GRAPHIC: Okla. police officer’s body-cam

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 24, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://wtvr.com/2015/01/23/muskogee-fatal-shooting-on-officers-body-cam/

Body cams work, less questionable shootings by officers

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, they certainly provide more clarity but in this case it hardly vindicates the officer's actions. The suspect stopped running in order to pick up something that he had dropped and as he turned to continue running, the cop shot him. I can see how the cop may have thought that the suspect was about to aim a gun at him but as the video shows, that wasn't the case.

Basically, the cop chose to error on the side of caution and although he may have been in the right legally, I don't think anyone should be high five'ing the guy and telling him "good job".

3. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'm with ya man, cop should have waited till he was shot (at) first. No patience among our LEO's these days.

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Maybe you didn't see the same video. I could understand if the cop shot the suspect while he was facing the cop but the cop didn't start shooting until the suspect already had his back to him.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's fair.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Doesn't matter at that point. The cop knew he had a gun. If you run from police and you have a gun, they are in the right to shoot you with your back turned towards them, based on you proving yourself to be armed and dangerous. That goes for illegal and legal gun possession.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so anyone that runs and has a gun should be shot huh?

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If a cop is trying to restrain you with cuffs and you run, then YES. How do you think the cop would feel if the guy got away, and that same guy shot someone dead days, weeks, or months later?

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    He had a gun on hand, he was threatening people with it, and ran when the cop found it on the pat down. I'd say he represented a pretty direct threat to the safety of the public.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so if you just run away from a cop you deserve to be shot?

11. zin macrumors 6502

An officer is not required to wait until the suspect aims their firearm before opening fire.

The man was clearly acting suspiciously and evaded detainment. If I were to see a handgun fall on the ground, which was loaded, in those circumstances I too would have followed through with the officer's actions.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Not if you're simply running, no. I wouldn't be nearly so forgiving if this were an unarmed teenager running from the police after shoplifting some Snickers bars.

But this guy wasn't just running.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Cop was restraining the suspect.

Suspect physically breaks away during the process of cop restraining him.

Suspect runs away.

Suspect drops gun while running.

Suspect picks gun back up.

Suspect attempts to keep running away or do whatever.

Suspect gets shot by police.

Do you see anything wrong with this scenario? Cause I don't.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

cop should have waited till the criminal shot at him 5-10 times BEFORE returning fire.

[/S

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yes, but he made the decision to fire when the suspect was coming up after picking up an object. And, the man did so after breaking contact when the officer tried to handcuff him and ran.

The officer doesn't know that the man is going to turn and run, nor does he know if the man is about to discharge the weapon. And, when that doubt exists, police officers are trained to fire their weapon.

16. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Looks like what I would call a good shoot.

It was a run and gun, and the officer is not obligated to wait for it to turn into a two way range before taking action.

17. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I'm fairly liberal and anti-cop, I see nothing to fault the officer in this video. Unless there was more to the video of what happened before, this looks like justifiable force.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Where do you get this stuff?

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, if that is in fact the law, it doesn't seem very sensible because it essentially forces a gunfight. The criminal is left with the choice of getting shot in the back while attempting to flee or stand and fight and possibly kill a cop. If this becomes common knowledge to criminals, that puts more cop lives in danger.

Agreed but why not first fire a warning shot into the air and try to scare the suspect into surrendering?

I agree that the decision to shoot was probably made when the suspect was kneeling down but he did not act on that decision until the suspect had turned and started to run.

People aren't like terminator machines where once a command has been given to kill, there is no turning back.

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The bullet has to land somewhere, I'd rather it not land on anything not involved.

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

I think the message here is "We will no longer chase or even attempt to apprehend a fleeing suspect. We'll just kill him instead, whether he's actually done anything or not."

'Murica!

22. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

If you run and have a gun I would say not to shoot, but since he dropped the gun (pr something)while running he should have not stopped turned around and pick it up.

Had the suspect not run, nor pick up the fallen gun things could have ended up better for him.

23. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

No, that's the just spin you're trying to put on it being an arrogant cop hater.

24. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

Maybe that's the way it works in NY, but I am skeptical. In California you had better be able to articulate your actions better than, "he had a gun and ran when I tried to arrest him" to justify shooting him in the back. I don't think you'd make it through the review board and John Burris would have a field day with you and your department.