Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I currently own a '12 15" rMBP (2.6 i7 w/ 16 GB, 256 SSD). As a Graphic/Web Designer, my computer is extremely important to me. I figure if my computer is faster, I spend less time waiting for files to load/save/etc, which translates to more money in my pocket.

Is the upgrade from a '12 rMBP to '13 rMBP going to see any performance difference? I use primarily Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Dreamweaver.

I had been considering the upgrade, just to increase my HD size. But, I'm curious about any speed bump.

Note: I would love to get a new MP, but I need to have a laptop as I take my laptop with me between my office and home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rick

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I hate to bump my post - but with all of the new rMBP chatter it quickly dropped off the page.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with my question.

Thanks in advance.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Your current machine is more than powerful enough. You went for the long haul when you opted for the 16GB RAM. Enjoy it.

Thanks Animalk. I do enjoy, just always looking for ways to be more efficient. :D

Maybe I will set aside the money for when they update the TBD. I'm hoping they do when the Mac Pro is released. While I don't think a 4k display will be in the cards (as least at a reasonable price) - I would love to see an updated display like the iMacs have (not as reflective) with the addition of TB 2 and USB 3. :cool:

AlecMyrddyn

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Southern Maine
From the reading of specs and reviews, there are two small performance advantages for the new Haswell 15" rMBP:

The new PCIe SSD performance is benchmarking at ~40% faster than the SATA SSD in your current 15" rMBP.

If I'm reading Geekbench results correctly, it appears that the new high-end Haswell 2.6 GHz i7 is maybe 6% faster for 32-bit single core tasks, and 30% faster for 32-bit multi core than your Ivy Bridge 2.6 i7. For 64 bit results, it's about 15% faster for both single and multi-core.

If you compare the new Hasewll 2.3 to your 2.6, single-core 32 bit benchmarks are about the same, and multi-core 32 bit shows about 20% faster. 64-bit single and multi-core benchmarks show the 2.3 Haswell being about 6% faster for both.

Then there's 802.11ac WiFi, TB2, and the more efficient power usage.

Up to you if that's enough to justify the money to get the new model.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
No way. Save your money and wait for a more meaningful upgrade.

The modest performance bump you'll get from Haswell will be largely unnoticeable in everyday use.

Realistically speaking, Haswell is an extra hour of battery life and a $200 price drop. The majority of other improvements over the 2012 model are, for all intents and purposes, ephemeral.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.