Graphics Card & Monitor for Mac Pro 1,1

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by uMac, Aug 29, 2011.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

I currently have MacPro 1,1 with a 7300 GT card and I'm wanting a faster card for steam and rendering video files using Adobe and FCPX. Currently my videos are AVCHD 1080p from a GH2 but I will likely upgrade to a Professional grade video camera within 6 months.

I'm also wanting to find a screen that is IPS with good colour correction as I'm currently unhappy with my TN panel. 24' or more?

Suggestions?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What is your budget for these things? There is ATI 5770 for $249 which is probably your best bet. As for the display, Dell U2411 and HP ZR24W are pretty good and affordable. If you want a bigger one, then you will have to spend ~$1000.

3. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I have $1000 for the upgrades (plus whatever I sell the current card or monitor for)

As I have space should I add to or replace the current graphics card?

For the monitor 24" is fine as I have looked and getting to 27-30" I might as well by two smaller ones for the same price.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Unless you need more than three monitors (the maximum of what ATI 5770/5870 provides), you should just replace the GPU with the new one. 7300 GT is fairly slow by today's standards and it's not that useful to keep it plugged in and sucking power.

5. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like the 5770 is my best option, any idea how much of a boost I will be getting in terms of overall processing power?

6. yellowbunny macrumors regular

I just installed the 5770 in my MP 1,1 and the general day to day advantages are relatively small (but there), but as soon as you open FCPX it is like using a different computer (the old card isn't officialy supported but does work). I can not recommend the upgrade enough if you are planning on using FCPX.