Grandfather buying first Mac today,any advantages of waiting ML preinstalled? :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ksh, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Ksh macrumors member

Hi,first of all I want to thank you for this great site.I've been reading yous since long time ago.

Well, today I'm gonna buy mi frist Mac a MBA 13" but just have seen ML is gonna be released very soon.So should I wait a couple of weeks to have it preinstalled?.

As an old windows user really don't know about pros and cons of having a OSX preinstalled.I think that if you have a default OS you cannot put a previous release when you format the system.Also 128gb are not much to have both OS (Lion + Mountain) installed or does Lion dessapears freeing space when the machine is upgraded to ML?.Really dunno if i should wait or not due to not knowing de pros and cons of.Could someone just help with rock arguments? :D

I'm very sorry if it's a trivial question but have been searching and didn't find something concluyent about it,just saving an ugrade and all that stuff.Also excuss me about my english,I'm a bit old to speak another language hehe

In conclusion buy now or wait,I'm not hurry just wouldn't like to regret about the buy.

Thank you very much in advance for your time...Have a nice day

2. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

You could wait, but if you buy one now all you will have to do is download Mountain Lion when it comes out from the Mac App Store, and it'll walk you through the update process. The whole thing shouldn't take more than an hour to do.

Lion would in essence "go away," as all of its core components will be replaced with Mountain Lions components. Hope the helps!

3. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

If you buy a new 2012 MBA, you'll get ML for free when it will be available, so there is no need to wait. It will integrate on Lion, so you won't have 2 OS. If you are not going to store moveis, picture, or any large database files, you don't need more than 128GB HD - it's more than enough (especially if you are not going to install WIN7 via VM or bootcamp).

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Mountain Lion vs. Lion isn't going to matter to you in terms of usage. The only thing it saves you is upgrading to ML in the future, which is usually a pretty painless process.

5. Ksh thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for the answers...very appreciated

It seems all would wait so that must be for something hehe

If the upgrade process is painless then I'm gonna wait because I'm not hurry about buy.Once ML is released how much time usually takes to have it preinstalled on machines?,from your experience.

I gonna buy in a physical apple store,maybe in afew days/weeks after launch? os just the same day? :)

Regards.

6. Wokis macrumors regular

I am interpreting the responses in your thread in the complete opposite way :)

You don't have to wait, since upgrading OS yourself is likely going to be a painless (and free) process. When you upgrade, Lion goes away and gets replaced by ML.

Of course nothing beats pre-installed. If you can wait, you may do so. Unfortunately I don't know how long it will take until you're guaranteed a machine with ML preinstalled.

7. Ksh thread starter macrumors member

Oh! Just understood it wrong then,nerf my english level hehe
    Thank you a lot for clarifying...that's make sense.

Anyway if nothing beats OSX preinstalled let's see if someone know about estimated time for preinstalled machines since release according to previous exprecience and release :)

Regards!

8. n1tut macrumors regular

If I could speak your native language a fraction as well as you speak English, I would be proud of myself.

tut

9. Ksh thread starter macrumors member

Thank you a lot :)

Uhm I've read that when a OSX is launched the machines at the store got this one preinstalled.
    So gonna wait untill then unless someone tellme that this it's not true and takes months hehe

Regards!

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I would wait just for the sake of your grandfather, explaining to him how to use a mac may take some time if he is computer illiterate, you probably don't want to have to do it again with the new features in mountain lion.

I also have a question. Once I update my Macbook Air to Mountain Lion, does my recovery partition also upgrade to Mountain Lion, or does it remain as Lion and I would have to run the update anytime I re-install the OS?

11. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

I purchased an iMac at an Apple store in October 2011 and it came with Snow Leopard installed (the version of OS X before Lion). They told me all they had in stock were Snow Leopard iMacs. Lion was released in July 2011, so around three months later and the Apple store still had old stock. Now this Apple store is not in a major city so their turnover rate may be much slower than where you are.

12. Ksh thread starter macrumors member

Thank you mates :)

Finally we went to the only apple store that exists here in Madrid to solve some questions hehe

Caramsoft that is exactly the estimated time we got in our answer.They tolds us (based on previous releases and vendor experience) that until the store don't sell all units in stock they don't get new units with ML preinstalled,so that is 3-4 months after release date.Also told us the only way to have ML preinstalled on machine is buying it online the release date.

Fernandez21 yes,that was another question we did hehe When you upgrade OSX the recovery partition also upgrade,that means you can always do a clean install for that last OSX installed in the machine so you don't need to install the default OSX that came with machine and upgrade.The only restriction about this is that you cannot install a previous OSX from the default one.Also they told us that buying now you get a key for 5 licenses to install in 5 machines instead just getting 1 from the pre-installed.

In conclusion,the "genius" mates confirmed there is no benefit for waiting preinstalled,indeed you loose 4 licenses wich is really a buck save if you have more macs to upgrade.The only adventage is saving time upgrading hehe

So finally we bought it,the base 13" MacBook Air model and opened there while they teached us how to use a Mac :) Amazing,just instant times for everything and no noise and hot at all!!

Have a nice day,I'll see you here from now as a mac user! And thanks a lot for your time an sweet swords to everyone!

PS:Enjoy San Fermin party with a famous joke here for all people drunked on floor along these days hehe http://alikosanfermin.tumblr.com/