Graphics card replacement covered under warranty with unrelated water damage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GiancaTomo, Nov 30, 2013.

1. GiancaTomo macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a MBP that's about 11 months old. Two weeks ago a horizontal line appeared at the bottom of my monitor and the machine hasn't taken any hits. After a bunch of searches I've developed a strong hunch that the line is being caused by an issue with the graphics card.

About six months ago I foolishly spilled some water on my machine. It turns out that the water damaged the connection between the battery and a circuit board. A non-authorized repair shop took care of the repairs. The line on the monitor didn't show up until at least five months after the minor water damage.

Do you think there is a chance that the graphics card issue would be covered under warranty considering there's been some water damage on my machine? Also, my machine(non retina MacBook Pro Mid 2012) has been discontinued. Thank you for your insight and your time.

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Because of the water damage, it might be up to the discretion of the specific apple store you go to. I am pretty sure water damage voids the warranty and Apple will try to get out of replacing your logic board any way it can.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Not just the water damage but the repair by a non-authorized repair shop.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Pretty much going to be an issue of whether the repair is obvious, or the moisture sensors are tripped on the logic board.

5. GiancaTomo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your input! Yea, when they crack open the machine I'll bet that they will find that at least one of the water sensors has been triggered. That's why I am thinking about telling them before hand that there was some water damage but it wasn't a bubble bath and it has been resolved.

6. jerrykur macrumors newbie

Not all damage due to liquids happens immediately. It can take time for compounds that formed to corrode or otherwise damage components. If the water sensor tags are tripped I suspect they will deny coverage.

7. GiancaTomo thread starter macrumors newbie

I am glad to find this out before showing up with my machine. The machine is running fine besides the small line running through the bottom of the monitor.
    Do apple stores typically open up laptops and look into them while you are there or will they ship it off to be inspected?

8. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

Let them know, you just might get lucky. I had a user at work spill some water on his machine, I called it in for a repair quote, sent it in, and they sent it back with a logic board replacement, covered under warranty.

9. GiancaTomo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. I now feel like the right move is to let them know in person about the water damage before they crack it open. Thank you.

10. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33