Grandpas Are For Finding Worms™

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacDawg, Dec 29, 2008.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My 10 month old granddaughter got me this book for Christmas... ;)

[​IMG]

So I am wondering... what was your Grandpa good for? :)
    What is your favorite memory, experience, adventure??

What makes a good Grandpa in your opinion?
    I never knew either of my Grandpas... both were gone before I came on the scene
    And both my parents passed while my son and daughter were 6 and 4

I need some advice on how to succeed in this uncharted territory
    I failed miserably as a father and as a husband... this is my last chance :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

2. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

grandpa's are good for one thing...spoiling grandkids. :p

nah, seriously...my dad's dad is one of those grandpas that you really don't like to visit. he's grumpy, he's no fun, he used to be a car salesman. ;) i never liked spending time with him and he was impossible to talk to. i genuinely believe that he just doesn't like kids. he even took my cousin and i to DisneyWorld...but he complained and grumbled about being there the whole time. :(

my mom's dad, on the other hand...i wish i could've had more time with him. when i was wee-little he was my favorite person, and i was his girl. he let me help him with things, he never yelled at me, and he just always made me feel welcome and important and loved. he played dolls with me, he gave me piggyback rides, he was just awesome. he had a debilitating stroke when i was 6 and we never got to do those things again. but in the hospital, i was the first person he smiled at. :eek: no matter what, i was his girl.

sorry for rambling but the point is...he was just always there, always seemed to be happy playing dolls even if he hated it, and he really seemed to be really grateful for the chance to be a grandpa.

i'm sure you'll do a great job, MacDawg. :) just love her with all you've got and always make sure she knows that you do. i'm sure you'll figure it out from there.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

One of my grandfathers died when I was 7 , so I have few memories of him. My other one was the best. All he wanted to do were spoil his boys (my brother and me) as he only had daughters. Aside of all the material things, he taught me a lot. When my parents got divorced, he stepped up and filled the role of my dad when he wasn't around but never got in the middle of all the divorce BS.

He died when I was in my early 20s. Damn, Dawg, now you got me all teary eyed remembering him.

I'm sure you'll do great as a grandfather. Just be there for her. Call her on the phone often if you can't see her in person.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Same for me, and I regret having never known them.

5. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

During christmas time my grandparents used to have a candy dish out that had a glass top and I used to ask my grampa if I could have a candy and he would tell me if I could take the top off without making a sound. So thats what I remember, trying to take off the glass top without making a sound.

That and he was a fisherman so the smell of fish reminds me of him. He passed a couple of years ago, I believe this January 11th will mark the 4th year.

6. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't want to be "that grandpa" :(

I want to be "that grandpa" :)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

as long as you care enough to know which grandpa you want to be, i think you'll be just fine. ;)

8. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

What kinds of things did he teach you?

The first page of the "book" says, "Grandpas know about birds. And bugs. And rocks."
    See, I don't know anything about those things. :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think you need to know about those things specifically. Just find something that your granddaughter is interested in and share that with her, make sure that you spend time with her, lastly make sure that you work on your relationship with her parents.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I didn't know mine either. :(

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You may not know a lot about birds or bugs or rocks but you know more than your grand-daughter. I'm very close to my niece and I remember saying to my mom, what the hell do I know about being a girl. But I learned. I can plan a tea party with the best of them. ;)

He taught me so many things, I don't know where to begin. Some of my earliest memories are of watching baseball with him and learning why I shouldn't like the Yankees. :p He was an old Brooklyn Dodger fan and never forgave them for moving.

So many other things... we used to walk in the woods near our summer home and he would show me bugs and trees and we caught frogs. Boy stuff. The value of money and saving, the value of hard work, how to BBQ, hot to use tools and work with wood, taught me to drive, let me drive his Cadillac when I got my license (how cool was that? A 17 year old cruising around in a new 1979 Cadillac).

My best advice is just to be there for her. As ezzie said, as long as you care enough to know which grandpa you want to be, i think you'll be just fine.

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My grandfather on my dad's side died when I was about 18 months old, so I never knew him.

My grandfather on my mom's side however, is alive and kickin' at 80 years old. :) He's a very peculiar man, though. He's not mean or anything, but he doesn't particularly like talking to anyone besides his close friends and wife. He spoiled the heck out of me and my siblings when we were younger, but now all of us are past that stage (Well, except for my brother, but he's nearing the end of it.) and he's really not too fun to hang around anymore, just because it's extremely hard to get a few words out of him...

One of my favorite things to do with him was go flying in his plane. :) He had a small two seater prop engine plane, and he took me up in it often, letting me fly it in the air occasionally. Ah, good times.

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

My mother's father being gone before I was born, and my dad's dad by the time I was ten or so (and being very old-school, as in children should be seen as little as possible and never heard), I have no idea what a grandfather should or shouldn't be. Although I'm more than old enough to be one, thankfully I am not, and never will be.

There are plenty of grandparents in my neighborhood and amongst my peers, and mostly they're just annoying.

14. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Quite a legacy he left you rdowns
    No wonder you got teary eyed remembering him ;)
    Sounds like you were able to spend a lot of time with him
    Unfortunately, I don't think that is going to be the case in my situation
    I will have to make the most of the times I do get :eek:

Excellent memories Cassie! Especially the flying! What a treat!
    It is sad when they grow older and lose that personal interaction, but I guess that is when they need you more than you need them in your life... even if they don't know how to show it. I don't want to be a mean old man, the grumpy grandpa. :(

Not very comforting JNB... I am afraid that is who I will turn out to be :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I too have a ten month old grand daughter MacDawg! Good on us... My fraternal grand father was the sort of guy who was hard to know. He took me fishing and hunting when I was 10 or so, but it always felt like it was an obligation to him. However, watching my Dad with my kids, well that was something entirely dofferent. They still worship the ground he walks on at 26,21 and 18 respectively. He was always there for them and taught them how to do various things, but mainly he was interested in what they did. He never missed a ball game, or school play. That is how I want to be for my grand daughter. Just let her know you love her every time you talk to her, that she is special. You will figure the rest out in time. At least you have the desire to be a good grand father.

16. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Seems to be a common theme... teaching them to do certain things
    Could be a real challenge since I don't know how to do much of anything :eek:
    With the advantages kids have today, she will be teaching me things instead :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

That's even better; it will give her a sense of value and self-respect that so many children are lacking these days.

Both of my grandfathers died 30 years before I was born. But I have watched my father with my children.

He has done an excellent job of teaching them manners and self-respect, just by example. They watch him closely, how he treats others, and the way he is eventually rewarded for it.

It's priceless. Grandparents teach humanity and warmth in a cold world. You have been given a beautiful gift, and you will bless her with it just by being there.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

19. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

20. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Fortunately, that part I think I can handle... the rest I am not so sure about :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Grandpas should probably avoid telling too many compromising stories about their offspring...

22. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm not sure how many is too many ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

23. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I think that my dad realized that since he doesn't have to raise my kids, he can just give them undivided attention, love, and toys. My dad was never as gentle with me as he is with my kids, but a lot of that seems to come down to the fact that he leaves the parenting up to the parents (tip: don't be interfering with the way your kids want to bring up their kids). That does mean that sometimes he treats kids to things we don't approve of, like junk food or sweets with food coloring. However, I'm fine with it so long as he doesn't endanger them!

Stories ARE very important. Not just stories about your kids, but any stories or songs you know. One of my grandfathers was a great storyteller (Cherokee, so I guess it was inbuilt) and I loved him for it. He was poor as anything, but my sister and I loved to go to his house, endure the smell of old dog pee and plastic cheese just to hear his stories. He told stories about bears, about distant family members, about his parents signing the Dawes Rolls, about lots of silly things like worms who lived in his apples, ladybugs putting out fires, etc etc. In his dotage his stories turned into weird anecdotes about Oprah and Jerry Springer, which was a shame since I would have been able to remember more stories from that time. Still, even if you don't know that many stories, read to them. Try not to be the guy that they call when they want the latest lego, and only then..

Congrats on the grandchildren by the way!

24. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

That number is exactly six more than you can actually remember. Stories are better if there are embarrassing pictures to go with them.

I really don't think it matters what you do so much as that you do. Spend time with them, do things they are interested in, and try to at least show them what you are interested in.

25. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Spoiling you, giving you candy, randomly giving you money, taking you to fairs, fixing broken things, making you teach how to use a computer :D