Carrier Grandfathered UDP ATT Account Holder, what are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Asharus, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Asharus macrumors member

I've been an ATT customer since 1999. I currently have 2 lines with the grandfathered UDP, $150/mo, which now went up to $159/mo after the recent $5 additional increase per line for UDP.

My plan is a super old plan called Family talk 700mins with rollover, with 200 bonus mins each line and unlimited text/data/mobile to any mobile. So it's basically unlimited everything. My current rollover minutes is over 7000 and never even gets touched before they expire after 12 months.

I've been enjoying the free iphone upgrade every year due to the subsidy pricing, but now those days are over.... Do we have better options out there now? I don't mind paying in full, unless Next is interest free, then I'll just do that....

Or should I switch to TMO?

2. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I think you have a few options if you stay with AT&T. If you do nothing with your plan, you can add your phones with Next and your bill will go up a bit, depending on how long you decide to pay off your phones. When they're paid off, your bill will then drop to the current rate you have now. You can also buy a phone at full-price and your bill will stay the same.

If you change plans, it all comes down to how much data you use - AT&T has some pretty good prices for some plans, and if you call retentions, they can find some "secret" ones that have more data. It all depends on which ones you pick, but I just helped a friend do this - she and her dad had two separate lines on a FamilyTalk plan and it ended up costing them about $20 less since she didn't need unlimited data. That will more than cover the cost of her Next payment (her dad is still fulfilling an old contract, so his line will drop once it's over and then him getting next will also probably be a wash).

They have a calculator on their site to see how much the new rate plans are, so you can kind of play with your options ahead of time. Just out of curiosity, how much data are you and the other line using each month? This is really the make-or-break portion.

AT&T also has a new unlimited data plan, but it's $100 for the first line and then $40 for the next and you must have DirecTV or U-verse TV service to qualify. You'll have to add the Next payment on top of that.

Switching to T-Mobile is another option, but you may need to look at coverage in your area and if they have rolled out 700MHz (aka Band 12/Extended Range LTE) coverage. If they have, you'll need a 6s or an SE to take advantage of it.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Asharus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. If ATT Next costs the same and has no interest and costs the same over time as paying in full, I think I'll do that.

I like having UDP for peace of mind, since you never know if your data usage will increase over time. As of right now, I average about 4-5gb per month, and the wife averages about 5-6gb per month.

5. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I think the 15GB plan would probably be worth looking at. Without any work/school discounts, it runs $100/month and has Rollover Data for the next month (unused data goes to the next month and then expires - not bad for peace of mind). You'd have to add $15 for each phone to access the data (tablets are $10) - this also gives the phones unlimited minutes and texts, so for your service, it would be $130 before taxes.

Depending on the device you get, your Next payments would be added on top of that (varies based on which device, length of the plan, etc.), but you won't pay $0/$100/$200/etc. up front like you did with your contracts.

Supposedly if you call 611 and talk to the retentions department, there are two other data plans they were running, especially if you throw out a mention of T-Mobile: $80/10GB and $100/20GB. Either way, if you do move to the newer plans, you can share a pool of data and have tethering added.

T-Mobile is doing some promotions, so it looks like 2 lines for 10GB/each is $100 (on sale from $140) or unlimited for $120 (on sale from $170) before any device payments.

As for device payments (AT&T Next or T-Mobile's payments), they're 0% interest and basically the cost of the device divided by the number of months to pay it. AT&T brands their Next plans by the number of payments before you can trade for a new phone (Next 12 lets you trade in and reset at 12, but you're done with payments at 20), but either way, once your devices are paid off, your service stays the same.

6. Asharus thread starter macrumors member

Actually I just got done looking at the 15gb shared plans and it does sound very appealing. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to consider it and speak to the retention department to see what other options I have.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2016 ---
    Yeah so it seems I'll save around $40 per month if I switch to the 15gb shared plan, since my plan is 169/mo before my 20% employee discount.

I'm wondering what the other 2 retention plans are. I don't think the retention dept is open tonight.

7. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

Nice - they do tend to run a little more than T-Mobile plans, but there is something to be said about familiarity and using your existing phones if you're happy with AT&T. Besides that, with the newer plans, you can add things like the Mexico Roaming Bonus and Canada Roaming Bonus if you travel within North America (have to add for each line) - those add free calling to the US and 1GB of data/month when you're in those countries for free.

But I digress, another good resource (usually) is if you have a corporate-owned AT&T store in your area. They'll compare your plans and can answer any questions about Next and whatnot.
    They probably aren't - the easiest way to reach them is to dial 611 and ask to cancel your wireless service. Typically if you talk to them and are polite/pleasant, they'll add the promo plans no-questions-asked. About 2 months ago I had the $80 for 10GB of data and then switched to $100 for 20GB of data. I'm not sure if they're still offering those, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Those prices were all before my work discount and then whatever line access costs you'd as ($15/phone).

At worst, you get a little less data and save $20/month over the official plan, or you pay the same and get 5GB more. :)

8. BentTable123 macrumors member

Talk to at&t over chat and switch to a cheaper voice plan since you're not using much. Old plans such as 550 minutes for $59.99 should be available to you. They might be able to give you free texting or $10 unlimited texting. Keep your grandfathered unlimited data, it's worth it since you probably get 20% discount already.

The other option that would save a boatload of money is to switch to gophone. 2 lines with 5 gb each with rollover would cost $110 per month. You would also get unlimited talk and text.

9. Asharus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll take a look at that old 550 min plan too.
    Hmm, I just looked at my bill and the family 700 is $60 already

10. BentTable123 macrumors member

Does that mean you're paying $30 for unlimited messaging? Do you really need it or is pay per text cheaper?

11. Asharus thread starter macrumors member

hmm yeah, i used 1500 texts and my wife used about 1000 last month.