Grand Total of My App's Launch Day Sales

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by taptapdev, Jan 7, 2011.

1. taptapdev, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

taptapdev macrumors newbie

2. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Don't feel alone.

I'm not a developer, however I see the Mac App Store as a huge win for Apple. Sadly it may very well mark the day when, and I quote "this changes everything". Bad news for people who work hard on good software, not silly games, and another step towards Apples fierce desire to dictate everything.

Open is a four letter word that sends many a Mac devotee into sheer panic.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

LOL who the hell is forcing people to develop for the App store?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

There is nothing to stop anyone from continuing to buy apps from sources other than the Mac App Store. There is no reason for Apple to require that apps must be from the Mac App Store to be used.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Apple did not close the internet..therefore..every site that existed before from which software could be downloaded still exists..so..

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I'm impressed that you have an app in the app store. Perhaps if you told us which app it was you might sell more than one (actually if you sell one a day that might not be bad).

One the bright side, you're not paying hosting fees or charge card fees. Best of luck.

7. Photics macrumors regular

I don't think it's that simple. Pixelmator is a good example...

http://www.pixelmator.com/transition/

The site states, "we are fully committed to supporting the Mac App Store by completely moving Pixelmator sales and distribution to the Mac App Store in the upcoming months."

It looks like they're going exclusive.

8. taptapdev thread starter macrumors newbie

My app is a Hangman word guess game called 'Balloony Word'. A friend of mine did the graphics and I did the programming for iOS and Mac. Here is the app store link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/balloony-word/id412686586?mt=12

If you do check it out, please tell me if/why it sucks, or not :D

I would give you a promo code if Apple enabled such thing for Mac App Store. But that's another topic.

9. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I thought it was a fun game - worth $2. I think I'd pay it more on my phone than on my MBP, but it's a cute little time waster.

Thanks

10. newdeal macrumors 68020

You would sell more if you just called it hangman and used the art as a way to make it stand out against the other hangman games. Your name for it makes it sound like its for 2 year olds

11. taptapdev, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011

taptapdev thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point, thanks! Now I am seriously considering changing the name to Hangman in the next update. Hopefully Hangman is not a trademark of anyone.

Sure, I can see that. The original idea actually started on the iPhone.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

This is one single company so far. No one is forcing Pixelmator or anyone else to use the Mac App Store exclusively. Any developer who wants to make software and sell it via website can continue to do so.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm impressed with the volume of apps, I was a naysayer in the success of the app store, but clearly, I was wrong.

Now I spent a grand total of $0 on launch day :eek: but noticing some of the pricing, such as pixelmator, I opted for that yesterday, since they promised version 2 for free. Photoshop CS3 is a pain to use on 10.6, and for my needs this should be fine.

My concern is that it will kill off other avenues for publishing apps. I mean I can get an app in so many ways, like macupdate, but if its not economically feasible to keep macupdate running, they'll close up shop. Then we're left with apps that only apple approves.

Sure that big guys, like Microsoft, adobe, etc will still sell their apps outside of the app store, but the little stuff that makes OSX so much better may lose out in distribution channels.

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I bought Pages and Keynote because my copies were illegal.

15. taptapdev, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011

taptapdev thread starter macrumors newbie

I sure hope that 'these little stuff' will find a way to thrive within or outside of the official app store. I bet someone is going to set up an alternative 'store' soon. Who knows.

Second day sales: 7.

Yawn :rolleyes:

16. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

MacUpdate is beginning to create pages for apps in the Mac App Store with the download link leading to the Mac App Store.

If a lot of developers become exclusive to the Mac App Store such that their software is not included in the discounted MacUpdate software bundles, MacUpdate will lose some revenue if it runs out of options to create sellable software bundles.

17. akm3 macrumors 68020

Don't forget the Mac app store requires 10.6.6 which many people haven't downloaded (or upgraded to Snow Leopard yet)

It isn't like the iOS store and likely won't be.

Also, most people with Macs already have them running like they like, there isn't huge pent up demand for apps because there was already a mechanism to get apps.

This will be slow burn/steady growth not an explosion.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

OP thank you very much for contributing to the MAS, honestly. :). My only feedback would be that, well, it's just "Hangman" and at $2 I think it's a bit more expensive than other games of higher popularity. For example, Chopper 2 is only $.99 and it's getting some great reviews.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I kind of doubt if that will happen. They'd need to get developers on board and provide services superior to what is apple is providing. I'm not seeing much of a economic motivation that might provide.

As I said, I think the MAS will suck the life out of places like MacUpdate in the long run.

20. osplo macrumors member

Well done.

I am supporting the iWork effort also, despite I am still forced to use Office. I bought the family package and Pages and Keynote on my iPad.

iWork is more usable, I want it to be even more compatible (100% if possible) and I will uninstall Microsoft Office and throw a big party that day. No more MS in my life, please.

21. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Pixelmator's devs are very likely to honor that promise. I got Pixelmator as part of a MacHeist bundle a few years ago, and they've been allowing free updates ever since. It's a nice PS Elements-like app.

Admittedly, the day I established my App Store account, I spent a grand total of $0 too. :D The next day, I snagged Chopper 2 because of the limited-time pricing. My wife has Angry Birds on her iPod touch, and I think that it's better as an iOS time-waster than a full-screen Mac app, so I'll skip that one.

By the way, whoever wrote Caffeine is my hero of the moment, and I still can't believe it's free. I would have paid for that one.

22. nanoboy macrumors member

No more MS in my life, please, hahaha.... Can't agree more regarding MS Office!

Yeah I like Pages and it's my preferred word processor, however as said above, it's not 100% compatible, when it comes to formatting, numbered list, spanning one row of a table across two pages. But it's getting there and usable, in most other situations. But 100% compatible is important when I need to share documents with people at work.

However Keynote, it's so good that I insist on using it even I have to convert it to powerpoint (without the awesome features) to send to people. Can't wait for iWork'11 from the app store!! Somehow the app store distribution method actually makes me want to purchase a legal copy.
    [I bought iWork'08 and didn't pay for iWork'09]

23. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

Yeah, I saw it and though it was a kids game, I was going to (I still may) buy it for my son to help with spelling. :D

Having a clever name does help, I think the name alone could be affecting sales.

Give it time, don't give up on the App Store, I think it's going to be huge once it gets rolling.

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Dumb question. Do you think you would have sold more in two days putting it on your own website and submitting it to MacUpdate?

Are you doing any other promotion/advertising?

B

25. rien333 macrumors regular

I think Hangman would be a very boring and unorginal name. I do not want to buy a game with the name Hangman. It just does not sound very atractive. I would try a more out standing name, for example a more fancyer version of the word Hangman.

Oh, and I love the looks of your game. :) Keep on working!