantb, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

hitmantb macrumors newbie

This past week, Grand Theft Auto 3 was released at same time for both iOS and Android. Every single tech related web site reported this and all gave it great reviews. Games have always been the #1 category of apps for both iOS and Android, whether it be top paid, top free, or top grossing, games take 50% or more slots on every market. Given iOS games sales beat 3DS + PSP combined this year, it is one of iOS's trump cards.

As I predicted, GTA3 has enough muscles to beat Infinity Blade 2 and went all the way to the top paid app download list and #1 at top grossing chart as well. This is extra impressive given the fact that Rockstar has NO IAP like Infinity Blade 2 to pad their numbers. Great effort and greatly rewarded by Apple's super ecosystem!

4S and iPad 2 already has more muscles than PS2 (higher graphic quality GTA3 for sure), in two years we will have PS3 grade hardware in our pockets and games like Skyrim or Modern Warfare (may need to be shorter but just as sweet style like EA's Dead Space) is very doable with A5 as minimum hardware requirement IF the developer sees enough profit potential.

What about Android? Not only way more device incompatibility issues (can't run it on 2 of the 3 Verizon flagship phones) and bad bad reviews, but the game also sold EXTREMELY poorly. There were multiple versions of the game, none of them on first page of top paid, none of them on first page of top grossing. The highest selling version is stuck between 10000-50000 copies (other versions are 1000-5000, ouch) sold TOTAL, while we all know to be top 5 on paid list of iOS store, you have to score at least 100000 copies on your opening day alone in the US store alone! When you release a product on Apple Store, its is available globally, you do not have to deal with multiple stores and multiple regions! Apple takes care of all of that for you!

And of course, the game is not released on Amazon apps market so #1 selling Android tablet users are out of luck, fragmented ecosystem, fragmented hardware, and piracy! Given the way the game is advertised across every tech blog, I am sure more than 50000 Android users are playing the game. Rockstar probably lost quite a bit of money on the Android side of this development.

Gameloft tried to feed Android with old iOS ports but even they have slowed down. Modern Combat 3, Gangstar Rio etc are all iOS only for now. Same with EA with Sims Freeplay and Need For Speed Shift 2 just to name a few. The reality is the number of high end Android devices is still very low compared to iOS especially when you add in iPad. That market share and Samsung sales numbers is greatly padded by low end phones and prepaid phones at carriers where iPhone is not offered! The Galaxy S2 is the best selling Android phone ever and it sold what 10 million up to this point? Apple sold more 4's in Q3 and it was the quarter before 4S release!

Google needs to clean up their act for Android ecosystem to be worthwhile. Like Microsoft did with DirectX Google needs to provide a unified API. Can they do it? Unlike Microsoft with Windows, Google does not make money from Android directly and has very little experience with hardware support. An iOS user is still using Google search. Until this happens iOS will continue to pocket 90% of the apps revenue AND 55%+ of all mobile phone revenues, Apple making more money from iPhone alone (and that was Q3, before 4S) than Google's whole business.

I LOVE the huge 4.5" screens (Galaxy Nexus screen + everything else 4S = perfect phone for me). But it looks like it is much easier for Apple to offer a bigger screen than Google to ever clean up their ecosystem. Apple already offers screen size choices for iMac/Macbook, time to do it for iPhone!

I see the ecosystem to be iOS's true strength vs Android. In every battle of past (PC vs Mac, Nintendo vs Sega, Sony vs Microsoft), the system with more software sales won in the end. And it is clear iOS will continue to win in this category.

2. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

That's the ease of iOS. Only a few devices (iPad 1 and 2, iPhone 4 and 4S (and possibly the older 3GS)) to support.

One note on that last part: in every battle the system with more software sales won? Well, this is obviously arguable. PC vs Mac: PC has definitely sold more, and there's also much more software for it but you could say that Mac has an easier UI. Nintendo vs Sega: given, Nintendo won. Sony vs Microsoft? I assume you are talking about gaming here. Again, this is arguable: Sony defintely out-sold Microsoft with the PS2. The PS3 and Xbox 360 sold about equally.

3. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

why do you care what device it sold more on? Do you get a royalty?

4. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Not the game i want to be playing on my phone. Especially on a 3.5" screen but the game isnt near as good on a phone period.

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Because OP has nothing better to do with their life? WoW servers where down? Mom forgot to make dinner so he had to wait and had nothing better to do than start this thread? He enjoys starting threads that he knows will turn into a droid v idevice troll fest? OP somehow feels the worth of their life is tied to a phones success? OP feels the worth of their life is pointing out how they "predicted" GTA 3 would beat IB? OP has nothing better to do than troll forum sites, making up brand new user names and posting about how cool GTA on iDevices is?

I guess you could pick from any of those reasons as to why OP felt the need to give us all this info.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Are you going by their short official compatibility test list, or actual run reports? For instance, I believe it runs on the Razr, but doesn't on the Bionic yet. Apparently their games are geared toward Tegra 2 platforms.

It also doesn't run on the iPhone 3GS, which is one of Apple's current models that sells a lot. Nor will it work on anything older than a fourth generation iPod touch.

Welcome to diverse technology.

7. TheComposer macrumors member

Typical Ad Hominem...

OP, don't make this threads, no one can stands someoe smarter than themselves telling them the true. This is specifically for the answer I'm replying too, and probably for the "royalties" dude. Hate me too.

8. nraudigy2, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

nraudigy2 macrumors member

Modern Warefare 3 isn't even out on Android yet. Support for android is bad. The main reason I switched to iPhone because of stability and apps support.

9. jake921660 macrumors regular

the game will run on most high end android phones comfortably, but i think there is some sort of partnership deal with nvidia that gets it released on tegra phones first. its not suppose to be compatible with my sgs2 but it ran fine when i got it going

10. nraudigy2 macrumors member

11. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Dude, who cares which platform it's selling better on. Just be happy that a real game like Grand Theft Auto is out on the App Store and Android marketplace for us to enjoy.

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Vast majority of iPhone users don't buy games like that to play on them.

13. thenerdal macrumors 65816

I don't think that's true.

14. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

For £3 sterling I get a complete version of GTA3 on my iphone 4, which is a delight to actually play !

No complaints from me.

15. jayhtee macrumors newbie

Personally I'd much rather spend a bit more and be able to play it with a real controller.

As much as I love my iPad/iPhone, playing games like this with virtual controls makes me cry! :rolleyes:

16. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

For a touch game, the controls are excellent - BUT there still terrible when compared to a controller.

17. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Android user on Mac forums, hating.

[​IMG]

18. dba415 macrumors 6502

Yes I think everyone knows that apps sell better on iOS and the development ecosystem for Android is terrible with all the fragmentation etc.

19. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

Ah yes, the ever present "I have no relevant facts or information to debate your point so I will just insult you" argument. So ineffective, but so widely used! :rolleyes:

20. commendatori macrumors newbie

21. moargolems macrumors regular

Android is ugly, lags and sucks, lol.

:)

22. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Trolling troll.

23. Nekcik macrumors member

Nekcik

24. murdoc158 macrumors regular

Obvious troll is obvious.

To the OP, given that you can side-load apps it doesn't surprise me that Android numbers are way off. I fully expect iOS apps to outsell Android apps regardless, but to "pirate" a game from Android you just need to upload the .APK to the internet and let anyone else download and play. You can also download the game, back it up, and return it via the market within 15 minutes for a full refund. Once that's done, simply restore the file from backup and the full game is yours once again.

Given how blatantly easy it is to steal Android apps, I'm amazed the Android market has any sales. There's always the few honest people and the people supporting the developers (which I HIGHLY endorse), but it's so easy to get apps from other sources.